Volourn's Early Final Fantasy 12 Impressions

Volourn

Introduction: At EB, and bored waiting for NWN2 to be released here; I scooped up FF12 as well as the strat guides for FF12 and NWN2. As mentioned in the other thread, I was amazed of the thickness of the strat guide though I ahven't read it since I spent my reading time reading about character creation in NWN2.

This is an early impresssion so don't expect much. I've played nearly 2 hours - mostly consisting of cutscenes and/or handholding explanations in how to play the game. There might be some spoilers here; but I doubt any earthshattering ones.

Thou hast been warned though! Don't cry to me, Argentina!

Packaging: It's awesome. I got the Collectors' Edition and it looks fancy in all its glory. The manual is solid. Not too big or small and has all the important stuff. Strat guide is an extra bonus (must be paid for, lol).

Background: I have played the Final Fantasy series since its inception. My favorite of all time is FF8 with FF6, and FF2 my all time faves. FF1, FF7, and FF10 are really good too. I do not care too much about FF9, and FFX-2 though they're not comepletely horrible. FF4, and FF5 as well as FFT are all overrated and suck big time. FF has basically been pushed aside for me for the BIO/Obsidian style RPG and I haven't even finished FFX-2 as of yet (if I ever will).

THE GAME

Starting Up The Game/Quality Control: As a PS2 game, there is no problem here. Absolutely no bugs what so ever. Load times can be annoyingly frequent but relatively quick. The intro starts off with old skool FF music which is beautiful.

Prologue: Snazzy. The story gets a lengthy introduction. It opens up to a wedding between a princess and some sort of prince. Another empire attacks the kingdom. The prince dies defending his father's kingdom. They all mourn.

The 'good' side realizes the war is lost even before its begun pretty much, and the king goes off to sign off on His Captain realizes its a trap and goes to help. The rest of the prologue occurs with the player controlling a wannabe footsoldier under the command of the captatin. The prologue's ending is... shall we say.. interesting..

The Story Starts: The game begins with you in control of a rogue (lol) who looks like a pansy girly boy who is an orphan. His name is Vaan, and he is partners in crime with a girl (who seems enchanted by girlie boy even though girlie boy barely feigns interest in her) and some younger rapscallion. Vaan seems to be too interested in getting revenge against the Evil Empire tm and becoming a Sky Pirate with his own airship. The early game is just you playing around with Vaan around the starting city.

Graphics: The game looks awe inspiring. Outside of Vaan (and the dead prince) who both look girlie (in fact, I'd swear they are the same character model if I had them side by side); the characters look great. The airships, and monsters look awesome. The cutscenes are beyond wow, and even normal gameplay mode has stellar graphics.

Music/Sound/Voices: Solid. Nothing overly impressive; but nothing earthshattering bad either.

Gameplay: Pretty much plays like any FF game when it comes to moving, talking, and interaction. Pretty much has been no choices yet dialogue wise just where to go when you take control of Vaan though the game pushes you in the story's main direction. Saving seems to only be possible at svae crystals but I don't think I've technically reached the world map part yet.

Charcter Customization: Pretty good it seems., I have yet to have a party but the License Method (akin to FF10's grid system) seems to open up lots of possibilities to mold the character(s) as you see fit. Vaan starts of basic equipment and the ability to 'steal'. But, if you wanted to, you could make him a tank or a spellcaster. The book talks about other interesting features like gambits, and espers (ala summons), and quickenings as well which should further help customize characters espicially since only one character can have access to any one of these. So, for example, if one character has access to Ifrit (assuming Mr. Fire God is in again) nobody else can. Quickenings are basically special attacks. Techniques are alternatives as well and serve those who want to avoid magic well.

Think of License Points as a secondary levelling system. It should be pointed out that not only do you have to gather LP to learn a new skill; in some instances you must buy/find something to access it (ie. have a weapon in your inventory; go to magic shop for spells, same for techniques).

Combat: First off, status effects and equipment are basically par for the course for FF games. The biggest change is the actual combat system mode. You actually see enemies on screen so you can avoid them if you wish. Not always possible or desired; but the option is there. Also, areas willl have uber enemies you might wish to gain power before fighting. For instance, I was in the desert looking to complete a Hunt (see below) and I saw what looked to be a super dinosaur monster but I chose to avoid it and went on with my mission. If enemies see you first, hwoever, they will hunt you down. So, remember to use that mini map to scan for red dots. Also, both the player and enemy can choose to run even though it's not always successful. I LOVE this change!

Another change is the atcual combat. It seems a mix of FFish style with the RT w/pause combat. Combat is RT but you can pause it by sleecting an option to do another ability. The default is sword strikes 9which can be changed if you say wish) so the good/bad news is that easy battles can be fought without paying attention - not interactive but me it gets the job done. Challenging battles (not really much of those yet) can be more hands on if you wish. The combat is 'odd' at first; but it grew on me.

Other Stuff: You can run or walk. I presume this will make a difference in various parts of the game (cliffs you don't want to fall off of, etc.). There are also teleportation crystals to go along with the usual chocobo/airship mods of travel. Chocobos, btw, look much more intimidating than the usual cutesy look they go by.

You have, as I mentioned above, Hunts. These are basically 'seek and destroy x monster' quests you get from reading bulletins. A nice little side jig. Also, the menus are very well done - keeps up to date quests (including the Hunt), maps, and a bestiary. It seems you get rewarded for killing a number of the same beasties espicially if you do it in a row so that can make the combat more rewarding in the long run too.

Overall Thoughts: I love this game thus far. NWN2 is gonna need to accomplish a lot to beat this for GOTY for me. That's pretty aamzing consideirng that FF12 wasn't even on my radar 'til this week and I've been anxiously awaiting NWN2 for 2+ years now. Yes, FF12 is that good - thus far. Best FF since FF8, imo. Only two hours in though. LOL My non apologizes for those who loathed FF8.

Future Expectations: As long as the main story stays intriguing, and the combat along with character customizations pans out as it seems to; this should be a terrifically fun game for me. I only hope it becomes more non linear as the games along and you actually get to choose what your character says from time to time like past FF games.

In essence, great stuff. :(

:)

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Thanks for the review. It was actually quite good and thorough. Now go and play more until you reach the world map, lazy bum! I want to know if it's "open ended" enough for me to not hate it. I absolutely hated FFX (the only other Final Fantasy I own except some old one on Gameboy..) because of the extreme linearity and corridor-like maps. Please tell me Final Fantasy 12 is better in this regard!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Heh, I will. And, OW! Lots of typos in there! Urgh!

Update: Fixed a lot of my typoes (I'm sure not all).

I should point out that though there's a greta lack of dialogue choices (as per usual in FF); once you have control of Vaan, you have plenty of oppurtunity to just roam around the city and outskirts if you so wish.

Like I said, the game hints/pushes/urges you in a certain story direction; but I didn't feel I 'had to' do it right away in most cases.

Edited by Volourn

as well as FFT are all overrated and suck big time.

You are the one sucks big time, pal. You are just too blind to appreciate the beauty of FFT...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Linearity will not make or break a Final Fantasy game IMO. But most importantly, does FFXII have the Final Fantasy-feel to it? I'm a bit worried since it's Matsuno who is the director and not Kitase, who has been involved in FFVII, FFVIII, FFXI and FFX.

Also the music has always played a significant role in the FF-series, since Uematsu isn't in this one, i'm also worried about FFXII having an avarage soundtrack.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I echo Volo's early impressions. This game definitely feels like a Final Fantasy game, something I didn't get with X and X-2. Like Volo, I'm only a couple hours in but the graphics and music are nothing short of amazing and I love the new combat system. I haven't had this much fun in a FF game since IX. It's too early to say if this will top VI as my all time favorite FF game but it's off too a very good start.

I picked up NWN2 today but sadly it's going to be shelved until I'm done with this game.

Edited by Setzer

Last night I picked it up at Wall Mart for 10$ less than EBGames...

I started the game.

When I finally gained control of Vaan's brother for the tutorial I began by picking my jaw off the floor...

And then, for the second time in my life, I fell in true love. :D

I completed the first Hunt(Rogue Tomato) and went to bed. Guess what I dreamed about...

This morning I woke up at five(I work at 7:30am) and played it for 30 minutes. Only went back to the desert to explore a bit and kill some wolves to gain some License points.

I really love it. The LP system is just like FFTactics(or very similar). I love how the visuals remind me of previous games, like the message windows when saving are in the same colors as FF7 and how the name of a new area is displayed like FFT.

The voice work so far is just absolutely stellar. They got Vaan right on the money and he is lightyears less annoying than Tidus was.

When the disk spins up and the game is loaded, the first thing I heard was the prologue music from FF7 and I had chills all over...

This is going to be one great vacation week!

(w00t)

Okay, question:  I hated FFX with a passion; is this game similar enough to X that I will hate it too, or is it closer in spirit to VII, VIII, IX, and FFT/Vagrant Story?

I'm not far in(can't wait to get home!!!) but it feels like FFT turned into Final Fantasy.

FFX irked me right away but with FFXII it's the COMPLETE opposite. I was instantly hooked and addicted.

Combat, story (what I sww of it), characters, graphics, music, sound, atmopshere, everything. It's been years since I tried it. I ahven't looked back sense. Top 3 worse FFs OF ALL TIME.

FF12 = Top 3 FF OF ALL TIME (so far).

Combat, story (what I sww of it), characters, graphics, music, sound, atmopshere, everything. It's been years since I tried it. I ahven't looked back sense. Top 3 worse FFs OF ALL TIME.

FF12 = Top 3 FF OF ALL TIME (so far).

It's a Turn-based strategy game!

Combat: Highly complex. Mix and match abilities gained from different jobs using skill points earned in battle. The LP system of XII has obviously been inspired by this. You could make a summoner your tank in that game.

Story: Political intrigue with betrayals and many twists and turns. the only flaw with the story, I found, was the ending. Too abrupt and you don't know what happens to your characters when the end boss is(too easily) dead.

Characters: Although I never found Ramza all that great, most other characters are ok. Not great but Ok. With the exception of Cid. he's great. :D

Graphics: You must be joking. For the PS1, they were very good. The only gripe I have with FFT's GFX are the summons. They should've been more extravagant.

Music: Although not by Nobuo Uematsu, the score was still way above average. It still is, even by today's "standards". The composer for FFT is the same as FFXII so bite your words.

Sound: Meh. They did their purpose but I somewhat agree with you.

Atmosphere: It always felt like FF to me with just enough difference to make it interesting.

Everything: Pfff. Says you.

Besides your making too much of this. I wasn't making a comparison. I feel a vibe from FFT in FFXII. That's all.

FFT is one of the great FF games ever! Period.

If turn-based strategy games don't appeal to you then you won't have fun with it but as a fan of the genre, I think it's one of the best TB-strategy games ever made.

NOOOOOO!!! Don't comapre positively to that crap FFT game. Pee-eew!!! :lol:

What is crap about it exactly?

FFT, while fun, is one of the worst console strat games I've ever played.

Poorly balanced, and had a really really sucktastic ending.

Normally a poor ending doesn't kill the fun I had getting there, but FFT is that rare game that made me hate myself for wasting my time playing it.