Space Strategy Games

You only say that because you love MOO3.  :aiee:

Seriously, I could sue for slander

o:)

MOO2 and MOO3 are galaxies away from each other!!! o:)

:aiee:

So basically, this is a game Baley will enjoy?

HUH!? :huh:

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

I was going to say Star Wars Supremacy, but Homeworld really grabbed me by the nuts, I have to say.

I just LOVE the initial fly past opening sequence as the ship powers up for its maiden test flight. "What a beautiful sight" ... And even though it's old, the music and the lighting... *sigh* you really get this sense of being attached to the old girl. Later developments got to me even worse, but I shan't spoil them. Play it for the story if nothing else.

Relic should be the next strategic partners for Obs. They really do quality games.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Homeworld, Homeword Cataclysm, and Homeworld 2.  :D

Too bad Dawn of war was such a slam dunk, not because I don't like it, I do, but now Relic will be stuck doing warhammer games forever.

Incidentially, can anyone suggest similar full 3d RTS games that you liked,  (PC only) no MMOGs.

Not true...Relic have already released a first class WW2 RTS Company of Heroes along with the DoW expansion Dark Crusade, effectively going into competition with themselves which might not have been the best plan since they're both very good games. The most eyebrow-raising news is that one of their next projects is a MMORPG...although thinking about it now it's probably a Warhammer game so you could be right.

Except that Company of Heroes is basically Dawn of War set in World War 2.

I loved MOO2 except for one thing. (forget name now) that one ship weapon upgrade you could get that destroyed planets because no matter how well you defended a planet, soon as the first player got this tech, game was over basically.

MOO3 sucked but I always wished they would make anouther MOO game where the techs were balanced so defending your planet was doable.

What didn't you like about the controls? I thought they were remarkably straightforward. My only real beef is there weren't enough hotkeys for unit structures.

I got bought Company of Heroes a few weeks ago, and it absolutely rocks. Tonnes of fun.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I loved MOO2 except for one thing. (forget name now) that one ship weapon upgrade you could get that destroyed planets because no matter how well you defended a planet, soon as the first player got this tech, game was over basically.

I never had a problem with that. That sounds more like a play style issue rather than a design issue.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

So basically, this is a game Baley will enjoy?

HUH!? :aiee:

I think what Jags - Merry, um, I've no idea what you celebrate... Merry Whatnot, Jags, bottoms up - is trying to infer is that I'm not the biggest lover of Magyars this side of the, uh, what d'you blokes call the Danube?... Which isn't exactly, perfectly, effusively correct - I'd rather live in Budapest than Bucharest, et cetera. Still, I'd use anything - well, just about - to taunt [nudge nudge] a brother, nationality hardly exempt(ed).

As for the game: the title (and, of course, the notion, the idea, the thought of Romanians traipsing around the universe) appears to be funnier than the plot itself. Such is comedy.

Plus, their English gives me the cla, uh, the jitters. And, unlike those starry-eyed chaps over at Elemental Games, they're advertising their game as "SARCASTIC and FUNNY", which appears to be Nerd for hogwash draped in ugly, stilted, cliched language: hardly even fringing on the lowest of satire. Such is life.

Hey, Jags - does this make you froth, foam, and fret?

Hey, Jags - does this make you froth, foam, and fret?

Bravo Brother Baley - something highly speculative, controversial, capable of actually running on a "700 MHz Pentium or equivalent processor with somewhere around 128 MB of RAM and a simple video card with 16 MB of video memory," and liable to give Jack Thompson an aneurysm?

I'm going to have to look into this. :D

manthing2.jpg

You know, there's a chance in five I've actually played the game - at one time or another - and (yet) I retain no (crystal-)clear memory of it, except, perhaps, a feeling of nausea, deep "eww" and definite "eek". A warning: It's Romanian and, thus, wholly East-European: dodgy, risky, hazardous, bland, dross, insipid, et cetera, et cetera.

Of course, the back-story, and especially "the how" (as in how did the Reds invade America? Did they slope beneath the waters of the Mediterranean and the Atlantic for months on end, sneaking, sliding, slinking? ) might (strongstrongstrong emphasis) make me reach for the BETA. Hopefully though - and I hereby pray to Jorian's God - this can be averted by a simple slap on the cheek... smack on the mouth, jab in the kisser - you get the idea.

You always sound so melodramatic when you express your opinion, Baley. Ever thought of getting a writer position for some game company? How about "RIS2 - Baley on Ice" describes the fall of the mighty Romanian Space empire through the eyes of Emperor Baley, who was shot into space and turned into a huge ice cube ("Baley on Ice") by angry Hungarians?

PS: Oh and Jorian, that was a joke. Admittedly a very tasteless one, but I just feel like that today.

Edited by Morgoth

Can I be gauche and just say it looks idiotic?

-Elwood Blues

I need a new Space Strat game.

Someone sell me on Galactic Civ 2 that was mentioned earlier. :p

It's cheap.

It's a giant sandbox. The campaign is basically a series of semi connected skirmish maps.

It has an AI that can likely beat that pants off you without cheating. >_<

Sold! :bat:

Now to find a copy :bat:

You always sound so melodramatic when you express your opinion, Baley. Ever thought of getting a writer position for some game company? How about "RIS2 - Baley on Ice" describes the fall of the mighty Romanian Space empire through the eyes of Emperor Baley, who was shot into space and turned into a huge ice cube ("Baley on Ice") by angry Hungarians?

PS: Oh and Jorian, that was a joke. Admittedly a very tasteless one, but I just feel like that today.

no problem, but as translation looses a lot of the jokes, so its better always to point it out one

IB1OsQq.png

It's cheap.

It's a giant sandbox. The campaign is basically a series of semi connected skirmish maps.

Shouldn't be too hard. Even the EB near me still has at least one copy on thier 3 foot tall PC games rack. Best Buy seems to usually have at least half a dozen copies on hand.

Stardock also has an expansion (Dark Avatar) coming out in February or so. thumbsup:

It's cheap.

Shouldn't be too hard. Even the EB near me still has at least one copy on thier 3 foot tall PC games rack. Best Buy seems to usually have at least half a dozen copies on hand.

Stardock also has an expansion (Dark Avatar) coming out in February or so. thumbsup:

and there is an other one already out

IB1OsQq.png

What didn't you like about the controls? I thought they were remarkably straightforward. My only real beef is there weren't enough hotkeys for unit structures.

Straightforward wasn't the problem, playing finger-twister in a RTS shooter just doesn't do it for me.

You always sound so melodramatic when you express your opinion, Baley.

I was aiming for farcically detached - blame the Christmas Blues.

That's where I pegged it; maybe I understand the context better?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT