Deus Ex

Dark_Raven

I'm sure they are both good.

Two of the best! :)

Similar, yet different. Like FO 1 and FO 2. :shifty:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Both are excellent games.  The setting and environments of Deus Ex are more to my liking, so I picked it.

For the longest time I preferred Deus Ex. But after many replays of both, I found myself getting bored with DX but not System Shock 2. I think its because you can build a wider variety of player characters in SS2 and so it stays fresher longer. Maybe?

So anyway, I would give the nod to SS2 at this point, but that is kind of like saying I would prefer to be given 1 million dollars rather then 900,000 dollars. It's all good, baby! :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Is there really a larger variety? I've only really played through SS2 as a Hacking Navy as well as Psi.

I guess the thing that sort of irked me with SS2 was how exceptionally, insanely useful hacking was.

Edited by alanschu

I prefer Deus Ex because I dislike the respawning enemies and the claustrophobic feel of the levels in SS2. Not that it's a bad game mind you, just slightly below DX by my standards.  :lol:

Doesn't matter really, since both easily qualify for the top 10, if not, top 5 games ever made :lol:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I prefer Deus Ex because I dislike the respawning enemies and the claustrophobic feel of the levels in SS2. Not that it's a bad game mind you, just slightly below DX by my standards.  :lol:

I'm normally not a big fan of respawning enemies either, but in the case of SS2 I think the resapwning works. Mostly because you have to travel back and forth all over the ship and if cleared areas stayed clear, it would get a little tedious. The fact that there may be an enemy lurking keeps you on your toes.

ANd the respawn factor isn't huge. Maybe you run into 2 or 3 enemies on your way through a previosuly cleared sector.

Compare that to say NOLF 2 where the enemy respawning almost killed what was otherwise a fine game.

Is there really a larger variety?  I've only really played through SS2 as a Hacking Navy as well as Psi.

I guess the thing that sort of irked me with SS2 was how exceptionally, insanely useful hacking was.

I don't know if there really is or not. I'm just guessing at why SS2 has remained fresher longer than DX.

Each time I play a game of SS2, I think I'm going to be bored, but then I get sucked right in. The last couple times I played DX I couldn't make it past the first visit to Hell's Kitchen.

Maybe its due to the huge amount of dialogue in DX that I've already heard a thousand times? SS2 doesn't have that and is more of a viseral experience, whereas Deus Ex is more of an intellectual experience?

I don't know really.

Is there really a larger variety?  I've only really played through SS2 as a Hacking Navy as well as Psi.

I don't know if there really is or not. I'm just guessing at why SS2 has remained fresher longer than DX.

Each time I play a game of SS2, I think I'm going to be bored, but then I get sucked right in. The last couple times I played DX I couldn't make it past the first visit to Hell's Kitchen.

Maybe its due to the huge amount of dialogue in DX that I've already heard a thousand times? SS2 doesn't have that and is more of a viseral experience, whereas Deus Ex is more of an intellectual experience?

I don't know really.

I'm just replaying deus ex now, and I have just about finished Hell's Kitchen (haven't play for over a week); it's a HUGE level: the last time I played it I did it completely differently, and this time I am finding it much deeper (last time I just tried to get through this level because) the next levels are much, much better, and tend to get better incrementally. :lol:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think my favourite Deus Ex level is the one in the gas station, where they're holding a girl captive and you have to sneak in. I don't know why, since that's one of the smallest levels in the entire game, but I absolutely loved it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Subterfuge takes you a long way it would seem.

Yes it does. You can play the entire game stealthy.

You can also play it guns blazing or a combination of both. You can also go a long way with conversations.

There are many ways to go through the game. It's very good.

:lol:

You can't stealth your way out of the lab building one you upload the dragon sword schematics. You can run by the guards while invisible, but that's not the same.

The implementation of stealth was always something of a sore spot for me. It was OK in DX but not very good.

You can't stealth your way out of the lab building one you upload the dragon sword schematics.  You can run by the guards while invisible, but that's not the same.

The implementation of stealth was always something of a sore spot for me.  It was OK in DX but not very good.

Hmm. Possibly. I've played it a lot but it's been a while. I remember hiding under and behind desks and cubicles waiting for the guards to move away. You can also do a lot of moving around using the air ducts.

I do consider hiding and sniping guards stealth, as well as turning on invisibility and walking past the vigilant staff. After all, "stealth" is evading detection, no?

I think you can get through the game without killing anyone... unless I'm not remembering things correctly.

Go go stealth!

Though... I tend to kill everything. :ph34r:

Kill kill kill! Die die die! Oops I hit a cop.... oh crap. :wacko:

You have to kill Walton Simons manu et manu. You also have to dispose of Gunther and Anna either by killing them outright or by "trickery". You are also sometimes forced to kill Manderley if he pulls a gun on you. Which doesn't usually happen unles you leave then return to his office after he talks with Simons.

I do consider hiding and sniping guards stealth, as well as turning on invisibility and walking past the vigilant staff. After all, "stealth" is evading detection, no?

True! But it's brute force stealth. Stealth should be subtle and elegant. Like me. :wacko:

I don't know if you need to kill Simons, and I'm pretty sure Gunther can be avoided...it's just much, much easier to use the computer if he is dead.

I remember Spector saying there was three people that had to be killed, though he was just going off the top of my head. I know Navarre must die. Jacobsen will not give you the key to leave UNATCO otherwise. I think Manderley must die in terms of the story, but you don't have to kill him. Bob Page probably ends up dead no matter what as well.

So you can technically avoid Gunther and Walton and simply run away from the fight? I never even thought to try that. That's what I get for thinking with my assault shotgun and not my head! :wacko: