Setzer

Some of us have good tastes in movies and stay away from such films made by the likes of Will Farell and the newer Eddie Murphy films. Eddie Murphy hasn't made a decent comedy since Coming to America.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Some of us have good tastes in movies and stay away from such films made by the likes of Will Farell and the newer Eddie Murphy films. Eddie Murphy hasn't made a decent comedy since Coming to America.

Sand, I usually don't know whether to love you or to cut you up into tiny bits and scatter the pieces to the far corners of the earth just as a precaution against you ever reforming and coming back to torment this world again.

That comment though.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Sand, I usually don't know whether to love you or to cut you up into tiny bits and scatter the pieces to the far corners of the earth just as a precaution against you ever reforming and coming back to torment this world again.

That comment though. <3

A lot of people I know have the same feelings about me. Weird. :lol:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

just a quick aside, 'cause this thing is cooked, none of the reviewers at aicn claimed that 300 is political. a guy named moriarty mentioned politics in his review, but azar-class reading skills led to confusion among the rabble:

by TheRealMoriarty Mar 10th, 2007

12:38:13 AM

Actually, my point was that the film is not a political screed, but that I'm sure people will project in order to pump up their own point of view. But thanks for calling me an a$$hole anyway.

the posts at aicn is almost all non-political, and those that is went off onto a tangent 'bout whether or not israel or palestinians is more worthy o' terrorist label. the other aicn posts is usual mish-mash: claim that reviewer is paid by producers, questions 'bout whether or not is appropriate to take kids, note that this is not historical accurate, replies that people demanding historical accuracy from an obvious fantasy-adventure flick is morons, i like pie, etc.

as noted above, some few people at aicn talks politics, but not many, and those that do talk of 300 politics is split. why? 'cause that moriarty clown actually were correct. 'cause 300 ain't political ('members our lesson 'bout hollywood subtlety and propaganda,) it is easier for viewer to read nonsesne into 300.

and you don't recall the reviews and responses to lotr very well. were just as many reviewers that complained 'bout the obviously muslim/black aspect o' the human portion o' sauron's army, and a complete absence o' minority actors for the Good Guys, as well as other increasingly ridiculous observations.

as to astro's observations 'bout norbit and taladega nights, if you makes a claim that bush is representing norbit and come up with some wacky conspiracy theory 'bout how a black movie released at this moment in history is obviously done to garner a politically charged reaction, we suspect that at least one person would respond and identify your theory as nut jobish... no doubt the movie cars would lend itself equally well to azar political commentary, after all, the movie cars were relaeased just as nascar was debating 'bout whether or not to allow toyota to enter teams into their series, which is pretty much the extent o' our nascar knowledge. even so, nascar is far more Aerican than a bunch o' greeks circa 480bc.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Grom, I think Moriarity stated in the review you quoted how easy it was to interpret the film politically, which is my point all along - it's not the critics who're looking too hard, but rather with this film it *is* easy to make political parallels. Moriarity made this point in his review by suggesting that 300 is like a political rorschach test (which is the best analogy of the film I've heard all week) - a film designed to elicit political interpretations, but which in truth is probably not political.

My beef, all along, is with the suggestion that anyone who sees political parallels in the film must have been looking too hard for them. That's just not true at all. With some films (and I think 300 is one of those), the material simply inspires political interpretation - though what that interpretation is depends on your own political mindset. Course, if you look a little deeper you realize that these parallels don't mean anything and that there's no evidence that the film has a political message, but that doesn't stop your mind from seeing something in those inkblots, nor is it a reason to castigate people for seeing what you didn't see.

meta: I think that's the genius of Moriarity's analogy. Your knowledge of the era made it easy to see the film in that light, since you're looking at it in the context of the historical event. Me - I went into the theatre without researching the history (since, like many people, I didn't go to the film expecting anything but slow-mo fights) and therefore was affected more by the rhetoric, the dialogue, and the basic setup. Another person, with less interest in politics, might simply see a justification for stylized video-game violence. There's sufficient evidence for all three viewpoints, and a few more, in the film (by sufficient, I mean that you don't have to grasp at straws to prove your point). A film can have multiple valid interpretations, none of which might match the actual intent; indeed, what we choose to emphasize might reveal just as much about us as it does the film.

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

Grom, I think Moriarity stated in the review you quoted how easy it was to interpret the film politically, which is my point all along - it's not the critics who're looking too hard, but rather with this film it *is* easy to make political parallels. Moriarity made this point in his review by suggesting that 300 is like a political rorschach test (which is the best analogy of the film I've heard all week) - a film designed to elicit political interpretations, but which in truth is probably not political.

by TheRealMoriarty Mar 10th, 2007

12:38:13 AM

Actually, my point was that the film is not a political screed, but that I'm sure people will project in order to pump up their own point of view. But thanks for calling me an a$$hole anyway.

moriarty explained what he meant... you simply continue to ignore.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

.. that and every black man that cracks jokes about how the white man brought them out of africa to the us as slaves is just old and a load half-truthes.

i thought that it was the dutch who first started that, and not every white guy is decended from the dutch.

im descended from german and irish blood not netherlands

have a nice day.

and as for th e political deal between whomever and gwbush, well oppinions are only that and should be left unsaid, and while it may not be far from the truth its still polotics to me and its all lies.

and i think the last few posts in this thread ought to be deleted including mine

and i plan on seeing 300, but igo to movies to have fun not to make a polotical debate about world cultures and how they differ and how many ways each culture of the world has its flaws in how they perciev their own culture and cultures world wide( note : this does not include religious issues thats another ball game thats best left elsewhere).

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

What? Am I the only one that liked Pluto Nash?

If you're serious, I liked it too, but we're the only ones.

Its one of those movies that I'm ashamed of liking. Like Mean Girls.

Also:

redsauce.gif

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"moriarty explained what he meant... you simply continue to ignore."

How does that contradict what I said?

He doesn't personally think the film is political, but thinks that other people can and will interpret it as such... Sounds like someone aware of the film's ease of political interpretation, to me. It's classic rhetoric: anticipating the obvious response and offering an alternative view - he pretty much acknowledges, in the beginning of his review, that many other critics have gone for the political angles and that it's because the film's built like a rorschach test.

Don't ignore the entire review for one quote at the bottom where the man's trying to defend himself from a clueless flamer.

There are doors

What? Am I the only one that liked Pluto Nash?

If you're serious, I liked it too, but we're the only ones.

Its one of those movies that I'm ashamed of liking. Like Mean Girls.

Also:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/turkeyslapper/redsauce.gif[/img

Hehe, no, Im serious. Ive watched it several times.

I also liked Mean Girls.

"moriarty explained what he meant... you simply continue to ignore."

How does that contradict what I said?

He doesn't personally think the film is political, but thinks that other people can and will interpret it as such... Sounds like someone aware of the film's ease of political interpretation, to me. It's classic rhetoric: anticipating the obvious response and offering an alternative view - he pretty much acknowledges, in the beginning of his review, that many other critics have gone for the political angles and that it's because the film's built like a rorschach test.

Don't ignore the entire review for one quote at the bottom where the man's trying to defend himself from a clueless flamer.

is like arguing wit the tide...

if all you is arguing is that 300 is open to numerous interps, then fine... scroll back up and sees where Gromnir has said over and over that we do not disagree.

so much for obvious politically charged material, and conspiracies 'bout timing of release and suggestions that it were pretty clear that new material were added to make more political. whatever. even moriarty didn't see no political agenda, and fact that there is a split 'mongst the people that does see political motives should be telling you something as well, 'cause as been said already, hollywood ain't aiming for subtle. and trying to come up with a possible explanation to make moriarty's comments work for you, rather than simply dismissing or disagreeing, is symptomatic o' the problem we got with your arguings.

bah.

this were a waste o' time a couple pages ago and as you seems to be fighting this battle alone, we got no great urge to waste time beating the breath out o' one lone voice in the dark.

HA! Good Fun!

Fair enough. I already noted a few pages back why I thought your arguments didn't seem relevant to what I was arguing anymore, and it's good that you're seeing the same vice versa. I still disagree that the film was not politically charged, but I'm starting to think your definition of "politically charged" is not the same as mine...

At any case, since my thoughts on the matter largely mirror Moriarity's, and you agree with him, there's nothing left to discuss on this issue.

So... Back to 300 itself... Anyone want to offer up a topic or have we just totally killed the discussion?

There are doors

If Klaus Kinski was alive, he would have been a much better Leonidas.

"I AM THE WRATH OF GOD!!!"

cinema.GIF

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

New topic: Greeks with irish accent.

Discuss.

Oh and I think I want a beard like that! :blink:

I thought Gerard Butler was scottish...

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

What did Gladiator do for Russel Crowe, exactly?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Guest The Architect
What did Gladiator do for Russel Crowe, exactly?

It won him an academy award.

Edited by The Architect

So Gerald Butler will get an Oscar for 300? Fat chance.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Guest The Architect
So Gerald Butler will get an Oscar for 300? Fat chance.

I didn't say that he would, did I?

Edited by The Architect