Deus Ex

Dark_Raven

Deus Ex was a great game, just wish the AI was better. It was always funny killing a person or two in the UNATCO HQ, having the whole base come after me, then hide in a vent shaft for 30 seconds or so and have everyone go back to their usual routine.

Come out... stand over the corpse and have guards walk up and say 'hi', then walk off. :)

Deus Ex was a great game, just wish the AI was better. It was always funny killing a person or two in the UNATCO HQ, having the whole base come after me, then hide in a vent shaft for 30 seconds or so and have everyone go back to their usual routine.

Come out... stand over the corpse and have guards walk up and say 'hi', then walk off.  :)

I agree. The AI in DX was the biggest negative.

Detection Response and Investigation AI has always been a problem in almost every game I can remember playing. Whether its Deus Ex. Thief, NOLF, SS2, BL just to name a few. In most cases it is out and out horrible and terribly unrealistic. Usually the AI detects you, searches for X number of seconds, then forgets it ever saw you. Bleah. Way to simplistic to be interesting.

The question is how does a developer make that kind of AI "realistic" yet still fun. If it was truly realistic the AI would call a huge number of reinforcements in, includings dogs, helicopters, satellites, or whatever was appropriate given the mission environment and setting, search the place from top to bottom, find you, then kill you. Probably not the most conducive AI to a fun playing experience.

I would assume there is something fun in between the 2 extremes, though I have not seen it yet.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Crash Girl:

" Detection Response and Investigation AI has always been a problem in almost every game I can remember playing."

I recall Splinter Cell having a robust DIR-AI.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Crash Girl:

" Detection Response and Investigation AI has always been a problem in almost every game I can remember playing."

I recall Splinter Cell having a robust DIR-AI.

I only have one Splinter Cell game and its still sitting on the to be played shelf. ;)

You just pushed it a little bit more to the front of the line. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The Splinter Cell games aren't really that much better. They made improvements along the way with the second and third ones, such as if the guards detect you they will put on body armor and whatnot. I think some areas result in additional guard patrols and things like that.

About the only significant difference between the AI detection in Splinter Cell and Deus Ex is the "countdown limit", by that I mean that when Sam Fisher trips an alarm, there is a record of it, and too many alarms will result in mission failure. This is absent from Deus Ex.

Also, if I may just make a point in defence of Deus Ex, the AI detection and subsequent reset is perfectly plausible when not in a confined building, say, when Denton is trying to get to the Church. The alternative, as Crashgirl pointed out, would be to have an overwelming force brought to bear on little Denton as soon as he was detected. Perhaps the Splinter Cell model might be more plausible, but it wouldn't exist without Deus Ex to blaze the trail beforehand.

:lol:

I only have one Splinter Cell game and its still sitting on the to be played shelf.  :-

You just pushed it a little bit more to the front of the line.  =]

The last one is a real resource hog, with all those shadows.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

About the only significant difference between the AI detection in Splinter Cell and Deus Ex is the "countdown limit", by that I mean that when Sam Fisher trips an alarm, there is a record of it, and too many alarms will result in mission failure. This is absent from Deus Ex.

They got rid of the mission failure in Chaos Theory.

Yeah, could probably play it, and even a better with a smaller resolution, but it feels too claustrophobic.

I'll play it (and Lara, and Quake IV, and etcetra) when I buy my new system ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

... in French. :D

pseudo-french anyway.

I was playing through SAve the Lady and I was amazed by how massive the level was. I had forgotten the impressive size of many of the DX levels.

Equip lockpicks, push the relevant button of your belt-inventory(1-9) and click and hold your cursor on the thing you want to lockpick.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds