KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion, Part 22

Canonical things must be made. If in the beginning such a key and important story wasn't chosen as the theme I would agree with you, but this trilogy is what sets up the Republic and forges the future.

In reference to books and the like you would be correct. In the context of making KOTOR 3 don't be daft. One of the major points (and delights) of the KOTOR games is the ability to pick if you want to play as DS or LS, lose that and you might as well just turn KOTOR into a shoot-them-up. Insisting on only the cannon endings of the first two game would also mean that just about everyone who owns/has played them would be more than a little annoyed and refuse to so much as look at the packaging, let alone buy the game.

Another point to make is that this game does NOT set up the Republic-it could have fallen apart and been reformed between TSL and Darth Bane several times over regardless of the endings of the games. You are making the mistake of assuming that the Republic in TPM is the same one as in KOTOR 1&2, it could just have the same name.

Edited by Darth Mortis

The Republic that survived the KOTOR incidents is the same as the one in Bane's time. WHy? They reference acts and such passed after the Revan and Malak Incident. The Sith are known for thousand year spurts of disappearances and the Republic in those periods tends to stay stable. And the game would not just have to have the canon endings stories. Their are ways to incorporate storylines that follow the the false storylines of non-canonical paths. Just like in the former ones, that does not stop that fact that one storyline is officially chosen to be the canon story.

Canonical things must be made. If in the beginning such a key and important story wasn't chosen as the theme I would agree with you, but this trilogy is what sets up the Republic and forges the future.

In reference to books and the like you would be correct. In the context of making KOTOR 3 don't be daft. One of the major points (and delights) of the KOTOR games is the ability to pick if you want to play as DS or LS, lose that and you might as well just turn KOTOR into a shoot-them-up. Insisting on only the cannon endings of the first two game would also mean that just about everyone who owns/has played them would be more than a little annoyed and refuse to so much as look at the packaging, let alone buy the game.

Namely me. Look, the KOTOR series has been a great series that involves choices and decisions, not a pre-set path that you are forced to be on and the endings are all the same regardless. The ability to choose what I want matters to me, and I'd rather not have a sudden change in the way the games work, thank you. Using canon all the way is just a horrible idea. There are ways to make a choice and a determination of whether Revan is m/f or LS/DS. It's that simple in the form of a questionaire done by one of the characters. The endings would then be dteremined by either your choices, or another simple round of questions.

Mortis, I highly doubt that the developers would change the game all of a sudden to make it a set path. They're probably going to just keep it the way that it's always been, an RPG, which is what draws in the crowd for this series. They wouldn't just go ahead and switch to a narrow and fixed story all of a sudden. That would just be awkward and strange for whoever is going to run this thing. So, no worries. The speculation will just stay as that.

When you think of it, they are tying 6 years of game development and the biggest storyline I have seen in a video game all together. They could have been working on the game for 1-2 years right now...look at the bigger picture...we might (that is, if I am correct) see a release Q2,Q3,Q4 of 2008, or a Q1 of 2009. When a developer announces that they are going to be making a game they are usually pretty far in development and the game is usually released 3-8 months after the announcement.

I am not suggesting changing anything, just ensure the story follows a logical path that can be pieced together and the end, while not being the same ending either way still ends this tale and closes it for good, and where the History books can simply say something like the True Sith receded and disappeared. Whether, you are one or destroyed them is to question.

Real romances like they did in BG2 and not what they tried to pass off in K1 and K2.

Yes! Or, at least they could actually finish the romances and such. The furthest you get seems to be (maybe it's different if you play male) but two men quarelling over you and calling you 'she' a lot, only to completely blank you the rest of the time.

What I would like to see in Kotor 3 is a FINISHED game. I mean, I thought both Kotor and Kotor 2 were good works but for me I found the ending of Kotor 2 a bit of an anticlimax after the end of the fight. I was all "oh is that it?" and I don't know how because I would have thought it similar... but I swear it was much shorter than Kotor 1... but maybe that's just because I haven't played that in a while because my second disc's too scratched to install :( And not to be rude but I really don't understand what the whole point of Kotor 2 was in the end? I mean, if I (character, not me :p) am the problem... I'm still a problem by the end of it. And if I'm force bonded to her... why am I not dead? I mean, I can make up answers to these things but I thought they could have been better concluded; again reflecting how I'd like to see the game feeling more complete and whole. (I know I'm ranting... but I just finished the game and felt relatively disappointed - again, it was good, but could have been SO much more) Anyway, not going to point them out in case of spoilers but some of the cut material I read about sounded excellent... so again... I'm ranting, hit me :p But I was reading the script for a part of it that could have happened and I was in tears READING it... I mean, put that in game and you have really powerful material to work with. (I know there are the sound files but then you have to find them one by one and it's not the same).

Anyway, other than that, in Kotor 3 I think it would be good to return as Revan (although not mandatory, just an idea) because I think you can really connect with that character more as it was groundbreaking concept in Kotor, in my opinion. (if I'm making vague sense - 4.09am :p). Personally; could have just been me, but I found it harder (not impossible though) to bond with the Kotor 2 storyline and often had to simply choose options I did not agree with and really had no clue about. What I liked about being Revan was that you could feel immersed in the plot and as if it were revolving around you (just let me explain because I know you always play the protagonist), but in Kotor 2 most of the plot seemed to revolve around the past and Malachor V and without being there or feeling the battle or actively seeing a reason to follow Revan - I just felt so disconnected from it and found the plot more text based as I was only reading about what happened and not really, as I felt, discovering it actively. The past in Kotor seemed glorious and so suspenseful but in Kotor 2 I didn't mind finding out sporadically but it seemed to have little urgency for me... again, might just be me. I guess I like being powerful as Revan (but light :p).

Although, I thought influence was a good idea but disliked the way that it was the be all and end all of things; such as if you didn't have it you couldn't find out certain information about the plot or your past, and whilst I don't think we should find out everything at once it would have been nice to have a way around influence at times - or to find out near the very end for some sense of conclusion because now, at the end of Kotor 2, for example. I still don't really know what I did...and what I do know I could summarise in 3 lines or less. (again, plot with all extra details intact rant). Oh and, on the cover of Kotor 2 is Darth Nihilus (Darth nothing?) - whom doesn't exactly play much of a role and was quite easy to kill - I found the fights more challenging in Kotor, I thought that was disappointing too.

Anyway, in Kotor 3 I would like to see, although would cope without:

- myself as Revan again <3

- less cut material and a more complete feel

- actual romances

- some backup to the influence system such as finding things out at the very end so that if you have no influence you realistically don't find out, but at the very end it can't do much harm surely?

Sorry to have rambled for so long ;):p It's because I'm female and I haven't slept and it's mid morning or night - whichever before 5am :p

Edited by Kahiara

They should use the writers who wrote the romances in BG2 for possible romances in Kotor 3.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

welcome to the boards

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

They should use the writers who wrote the romances in BG2 for possible romances in Kotor 3.

I agree. Being a female player, I found the lack of romance in K2 disappointing when the male character could just go and pimp it out with all the females on the ship! :p And the Carth/Revan romance was kind of...dull. It was just plain boring. I'm hoping that in K3, they'll be able to make both romances a bit more interesting.

And yes, I know that the romance isn't the main focus, but it would be nice if they put more effort into it and made it something that was a bit more enjoyable. Cut scenes could work with that to make the romance a bit nicer, let it flow more.

And I'm sure if K3 can be easily modded, any romance in the game will be complemented with a few gratuitious sex scenes...

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

BG2 romances sadly still are best romances in any crpg (unless you coun't k2's "romances" )

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Kotor 3 Idea's

Let me just say i am the biggest kotor fan both1,2 where really great games now with the new console i have some thoughts and ideas of what would be great and would make kotor 3 a better and overall replayable game.

Below is a wish list of stuff id like to see for kotor 3!

I would like more customization options for blade color maybe a slider that allows you to adjust the color & intensity ect.

also with characters customization like oblivion another thing would be to choose to start sith or jedi or nuteral, oh and for once id like to be able to choke or kill something like a civilian or use mindtricks to make em do other elements in the game and be given more freedom to do so also it would be nice if they respawned or where recreated so i could repeat the process. and no im not the only freakn one to think about how fun it would be lol.

also more fluid combat system customizable force powers would be a bonus example , color of lighting ect.. as well as the ablity to customize robe/armor/clothes material & colors and be able to choose whether the hood is up or down would be nice cause whats the point of having a hood if you cant wear the damn thing.

being able to choose and create apprentice's change look alliment would be great, and noo im not the only one who had 1 guy being pimped out with a bunch of sith women willing to die for me ha ha!

being able to start the hole thing over again with your full out jedi/sith would be cool too and a co-op mode to bring friends and their jedi/sith char along to destroy and or save the galaxy via xbox live and if i wanted i should be able to kill em just cause lmao!

Thanks for reading.

Edited by DarkDeathDealer

welcome to the boards

I think the things you mentioned would be quite cool DarkDeathDealer, but practical wise I don't think it would be very likely for some as to customise so many things would take away from the main plot of the game and might be complicated... but hey who knows, I am terrible with computing so I wouldn't have a clue. But I like the lightsaber idea but then, to think about it, and with civilians too; there are still quite a few options open aleady in terms of customisation. Personally, I'd like a few more player faces, not immensley but a few.

And I don't think I'd like the choice of whether to start as jedi or non, unless it's a choice between playing eg. the exile or revan in the third... but again, complexity because that would to an extent involve different plots, at least at the beginning I think.

And I do agree they were great games or what was planned, in completion would be (I'm sorry, I'm bitter about this- Kotor 2). But personally I just don't understand the 'ending' of Kotor 2. I may just be relatively dense though :x, but I just don't understand what the point of the game was.

Ya i know they where able to do alot of things in oblivion and really whats the point of turning to the darkside if a civilian gets in your dark lords way during a battle and you cant show him your raw power lol one thing i love in oblivion is that you can kill the people in the town or pick fight with the guards thats what i mean freedom wise we should be able to do and they where just ideas i was putting out plus none of the story really went together all that well. in the other kotors so i figure they are going to have a new character in the game and possibly have us seak out the exile and reavan so mine as well choose what we start as hopfully this allows us to choose what reavan and the exile are! .say if we choose to start as a sith and become a sith lord eventually so are reavan and the exile where you eventaully meet up and take on the real sith or if you choose the light gradually work up to jedi master and revan and the exile or both on the side of light lol see thats sorta what i mean as for the custmization being able to put yourself into the game and be the one to deside the fate of the galaxy would be nice and the reason for the high customizablity is so if your playing co-op everybodys character just doesnt look the same and lets face it i always wore the robe wish the hood could be up and maybe have the ablity to in power the robes like the ancient sith did to some of thier weapons or like the robes from the star forge thats why i speculate as for the programing part its not as hard as you think being that i tinker with my games all the time all it is, is thinkn of ideas and making the work in the game i really doubt my ideas will come to formation anyways since i doubt any of the designers even read the forums although it would be nice if they had a look and build upon idea's or add em into the current development of the game

I doubt the developers/writers would look on here, not because there is anything wrong with any of the ideas but because if someone has posted an idea/plotline that is similar to what they end up using they could be accused of stealing the idea. (This, btw, is the same reason why scripts and books are often sent straight back by publishers/studios if they haven't been sent via an agent). It could create a whole host of problems for LA and the developer, so they will be very careful not to look too hard here (or anywere else) where there might be plots posted.

However, I'm fairly sure that LA (and whoever is/does develop the game) is interested in feedback as the things they got right and wrong in TSL. If I had to make an educated guess I would say that they are aware of general ideas-such as being able to pick Revan and the Exile's alignment etc-without knowing specific details. They probably have someone from marketing glancing though the boards from time to time (or will have) who can pass the information on, but who isn't directly involved (Or will not be) in making the game.

We are being watched.....

One idea that I had, is that you can play as either the exile or Revan. I would like to warn you at this point that this is only a half-formed thought. Whichever side or character you play as, the other is your complete opposite. I really haven't thought much about any particular storyline ( I'm diverting all of that to my fanfic) but the way I see it, you meet the other character at the end of the game. If you played light, you redeem them, and the final cutscene shows you and them back to back, surrounded by billions of droids (possibly like star forge droids), and then the two characters leap out at the droids, and the screen goes black. If you choose dark, you kill off the other player, and take the droid army for your own twisted whims. As I said, I haven't developed the idea much, and if anyone wishes to expand on it, feel free.

Pain is all mankind is sure to experience.

Somewhere this is a person, who has suffered a thousand planets' pain. Who has suffered pain that would kill a mortal, and still keeps fighting on. The one who reduces our suffering by taking the brunt of it. He is our true saviour.

He is the son of thunder and consolation.

I R BAK LAWL!

Anyways, to keep on topic so this post of mine gets deleted, I think that KotOR3 should have a time and weather system. :(

Oh and I certainly hope to be more active in the next week. :)

omg omg omg!

Huzzah Sturm! :(

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Ya playing as either reavan or the exile would be ok i guess but id rather have a new custom char alltogether maybe one that recruits both revan and the exile that being said we should be able to deside on boths appearnce so we can best relate it to kotor 1 2 of what are characters looked like ... i really dont worry about the characters so much im more interested in being able to have freedom to interact with npc characters on a better degree then the last 2 games hopfully this time we can use force powers on all characters not just battle specific adn yes including quest specefic characters lol even the masters or allies anyways lol that being said if they are watching lets hope thier taking note's lol

I thought Sturm tooked up a hobby.

I want to see some head tattoos in the third, I liked that in Fable and I think it would add to the immersiveness and customizableilityness if we could. They don't have to be restricted to sith either. I don't know what that thing on Ulic Qel-Dromas forehead was but I assume he had it when he was a Jedi...

Also I would like to see more species. The ancient sith practiced ritual blood drinking, and there are those.... can't remember what they're called but they sucked the force from Jedi.

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.

Guest Accept
I R BAK LAWL!

Anyways, to keep on topic so this post of mine gets deleted, I think that KotOR3 should have a time and weather system. :)

:bat: <3

And yeah, a time system would be cool. Then everything would feel more... alive.

AND... i would like to see more side-quests in the cantinas. :rolleyes:

I R BAK LAWL!

Anyways, to keep on topic so this post of mine gets deleted, I think that KotOR3 should have a time and weather system. :)

:woot: <3

And yeah, a time system would be cool. Then everything would feel more... alive.

AND... i would like to see more side-quests in the cantinas. :(

Although, with that I'd be in permanent darkness :( because I tend to sleep in the day and do anything vaguely productive at night, unless of course it was not based on our time but like, an in-game timing like BG2, but I think that might get complicated maybe.

I thought the lightning in Kotor 2 on Dxun was cool though :), go weather hehe!

Each planet should get its own timezone in that case. While it's daytime on Coruscant, it should be evening on Aquilaris, and midnight on Ryloth.

DAWUSS

I thought Sturm tooked up a hobby.

Ah yes, more drinking is always good :shifty: