Baldur's Gate - whole series for ten quid

Walsingham

I never actually finished Baldur's Gate. I played it several times, both alone and with TotSC, but I hit the level cap long before I came close to the end of the game, and once my party stopped leveling, I lost interest immediately. Was there a story to the game? I can't remember. Somethign about bad iron in the mines of Nashkel or some other drivel. Or was I looking for a water chip? Darned if I know.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I never actually finished Baldur's Gate. I played it several times, both alone and with TotSC, but I hit the level cap long before I came close to the end of the game, and once my party stopped leveling, I lost interest immediately. Was there a story to the game? I can't remember. Somethign about bad iron in the mines of Nashkel or some other drivel. Or was I looking for a water chip? Darned if I know.

I really liked the game but I've never finished it either. I've made it to the last chapter twice, but I always seemed to hit some bug or another that would prevent me from getting any further. <_<

I purchased and played BG1 late last year for the first time, and I enjoyed it more than I enjoy most current games. Roaming the pleasant countrysides and stopping in the occasional town was fun, but I really was floored when I got to the city of Baldur's Gate. That game was really huge (especially for its time), and the low levels really heightened the changes as your character gained experience.

I agree. I've just re-installed the series to have another go.

Both BG1 and BG2:SoA allowed me to reach the maximum level before the end of the game (ToB fixed this, but it has its own issues). Thankfully I can modify games so I'm never entirely at the developer's mercy; I just hope they get most of the kinks worked out of the engine code before they quit supporting it. I can handle data modifications.

Anyway, there's something magical about starting at level 1 and being ignorant of the world around you. Every new level brings new power and new options, and a sigh of relief that now you can survive a little better. I played SSI's Pool of Radiance forever for similar reasons.

I think BG1 is one of most memorable games ever.

Of course, when I first heard of it, I had never experienced D&D outside of reading some Dragonlance novels. Come to think of it, BG1 was probably my first RPG experience.

But the idea of creating my own character and roaming around the countryside battling monsters sounded too good. The music was great when I started it up and I remember getting my first quest to deliver some arrows.

Then I ran into assassins, met Imoen and witnessed the death of Gorion.

I just loved roaming the Sword Coast, meeting up with its denizens and generally being a do-gooder and smiting evil and helping people find their lost pets. I remember meeting up with Drizz't and having no idea who he was at the time. I was pretty impressed though as he took out several gnolls before I took out one. When I met Cadderly later in the game, I didn't trust him at all. Again I had no idea who he was. He seemed to be a little TOO friendly.

What I liked was the battles. Especially when my party met up with another party of bounty hunters. After my disastrous meeting with another group, I really started to have Khalid or Imoen scouting out the area while my fighters slowly followed after everything was clear. I had Imoen use the boots of speed and backstab mages then run away and hide again while I set up Khalid to deliver a few choice arrows and disrupt spellcasting. Then my fighters would move in buffed with cleric and mage spells and decimate what was left.

Ah, so many fond memories.

I remember fighting gibberling 76,238, decided there were more entertaining ways to spend my time, like having a tooth drilled, and then uninstalling the game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I threw out all my IE games a while back, time moves on and all that. Except for my PS:T cd's which make outstanding coasters.

:sorcerer:

In shock.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I remember fighting gibberling 76,238, decided there were more entertaining ways to spend my time, like having a tooth drilled, and then uninstalling the game.

You just have a short attention span.

Well, in fairness, I went evenually reinstalled the game and enjoyed it more the next time through. I would have finished it probably if the level cap was more closely set to mtach the actual experience gained in-game. Or if the story had been more compelling. But lacking both, eh...

In case it's not, Trials of the Luremaster is a free download.

Yep, I know. I was just thinking it would be nice if Trials was also included on the DVD, for completion's sake. I burned it on CD anyway, but I'd like to have it in one bundle on one DVD, hence the question.

Does anyone know if the Icewind Dale Compilation and the Forgotten Realms Compilation also contain the "Trials of the Luremaster" expansion?

According to the description it doesn't make any mention about it. I have the Icewind Dale: The Ultimate Collection and it did not come with that either.

Here's a link to download it.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Speaking for myself I draw the line at IWD. Without teh storyline, and character interactions it's just a perfectly inferior version of a modern RPG.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Speaking for myself I draw the line at IWD. Without teh storyline, and character interactions it's just a perfectly inferior version of a modern RPG.

Icewind Dale is good as what it was intended to be, a dungeon hack n slash. It's good for a couple of games but it tends to get boring not having any interaction between characters.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

I have no intention of starting a huge discussion about the issue, so let me just remark that personally I prefer the IWD series to the BG series. I greatly prefer the overall feel/atmosphere and the graphical style in IWD and actually think that IWD1 has the better story compared to BG1, but, like I said, that's just my personal preference.

Does anyone know if the Icewind Dale Compilation and the Forgotten Realms Compilation also contain the "Trials of the Luremaster" expansion?

According to the description it doesn't make any mention about it. I have the Icewind Dale: The Ultimate Collection and it did not come with that either.

Here's a link to download it.

Thanks for the info! :)

I have no intention of starting a huge discussion about the issue, so let me just remark that personally I prefer the IWD series to the BG series. I greatly prefer the overall feel/atmosphere and the graphical style in IWD and actually think that IWD1 has the better story compared to BG1, but, like I said, that's just my personal preference.

How very civilised of you, sir! :)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I like both equally. IWD has a great soundtrack that fits the mood of the game perfectly. I can make whatever party combination I want and go out and kill things.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

My own view was that I was just choosing six characters for myself. That's just bananas. Maybe I should play it again.

-Elwood Blues