Army frowns on D&D

Hurlshort

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3052074,00.html

I actually agree with this line:

"We have discovered that some of them are simply detached from reality," a security source told Ynet. "

Heck, if you aren't smart enough to keep your D&D hobby quiet, you probably shouldn't be a high ranking officer.

The article could be focused on any escapist hobby, which is kind of scary.

As a military officer and a former avid PnP RPG'er (I always thought LARP was probably a little over the top, though) if anything, the decision making and creative thinking associated with role playing develops the kind of people you would want in the positions that require security clearances. Now, maybe not elite troops - especially if they have "detachment from reality" issues - but there are certainly other places in the military where they could be useful.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3052074,00.html

I actually agree with this line:

"We have discovered that some of them are simply detached from reality," a security source told Ynet. "

Heck, if you aren't smart enough to keep your D&D hobby quiet, you probably shouldn't be a high ranking officer.

thats stupid <_<

one of my friends is a general and noone cares about what his hobby is, just like it should be anywhere

IB1OsQq.png

I think firstly that if they exclude rpg'ers then they will have an even bigger shortage of staff. Secondly that many rpg'ers make up precisely the kind of imaginative, but retentive chaps we need in the Forces. I wouldn't want everyone to be one, but certainly some.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Presumably... *thinks* this means the PLO encourage D&D?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yeees... because blindly stumbling automata do so well at fighting?

-Elwood Blues

The best fighting soldier is one who follows orders without question.

You must be used to getting better orders than I am.

-Elwood Blues

You must be used to getting better orders than I am.

Being through boot camp and some military training they pretty much try to erase individuality and basically do a form of brainwashing that you would comply to every order given. Yet have laws that make the soldier accountable for his actions and not the commander who dictates his actions.

One of the reasons why I hate the military. Its the low rankers that get all the blame while the officers get off of being responsible. Abu Ghrab (msp) is proof of that. Have there been any high rankers held responsible? How about Rumsfield or Bush who put those soldiers in that situation in the first place?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Well, IMO that's one the things that's wrong with your Army at the minute. The British Army does drum blind obedience into you at basic training. But they immediately demand you start thinking for yourself on service or you are labelled a twit.

-Elwood Blues

No disagreement there. Our military is ****ed in the head.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I should say you will get some NCOs and officers demanding blind obedience. They just won't get it. And they will be labelled twits. You have to be willing to play fast, and that sometimes means acting without a long explanation, but basically it's not automation.

The reason is not cause we're somehow superior. It's just that we can't afford the luxury of all that blind obedience. It's more flattering for the highups but it makes you less effective. And our forces are too small.

-Elwood Blues

Well first of all you have to question the source.

1: Who is there "Security source" and why is he talking to ynet of all places??

2: Why do they keep on repeating the same 2 lines throughout the entire article?

"These people have a tendency to be influenced by external factors which could cloud their judgment, a military official says. "They may be detached from reality or have a weak personality - elements which lower a person's security clearance, allowing them to serve in the army, but not in sensitive positions."

3: It's Israel Defense Force, whom has been known to have many strange rules that

make very little sense, but then is it any worse than "Don't ask, Don't tell?"

The US also has some interesting rules about whom they give out various security clearances to, although they make a little more sense. For example:

If you talk in your sleep, even once... you will be stripped of your security clearance.

Or if you manage to accumulate a certain amount of debt you come under review and observation as you are considered to be susceptible to bribes.

4: This ruling is not unprecedented, and in some ways its almost progressive. Some countries in Europe will not accept you into the Military if you play over X amount of hours of Video Games, and bar you from the Military entirely for Role-Playing.

Well first of all you have to question the source.

1: Who is there "Security source" and why is he talking to ynet of all places??

2: Why do they keep on repeating the same 2 lines throughout the entire article?

"These people have a tendency to be influenced by external factors which could cloud their judgment, a military official says. "They may be detached from reality or have a weak personality - elements which lower a person's security clearance, allowing them to serve in the army, but not in sensitive positions."

3: It's Israel Defense Force, whom has been known to have many strange rules that

make very little sense, but then is it any worse than "Don't ask, Don't tell?"

The US also has some interesting rules about whom they give out various security clearances to, although they make a little more sense. For example:

If you talk in your sleep, even once... you will be stripped of your security clearance.

Or if you manage to accumulate a certain amount of debt you come under review and observation as you are considered to be susceptible to bribes.

4: This ruling is not unprecedented, and in some ways its almost progressive. Some countries in Europe will not accept you into the Military if you play over X amount of hours of Video Games, and bar you from the Military entirely for Role-Playing.

Wow. I guess that rules me out for the draft then... :blink:

I think this is great. The less people in the army, the better.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The best fighting soldier is one who follows orders without question.

Way too much Hollywood, far too little reality, which I guess is appropriate for the topic at hand.

Neither the US or the UK has followed that mentality since the beginning of the First World War.