Who knew that...

Eddo36

No one has truly "black" hair in that, viewed under a microscope, it is some shade of brown, even verging on red.

However, I agree with Hades. Let's not overengineer our view of hair color. Water is not blue, but the ocean is.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Well, I don't know about sweeping generalizations or 'is black a color' debates, but I do know that my hair, when the sun shines through it, has a very visible reddish brown core, like redwood tree bark.

But it's very black on sight, otherwise. At least, it was before the grey started popping out all over the place...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Mine's a kind of red/blonde again, after all these months in the sun. A few weeks in England should see it heading back towards brown, though.

Eddo, if you read about Asian hair being red somewhere online, I'd appreciate the link. I think my students might find it funny. :mellow:

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Well, I don't know about sweeping generalizations or 'is black a color' debates, but I do know that my hair, when the sun shines through it, has a very visible reddish brown core, like redwood tree bark.

But it's very black on sight, otherwise. At least, it was before the grey started popping out all over the place...

Oh, you're not alone. I still like to think my sprinkles of grey make me look distinguished. hahaha

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Me too... apart from the grey part, that might take some years, or if I'm lucky and inherited that part from my mum, then not for a very long time (she's almost 50 and not a single grey hair yet!) :mellow:

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

I don't think it's a big deal, Hades...just something to blather about. :)

Although from a genetics point of view, it might be interesting to know what the codes are for 'black' - ie, does DNA mix color codes (or whatever) to come up with 'black' or is it a single unique 'code' with some minor variables that make black be various shades...

...er, someone stop me, I know nothing about genetics. lol ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't think it's a big deal, Hades...just something to blather about. :)

Although from a genetics point of view, it might be interesting to know what the codes are for 'black' - ie, does DNA mix color codes (or whatever) to come up with 'black' or is it a single unique 'code' with some minor variables that make black be various shades...

...er, someone stop me, I know nothing about genetics. lol ;)

I've just been told by a very clever person that grey hair isn't actually genetically inherited... however said clever person didn't explain what it is that causes it... anyone know? Stress is an obvious candidate, but can't be the only cause. Hormones? Exposure to the sun/hair products?

I'm guessing it's a lot of factors, though I'm not sure if I believe it's not genetic at all. Because I know that in some families for instance, premature grayness is common. I know a lot of thinks like hormones, diet, are big ones. There are certain foods that will cause you to age faster than normal if consumed heavily. I couldn't tell you if black hair is caused by one single gene or not, but I'd be willing to bet it is. Then again, hair color can change as someone gets older, like going from almost blonde to brown. ;)

Edited by Dark Moth

I'm guessing it's a lot of factors, though I'm not sure if I believe it's not genetic at all.  Because I know that in some families for instance, premature grayness is common.  I know a lot of thinks like hormones, diet, are big ones.  There are certain foods that will cause you to age faster than normal if consumed heavily.  I couldn't tell you if black hair is caused by one single gene or not, but I'd be willing to bet it is.  Then again, hair color can change as someone gets older, like going from almost blonde to brown.  ;)

About the single gene thing... I'm not sure about physical characteristics since I haven't studied them in great detail, but I know for many other inherited traits, such as personality and such, there's no "single" gene coding... things like that are done on a scale... that's why personality has a normal distribution and not a bimodal distribution... extremes rarely exist :)

I was platinum blond when I was a kid. I mean, I was white haired. I always wanted to have darker hair and I've preferred a darker haired look over the years.

Obsidian Plays

I want a polar bear ;)

You and Bj

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I want a polar bear ;)

Let me relate to you a story I just read. It's about a little bunny rabbit.

The Fable of the Excellent Bunny

Once there was this excellently perfect bunny (like you).

The bunny always did perfectly excellent things.

One day the bunny met this chicken who was a huge jerk.

And this chicken always did mean horrible things.

The excellent bunny wanted to make friends with the jerk chicken.

But as you know, there's no talking to jerks like that.

So the bunny let his friend, Mr. Bear, eat the chicken.

And then everything was great!

Moral: All problems can be solved by letting a bear eat them.

May I ask why you want a polar bear? :x"