Medieval: Total War II

alanschu

I love roleplaying leaders. Actually, if you want any sort of historical simulation going on in your mind, RTW's 2-turn system really kills it; RTW's movement rates and the level of detail on the campaign map means that each turn is rather like a month than a year. Yet increasing movement rates means it's too easy to "go around" things, as it's not simultaneous turns (and can't be, probably, due to CPU constraints), and decreasing the level of terrain / land detail would cheapen the new map system. That, and things like raising armies and buildings would take a lot longer in the number of turns, so that the focus of campaign gameplay would become tactical movements, and I don't think they want TW to have too much of that.

A pity, but should still be good.

It looks fantastic, and Ill probably enjoy it immensly. I still wish they would have done a game set in the 16-1700's with the thirty years war and fabulous muskets and guns and sea battles with pirates :luck:)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I need a girlfriend.  :geek:

Fixed!

And it's my first one too.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

By the end of the game, you will have professional, "gun-toting armies" so I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of guns.

I wouldn't be surprised if their expansion moves into it, given they are teasing us with the new world as well.

hmm .. The whole colonization part is a tricky thing imo .. and not really fit for a TW game, since it's more combat based and not strategy in that regard (like Europa unniversalis).. They would need to implement a kind of attrition system (or a time limit), otherwise defeating the natives would be too easy! you could just conquer all of Europe (or most anyway) and then flood The New Wolrd with troops..

Fortune favors the bald.

The new world seems like a very small part of the world. It apparently only involves the Aztecs, so you probably only have access to the Mexico area.

Sounds like it is just there to help your economy for the end game...assuming you haven't already won.

Given I won't need to have huge armies as I can recruit them much faster now, I expect to actually go through the game significantly slower now though. My first playthrough will likely be as the ENglish.

Byzantine Empire 4tw. I hated fighting Muslim troops (just because they have so many horse archers) and the Golden Horde had the same problem of Chase: The Extended Version, but still. :)

So the New World is just an extra province available after researching/building particular ships at a certain time?

There wasn't in RTW and it was a long time before modders found out how to change it (which they did, after about a year). As usual there had been numerous aspects of the game which were unexpectedly hardcoded. I am doubtful if this will change in the next TW.

Rather necropostish, but just found a massive, relatively unknown cache of fan screenshots of MTW2 in a convention:

http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=4626.0

-> Landbridges are in places such as Gibraltar.

-> The 'zoom' of the campaign map is the same as RTW; so the 'size' of all countries in relation to movement points will be the same.

-> In general all campaign map graphics remain the same in concept, just revamped.

-> The religion system seems to be a revamped version of the BI one.

-> Custom battle unit selection is the same as RTW.

-> You can capture Prisoners again! See here

-> Family members have: Command, Loyalty, Chivalry, Piety Shown here

Chivalry shares spot with Dread? Where? *blink*

In the last screenie I linked to, there's a princess button at the bottom. The first button I assume directs you to the city he is in; the third one, who knows. Does the second (princess) one just send a diplomat around to arrange for his marriage? Does it open up a window showing possible candidates and likelihood of success? Does it show the profile of an already married wife? Will princesses finally get their own stats? MYSTARY.

I sort of miss the dread value, but I guess they might have integrated that to the chivalry value and maybe characters have set number of points they start with, sort of the medium or standard chivalry that can rise or lower.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I have heard that if you get "negative" Chivalry, it switches to dread.

And yes, Princesses get their own stats IIRC.

From the M2 wiki:

One major addition is the idea of "Chivalry" and "Dread" that effectively decide how a character is perceived, thus giving characters far more distinct personalities. Like all traits and attributes, characters develop these through their actions in the game. For example, when a general captures a city, the player will have the option to peacefully occupy the city or to exterminate the population. The option that is taken will determine how the general's personality develops. Leaders with a high "Chivalry" level will inspire loyalty in those around them, while high "Dread" lords can terrify their followers and the enemy alike.

Sounds like someone with high dread can scare other units!!! :D :D :D

AWESOME! I'm more than thankful for the added depth.

Ooh, the magnamious hype juice of awesomeness is starting to flow again.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

That's magnificent, especially the expanded princess system.

Also, this is from memory, but I was reading some CA comments about AI:

-> In bridge battles, the AI will analyse his army and yours, especially in terms of what kind (ranged, etc) of troops you and he has, then decide whether to try and cross, and if he does, with whom and with how much of the army.

-> Missile heavy army will delay melee contact as long as possible and milk 'em arrows. Vice versa.

-> Cavalry flanking has been 'improved'

Anyway, the guy that got those mobile shots at the convention said the game he played was 90% functional and completed, so the november date some shops produced seems pretty likely, actually.

I need this game.

Have the minimum requirements been released yet?

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.