Halo Wars officially announced

Epiphany

Co-Ops are typically easier because when you die, it's not game over.  I don't know what it was like in Halo, but many of the coop games I have played make it so that the players respawn on death.

Good argument, except that in Halo 2 on the hardest difficulty level, if either of you dies the game reloads from the last checkpoint. It's immensely hard at first, but soon you learn to love what it does to the difficulty. Of course the hardest difficulty adds a whole bunch of enemies and makes them harder.

Really, Halo games should be played in multiplayer, don't even pretend to show any kind of degrading argument(this isn't pointed to you Allan) if you haven't blasted your way through with a good friend and then went over the best points again later on, when the adreline rush has left you. Halo gave me the same kind of insane glee that Goldeneye had, that freakin' Dynabomber had the first time. It's the feeling of finding something new and enjoing it immensely.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

So, am I the only one who really liked the story? Granted, I've never heard of Ringworld or anything, but still...

I liked it a lot better than HL2's plot, and just thought it was a hell of a lot cooler too. I even like the art and concepts a lot more. Comes down to opinion really...

And co-op is a blast. A blasty blast. My cousin and I played H1 for almost a year, just the freakin' demo disc. Then finally got the game itself, and played almost another year. H2 came out....got it the first day, and loved it. Excellent experience. I love the gameplay and the story's pretty good.

For the memory argument....I remember that engagement with the Scarab in H2 almost perfectly, and the first landing in those foreboding swamps in H1, still there. Walking in on a room covered in Covenant blood is still fresh in my mind. Good times.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

So, am I the only one who really liked the story? Granted, I've never heard of  Ringworld or anything, but still...

I liked it a lot better than HL2's plot, and just thought it was a hell of a lot cooler too. I even like the art and concepts a lot more. Comes down to opinion really...

And co-op is a blast. A blasty blast. My cousin and I played H1 for almost a year, just the freakin' demo disc. Then finally got the game itself, and played almost another year. H2 came out....got it the first day, and loved it. Excellent experience. I love the gameplay and the story's pretty good.

For the memory argument....I remember that engagement with the Scarab in H2 almost perfectly, and the first landing in those foreboding swamps in H1, still there. Walking in on a room covered in Covenant blood is still fresh in my mind. Good times.

I don't like the plot all that much, it's farily straightforward and not at all suprising, and that goes for both games. On the other hand, I was never really woved by an FPS story(unless you count Thief: Dark Project) and Halo gets back in ambience what it loses in story.

Co-op is the mother and father of blasty-blast. We played Halo 1 like two years straight, trying to do everything possible inside the game. Which wasn't a whole lot, but "rocket ghost"(rockets+invisibility+rat race+one on one slayer) was very nifty. When the sequel game, we bought it the moment it hit the stores and played like 9 hours straight. Gravemind is still an awesome level. Even on Mythic-difficulty.

Ah, the scarab. I remember getting stepped on when the thing walked over the characters near the last engagement. Good times, good times. Last time I was so fed up with the whole thing I took a ghost and drive it on top of the thing, while it was moving. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Can't forget the fun of bashing your buddy in the back while he's sniping at a Elites. :D

God, we always got into bash fights. Mid-level, covies all around, gun fire everywhere...bash. "HEY! What the hell, dude?" Spawn, bash back, repeat, until you agree to a truce....then drive him off a cliff in the warthog 'cause he got the last bash in. :)

The Library is the longest damn level I can think of, ever....but it was still creepy and suspenseful that first time through, and the first Flood combat form that leaps out from the shadows is always a shock.

Anywho, about Halo Wars....it's a 360 exclusive, which is just stupid for an RTS, I don't care what the control scheme is. Doesn't fit the genre at all. :(

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Bash-fights were great, so was trying to crash your pals warthy with your own in Silent Cartographer. Yeah, and sword fights in mid-air. ^_^

I like Library. I like it because it's nothing but action all the way. That's why I play FPS'.

About Wars, I think it could be a squad-based thing. Not squads as in DoW, but squads as in Freedom Fighters. You know, low-scale skirmish with the odd big fight here and there. Would fit the world a whole lot better.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

I like Library. I like it because it's nothing but action all the way. That's why I play FPS'.

I like action. I like FPS. I like the environments the FPS action takes place in to vary. The Library made me want to kill nuns and eat babies.

About Wars, I think it could be a squad-based thing. Not squads as in DoW, but squads as in Freedom Fighters. You know, low-scale skirmish with the odd big fight here and there. Would fit the world a whole lot better.

I think it's more likely that MS would put the Age of Empire folks to work on an Age of Empires style RTS in the Halo universe than a squad based shooter.

Edited by Hell Kitty

You make a valid point about Ensemble.

There was that SW RTS that was basicly a AOE 2 skinpack done by ES. I get the distant feeling that this one might be a skinpack for AOE3.

kirottu said:

I think Halo sucks, the world feels generic and the Humans vs. Covenants struggle is lame.

Although knowing that a top quality RTS-developer works on it, I'll try to give it a chance. It's not the first time after all that a AAA-dev can evolve a crappy franchise into a great one actually. Let's hope Ensemble enriches Halo with it's own ideas instead of just milking out the obvious lameness that Halo currently suffers.

I remember adamantly following Halo back in 2000. My friends and I were very excited about the game. Then it went XBOX exclusive and we all cried (okay just me).

When I finally got a chance to play it on the PC, it was a neat game, but ultimately left me unimpressed.

Never got the chance to play or even see a RTS on a console, with a gamepad!

I can imagine it's not gonna be a hardcore RTS a'la AoE, more like a cinematic, chunky action-RTS where you can select a bunch of Halonauts with the "Y" button.... Oh damn, I better shut up now, I really have no clue how a RTS could work on a console. :D

Edited by Morgoth

Never got the chance to play or even see a RTS on a console, with a gamepad!

I can imagine it's not gonna be a hardcore RTS a'la AoE, more like a cinematic, chunky action-RTS where you can select a bunch of Halonauts with the "Y" button.... Oh damn, I better shut up now, I really have no clue how a RTS could work on a console. :D

actually it's like using a mouse only. No Hotkeys... Generally I think it would take more skill to do an rts game on the console... It'd be impossible with somthing like Company of Heroes that requires you to micromanage your fights.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The Library was tolerable the first time because it actually made you turn and look behind you every 3 seconds in paranoia. What was REALLY crap was those Covenant compounds where every single room and corridor looks the same, and there are about 30 of them.

Same with Halo 2, around mid-late game.. I rushed that game but there was one with repeating purple conveyor belts, I think. Horrible.

Halo could very well be turned into a 'traditional' RTS a la those LOTR strategy games and so forth. I rather imagine it would be more 'individual', in that sense placed somewhere between Age games and Warcraft.