Another NWN2 Movie

Hassat Hunter

No, it (BG) didn't have faux combat animations, unless you mean regular attack animations when you weren't actually attacking. Personally, I always thought that was pretty lame because without surgically wiring the combat log into my brain, it wasn't clear when my character was actually making attacks and when the character was just killing time. NWN2 characters do not block, but they do dodge/duck and play weapon fidgets. I did write up a bug a while ago about how combat fidgets are not pronounced enough and not playing often enough for all weapon sets. Some weapon sets have good fidgets, but others are too subtle.

Personally, I always thought that was pretty lame because without surgically wiring the combat log into my brain, it wasn't clear when my character was actually making attacks and when the character was just killing time..

Or turning on the combat stats/feedback.

So tell us...how old is this video?

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Did anyone else notice that the voice-over from the Fort Locke soldier:

"... Now, we'll be taking your tail as a prize." versus "... Now, you've gone and changed our minds." (11:19 into the video).

:p"

Btw, I prefer to have accurate animations for each attack, with pauses: this is not a real-time combat simulation FPS, it is a turn-based game. (I'll have it on overhead view, anyway.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Did anyone else notice that the voice-over from the Fort Locke soldier:

"... Now, we'll be taking your tail as a prize." versus "... Now, you've gone and changed our minds."

:p"

Yeah, KOTOR2 had a decent number of corrections like that. I guess they just changed the writing after it had already been recorded.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Do you find it easy to track events in the feedback window when there are ten 8th-12th level combatants going at it? I don't.

I also have no idea how old this video is because I have no idea what build it is. I know that a while ago Atari sent out a bunch of Beta candidate copies for European reviews, but it will be another half hour before the video is done downloading.

Do you find it easy to track events in the feedback window when there are ten 8th-12th level combatants going at it? I don't.

The last thing I would worry about in a situation like that is which animation represented which attack. Too much going on on the screen, let alone the feedback window. I'm not sure what your point is.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

There were a lot of text/VO mismatches in older builds.  We've been gradually catching and fixing them all.  Also, a lot of the VO was re-recorded for mis-matches and general quality control.

Cool. Good to know. It wasn't to the point of being remotely annoying, but it did stand out in KOTOR2.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The combat animations don't bother me. In my experience once you start playing a game, the graphics and animations begin to normalize. You become used to them and begin to expect them and after a while they look fine.

It's always a problem looking at screenies and short gameplay movies without the context of your own interaction with the game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

There were a lot of text/VO mismatches in older builds.  We've been gradually catching and fixing them all.  Also, a lot of the VO was re-recorded for mis-matches and general quality control.

So the entire dialogue tree of the tiefling has been re-recorded ..? :-"

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Cool.

Not that the mismatches bothered me to much in KotOR 2. I often played with the subtitles off.

The last thing I would worry about in a situation like that is which animation represented which attack. Too much going on on the screen, let alone the feedback window. I'm not sure what your point is.

That's five PCs/CNPCs and five opponents in a mid-level game, which isn't that rare.

You can efficiently move and direct the actions of your characters when you know where they are on their timers. The best time to move or re-direct them is usually immediately after they've taken an attack because they can launch directly into something else. Also, with dummy attacks, it isn't clear if your character is attacking and missing or just making a dummy attack (without watching the log like a hawk). If animations are divided into ones that are distinctly "real" attacks with weapon trails/hit sparks and combat fidgets that break up the dead space, it's easier to know what's going on by looking at the events rather than the combat log.

So the entire dialogue tree of the tiefling has been re-recorded ..? :-"

Actually, yes. A different actress was cast and all of her lines were re-recorded.

Does no think of the poor actress' feelings? :'(

You are all bastards.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm watching the video now and I'd say it's probably one of our Beta candidates. I'm basing that on the lack of the arrow quiver on the back of the arcane archer in character creation. Also, there's no VO on Daeghun and there's still a long pause after each node of dialogue in the cinematics.

Yep, no weapon trails/hit sparks, hit sounds, or combat fidgets in that video. I'm not saying that you're going to be bowled over with amazement when those things are there, but they are in the build now.

I'm watching the video now and I'd say it's probably one of our Beta candidates.  I'm basing that on the lack of the arrow quiver on the back of the arcane archer in character creation.  Also, there's no VO on Daeghun and there's still a long pause after each node of dialogue in the cinematics.

Yep, no weapon trails/hit sparks, hit sounds, or combat fidgets in that video.  I'm not saying that you're going to bowled over with amazement when those things are there, but they are in the build now.

*resumes being extremely excited*

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm watching the video now and I'd say it's probably one of our Beta candidates.  I'm basing that on the lack of the arrow quiver on the back of the arcane archer in character creation.  Also, there's no VO on Daeghun and there's still a long pause after each node of dialogue in the cinematics.

Yep, no weapon trails/hit sparks, hit sounds, or combat fidgets in that video.  I'm not saying that you're going to be bowled over with amazement when those things are there, but they are in the build now.

Figured as much. Trust in the Sawyer. The Sawyer is good. Except when it comes to hand grenades...

Edited by Judge Hades