NFL 2006 Season

Enoch

Shockey is the absolute embodiment of the "dumb jock" stereotype. He gets very passionate about the game, and he doesn't have a whole lot of tact, but he will always work as hard as he possibly can to win. As a receiver, he's not the greatest, although some of this is scheme-- he was more dangerous when Fassel was the coach and he ran more downfield routes. But his blocking is better than any of the other top receiving TEs I've seen. (Gates, for one, is rather inconsistent as a blocker.) Shockey also seems prone to nagging foot & ankle injuries-- he usually ends up playing through pain for 4-6 games every season, which limits his effectiveness somewhat.

Burress is a bit of a prima donna. He's talented, but, like a lot of WRs, needs his ego stroked from time to time.

Anyone who's watched a MNF broadcast this season knows that Kornheiser doesn't put much effort into knowing football. I do, however, value his contribution for those sublime moments when he calls out Theissman on air for flagrantly contradicting himself. I've been wanting to do that to Joey T for years, so it's nice to hear from time to time.

And, speaking of watching Theissman suffer, there's only one "L.T." While he was, at one point, the greatest football player on the planet, he hung it up years ago. :aiee:

Edited by Enoch

At TE, Gates and Gonzo are the tops. I agree that Shockey is the epitome of "dumb jock." And he went to Miami, so that's another reason to hate him. He provided the mold for "K2," my hometown's version of the big-play, big-mouth TE.

That's not where the similarities end: Cleveland might hire Romeo Crennel back as a lame-duck coach, which will make it even more difficult for him to manage discipline on a team of prima donnas whose numbers don't validate their massive egos.

Volo, you sure love to defend whiny receivers. Plax was notorious for sulking when a game wasn't going his way in Pittsburgh. Yes, he's talented - but he's a headcase.

Even in this league, where talent talks and doesn't fear the repercussions, I still believe a coach needs to his players to fall in line.

Forgive the clumsy military analogy (I've never served, but I have watched a lot of war movies), but when a brigade goes off to war, does the field commander allow dissenting remarks about his tactics? It's okay to want to win, but respect for your leader is necessary. If that respect is unfounded or misplaced, at least in the NFL they'll be back next year with a new coach.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

"If that respect is unfounded or misplaced"

That's the key. Coughlin simply doesn'td eserve the respect as a football coach. Like I said before, when you come in bragging about discipline and your team gets too many silly penalties there's somethingw rong your coaching. When you come in and start fining players because they were EARLY to a meeting; you lose credibility.

"Volo, you sure love to defend whiny receivers."

I defend humans from personal attacks thata re uncalled for. So what if r eceivers whine. It's not a big deal. All i gotta do is watch how Burress performed on Sunday, and nod my head when he demands the ball.

I want the best team. And, a team is better when they have Burress on it. A coache's job is to deal with different personalities. if they can't handle it; that's their problem.

What you guys seem to want are drones. Drones are boring. I watch football to watch HUMANS play their hearts out. That's what Burress, Shockey, and Owens signalfy for me. Espicially the latter two.

"I still believe a coach needs to his players to fall in line."

Absolutely. But, the coach needs to know how to get that done the proper way.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That's the key. Coughlin simply doesn'td eserve the respect as a football coach.

If that's proven to be the case, he will get canned. Maybe it should've happened already, but if his team doesn't improve next year, his firing is inevitable.

Nobody is arguing that football players shouldn't play hard and want to win. If they even care at all about the team, of course they will be frustrated after multiple losses. They may even have suggestions: maybe they think their talents aren't being utilized to their full potential; maybe they think a new strategy would help put some W's on the board. Good, that means they care - if they didn't I wouldn't want them on my team. Unless of course their concerns are for the good of their free agency value and not the good of the team ... but I digress.

But if they have suggestions, or even if they want to whine, it doesn't do any good to call out the coach in the press. The losses speak for themselves. Let the analysts analyze, and don't throw your teammates or coaching staff under the bus. Go through internal channels with your suggestions or complaints. I'd bet the coach would be more receptive to your ideas if you voice them in his office rather than with a cluster of microphones in your face.

That's the key. Coughlin simply doesn'td eserve the respect as a football coach. Like I said before, when you come in bragging about discipline and your team gets too many silly penalties there's somethingw rong your coaching. When you come in and start fining players because they were EARLY to a meeting; you lose credibility.

At one point the Cowboys were leading the league in penalties, I don't thing Parcells lost respect in anyone's eyes.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

None of this silly bickering matters now that the Bears are back. All your footballs are belonging to us!

I've heard rumors that Devin Hester is going to be shipped to Iraq to single handedly break the insurgence.

Edited by kumquatq3

None of this silly bickering matters now that the Bears are back. All your footballs are belonging to us!

I've heard rumors that Devin Hester is going to be shipped to Iraq to single handedly break the insurgence.

Sure, he could do it. Just let him arm himself with Tank Johnson's arsenal. :)

Sure, he could do it. Just let him arm himself with Tank Johnson's arsenal. :)

LOL

Yeah, well, I'll tell you what they didn't find in Tank's basement. Al Qaeda. Coincidence? Doubtful.

^ The Ravens sucked. I don't know much about their team so I'll end it there.

# 1 in defense this year. They excelled down the stretch especially when Bilick took over the offensive play calling. They were favored to win by 4 points. Not that many people gave them a chance, including me. The Ravens were outplayed, never lead, and really posed zero threat to the colts.

As a Charger fan I am pretty excited about our chances against the Colts, we match up against them much better than we do against the Ravens. The last two times we played the colts ( in Indianapolis) , both where incredible nail biting affairs that went down to the wire. Chargers 3 - 1 against the Manning's.

Now all we have to do is get by the Patriots....

SD's defense is not good enough to stop Manning. However, their running is gonna crush the Colts' D so SD will likely win (if they get by NE which they probably well; but not a given).

Ravens are a good team... who had a bad day, offensively.

Well the Eagles loss, their lack of size up front really showed along with their rash of injuries. Trotter doesn't have the legs anymore to play in space, Gaither, though a rookie with great upside, is playing out of position, and Jones just lacks the physical ability to matchup with offensive lineman on the strongside.

In the end there's lots of reason to be optimistic for the Eagles, the return of McNabb, the emergence of Westbrook, and the offensive line returning completely intact. Revamping the linebacker corp. and the drafting of a prototype strong safety should be at the top of the Eagles' list along with getting a big back to spell Westbrook. Its hard not to rate this season as a success for the eagles given all the adversity, but it still feels empty as a fan. Oh well, we should be one of the frontrunners for the superbowl next year, with a much better and healthier team

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

" the return of McNabb "

That makes the team weaker. McNabb is too selfish as a player who will constantly pass the ball no matter what unlike Garcia who actually uses his runningback. Westbrook won't be able to be Westbrook with McNabb on the field. But, the Eagles are all the way up McNabb's butt; he'll be the starting QB - again. And, they'll probably be fighting a .500 record again.

Everything else I pretty much agree with.

P.S. McNabb is more explosive, and is arguably better QB than Garcia; but Garcia makes the *team* better, imo.

Edited by Volourn

See there, it becomes obvious you know nothing about football again. You guys are the ones who have the QB problem.

These arguments are pointless and are a sin in the eyes of our lord and savior, Ditka.

I quote Chapter 7, verse 12, of the book of Ditka when I say: "And low, there appeared Sweetness at the 30, the 20, the 10, Touchdown!"

Ditka scholars traditionally take this to mean arguing about who will win is pointless, as the answer is the Monsters of the Midway.

Repent before it is too late!

Superfans

Guy: Who would win in a fight: A hurricane or Ditka

Group: Ditka!!!

Guy: Ok, ok, ok, but what if the hurricane was named Ditka

Group:...................uhhhhh......Ditka!!

Edited by kumquatq3

"See there, it becomes obvious you know nothing about football again."

That must explain why the Eagles tun, and pass about equally when Garcia is in while with mcNabb; they pass way too much. They also win much more consistently with Garcia.

" You guys are the ones who have the QB problem."

Whgat does that ahve to do with me, or my knowledge with football? It's not like I decide who plays for the Giants and how they play. Are you drunk?

Edited by Volourn

"See there, it becomes obvious you know nothing about football again."

That must explain why the Eagles tun, and pass about equally when Garcia is in while with mcNabb; they pass way too much. They also win much more consistently with Garcia.

Yeah its called play calling. You see on a team their are these guys called coaches. Theres a head coach, whats called an offensive coordinator, and also a defensive coordinator, and a special teams coach. Their are also numerous coaches whos responsibility are individual position, ie. Linebackers coach, runningbacks coach, etc. Most of the time the individual coordinators call the plays for the team, and then a player from the team relates it to the other players on the field, often times these guys are called captains. Coaches call plays according to a "gameplan" that they worked on the week before while lookig at tape at what the other teams tendecies are. So if a team passes more then it runs, more then likely its because the coaches in looking at the tape decided this would be the best way to attack the other team. So that is the basics of how football works, if you have anymore questions feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help you with your understanding of the game. As fans we are all one big faternity and it is up to each of us to share our knowledge so no one is left behind.

Edited by Laozi

All that, and the fact remains that McNabb is a selfish player who is only worried about personal stats, and glory. Philly has proven time, and time again that they are - by far - a better team when spreading out the offense between passing and rushing.

McNabb is scum.

If you need tips on how smart football is played pay attention to intelligent football analysts. ie. Not you, and me.

HAHAHAHAH!!!

Back to simply douchebaggery, eh? That's cool, you gotta stick with what your strengthes are. Have fun this offseason watching those Subway commercials were Strahan begs for "more meat"

'Douchebaggery'? You are the one who decided to attack me instead of having a normal discussion. Your last couple of pages of posts have been littered with flames, and attacks. *shrug* R00fles!