Tough Questions

Krookie

It's a shame that the name Adolphus has suffered so, all because of one bad egg ...

I remember reading somewhere that some Americans had to change their name because of Adolf Hitler.

There is a character named "Adolphus" (in Tom Jones, the first novel written by Henry Fielding, I think).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

1. No

2. B

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

Abortion.

C.

And I stand by those choices. When making a decision, one can't base the choice on a marginal statistical possibility.

Also, I'm well known for my fascistoid idiosyncrasy anyway, so...

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Philosophy time...

If you had an infinite number of monkeys working on an infinite number of typewriters, would you get the works of Shakespeare instantaneously?

Instantaneously? As in the limit approaches zero? If that's the case it could work against the theoretically infinite random generators (ie typwritin' simians).

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Well, if you have an infinite number of them, if you piece together the single letter typed by some of them sitting beside each other, you'd get the works of shakespeare :blink:

Naturally it wouldn't be as time approaches zero if you wanted them to completely type it out. But it would be done!

Plato was a pretentious idiot, with too much money for his own good.

He was a genius, too, though.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Or hate is the reason love exists.

You're silly.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

If many monkeys are typing isn't it possible that one of them might type something that is functionally identical to Shakespeare although the letters might be different?

Perhaps the monkey inadvertantly is using a substitution code, for example.

Or using a different language, for example.

Or maybe a substitution code in a different language!

Or maybe a more sophisticated code which never-the-less can be deciphered by an expert crytographer and language expert to be Shakespeare.

When information theory is applied to the question it becomes more likely!

And more interesting! :D

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

...and an exact replica/copy of every single one of us here on this forum.

So there's actually a monkey double of all of us. Creepy.

Edit: My slightly intoxicated mind is far superior to my sober one <3

Edited by Petay

If we have an infinite number of monkey's, I have no doubt that we'd also have translated works of shakespeare :blink:

Why don't we put those monkeys to good use and let them write crpgs instead ?

An infinite number of monkeys slaving away at the keyboards... one of them is bound to end up with a good game :(

As for the original questions, the answers were:

1) No (for the very reason that a Beethoven might be the result)

2) A (I thought A was James Bond :"> )

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They got ointment for that now.  :blink:
I'm not feeling any itching. You use that yourself. Can't get any worse anyway...

Love is a serious mental disease.

Plato (428-348BCE)

I'm not sure he was qualified to diagnose mental illnesses. He did have a point, though.

Why don't we put those monkeys to good use and let them write crpgs instead ?

An infinite number of monkeys slaving away at the keyboards... one of them is bound to end up with a good game :blink:

We would need an infinite amount of reviewers to try those games and find said "good game". Those reviewers would in turn produce an infinity of reviews that you would have to spend an infinite amount of time reading. Worry not, though. There's plenty of time.

Pesky infinites... <_<

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.