Sammael's NWN2 Experience

Sammael

System Specs:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6400 (not overclocked as of yet)

MB: Asus P5B Deluxe Motherboard

RAM: 2x 1Gb @ 667 MHz

GPU: Gigabyte GF7900 GS w/256 MB

HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 320 Gb 7200.10 w/NCQ

DVD: Pioneer 111 something

Audio: Crappy integrated SoundMax card, until Audigy 2 arrives

Got NWN2 last evening. However, I did not have much time to play, mostly because of two things:

1) I wanted to patch it before playing, so I went to the auto-updater. However, it was very, very slow, and it croaked after downloading 85% of the patch (which took more than 2 hours; I am on a 256 kbit wireless connection, so it should have been done within an hour). I lost patience after that and decided to proceed unpatched.

2) So I started the game, and immediately realized that sound didn't work. I spent the next two hours fiddling with the stupid integrated audio card (I'm still waiting on that Audigy 2 I ordered), and finally found some drivers for it that worked. None of the other games I installed prior to NWN2 had any issues with the integrated card, so the issue must be with the game.

After this, I played for a grand total of 15 minutes, enough to make my character (a LE Tiefling Warlock), exit the house and run around for a while.

Here are my first impressions:

Character creation:

The character model is not very customizable, though this doesn't bother me much. It would be nice to see more options (particularly for overall body shape, height, weight, etc/).

I am glad to see the abominable BioSkills gone for the most part.

Regional feats are not 3.5. However, the background bonus/penalty makes up for this issue nicely. I made a Ladies' Man tiefling who worships Shar. It was nice seeing that at least some people recognized me as a tiefling in the tutorial, and I hope this will continue throughout the game. I also hope deity choice was meaningful.

There is a lot of room for improvement in the feat department as well.

Gameplay:

One thing I noticed that bothers me is that I cannot equip that duskwood bow. I am not sure if this is (a) because it's a quest item, or (b) because I am not proficient with bows. If it's (b), then this is very wrong, as tieflings and aasimar are supposed to be proficient with all martial weapons (because they are outsiders; see clarification in WotC Main D&D 3.5 FAQ). Hopefully, this can be patched. Furthermore, I would prefer the option to equip weapons and armor I was not proficient with and suffer the penalties, instead of not being able to equip them at all.

Other than that, I haven't had much chance to do anything. I like the way dialogs are handled (zoom in on your interlocutor), although it may become a bit cumbersome after a while. Camera works like a charm for now and I like it much better than in NWN1.

Graphics:

Very nice by my standards, and GREATLY improved over NWN1 (as they should be). I have the game set to 1280x1024, and most of the details turned to high. I am only getting 15-20 FPS outside, but this doesn't bother me much (and isn't even very noticeable).

Models could be a bit more detailed.

I, for one, am glad the tilesets are gone.

Audio:

Voice acting is meh in the tutorial, music is OK, but nowhere near music jewels like Torment, IWD1, and IWD2. I'll have to play a bit more before I get a full impression.

Overall:

Not enough data for a conclusion. Will play some more tonight (I hope).

Edited by Sammael

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

What I meant to say is that regional feats are not per 3.5 rules. They were greatly increased in power in Player's Guide to Faer

Edited by Sammael

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Choice of diety and also race has no impact on the game beyond the tutorial.

I am a wood elf and have not had a single reference to me being an elf outside the first village, and even my wood elf NPC has not ever said anything about me being an elf, much less a wood elf.

From what I have heard most of the music has been taken from NWN1 and its expansion packs.

I am a wood elf and have not had a single reference to me being an elf outside the first village, and even my wood elf NPC has not ever said anything about me being an elf, much less a wood elf.

That's disappointing, to say the least.

In terms of gameplay NWN2 is not a BG, Fallout, PST or IWD.

Its a true sequel to the original Neverwinter Nights and it follows in the footsteps of the two expansion sets. I wouldnt play through the game expecting it to be like one of the other RPGs.

Well, SoU and HotU had a lot more roleplaying opportunities than the original OC, and I had hoped that NWN2 would have expanded upon those opportunities.

But then again, the REAL reason why I wanted NWN2 was Sawyer's TBH module. Hopefully, it'll be available before NWN3 comes out. :D

That's disappointing, to say the least.

Race and deity do affect gameplay, albeit small.

For example the thugs bothering Khelgar made reference to my gnome heritage.

I wish they had more background feats. None of the current feats fit my character so I always pick No Background, which seems lame. In keeping with

Elanee's

descriptions of my character while growing up, which I feel represents me well, I would like to see a Reserved Guardian type of background feat. (Name stolen from soundset of same name, for lack of a better idea at the moment.)

My characters respect the land, tend to be introspective and mild tempered, love to learn new things, stand up for what's right, don't tolerate evil, protect their friends and look out for their interests. Haven't taken the time to figure out the bonuses/penalties yet.

Usually I take one of those unique level one only feats to make up for it, like Luck of Heroes or Blooded.

Diety has never had an impact on anything in the game. I even tried Ao once to see if anyone would notice. Nope. Nada. Nil. My race has been mentioned a few times, but not too much; after all, most creatures are used to seeing one humanoid race or another wandering around.

"Religion has an effect on the game, especially if you're a cleric."

Very, very, very small effect. Pretty much neglible.

Well, with the number of options you're given, I can understand why they didn't make much custom content for the dieties. Why bother with god-specific dialogue choices if only 2% of gamers are going to see them? They chose following FR canon (lotsa gods) over creating interesting roleplaying opportunities. My understanding from the character creation process was that the only effect from your diety choice would be if you took a cleric/pally/druid/ranger level later in the game.

My paladin took Tyr as a god. At first, I thought religious choice had a impressive impact at the game.. then I realized every reference to tyr was hard-coded. I even had a priest of Tyr say "We may not worship the same god but I'm going to help you..."

I believe PC aasimers and tieflings have the native outsider type, which isn't exactly the same as the outsider type.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I wish they had more background feats. None of the current feats fit my character so I always pick No Background, which seems lame. In keeping with

Elanee's

descriptions of my character while growing up, which I feel represents me well, I would like to see a Reserved Guardian type of background feat. (Name stolen from soundset of same name, for lack of a better idea at the moment.)

'noble' and 'smith' and 'librarian' would I like ^_^

My paladin took Tyr as a god. At first, I thought religious choice had a impressive impact at the game.. then I realized every reference to tyr was hard-coded. I even had a priest of Tyr say "We may not worship the same god but I'm going to help you..."

I believe PC aasimers and tieflings have the native outsider type, which isn't exactly the same as the outsider type.

Even more 'cut out' things, hmm? :(

I do hope with time thay are pathing the dialogue options too. (especially those with alignment impact)

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png