Atari Takes Neverwinter Nights 2 On Summer Tour

Comic-Con 2006: The Challenges Faced by Game Writers

These backdoor methods of waiting in the shadows for someone to become desperate seem to be the norm for getting a job as a game writer. Even Chris Avellone of Obsidian, designer and writer on games heavily praised for their writing such as Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment, Knights of the Old Republic 2 and now Neverwinter Nights 2, offers similar advice at the panel, advising that would-be game writers get their names (and business cards) spread around, network a whole heck of a lot, and wait.

"Be absolutely persistent," he said, "and then wait for someone who very desperately needs a writer."

In addition to would-be game writers facing a new way of thinking, there's yet another challenge - one of quantity. Because of the nature of the medium, and because players are not roped in to one continuous experience, game writing requires a great bulk of, well, writing.

"What we try to do is make sure that every character has three or four different stories going on at once, but that experience might be different depending on your play style," explained Avellone. "You actually have to include three or four branching plotlines that might change. It's like a 'Choose Your Own Adventure' book, but a lot more complicated and detailed."

Edited by funcroc

Awesome! I just registered to attend PAX on the 26th. They better f-ing be there and they better have a demo I can take home to tide me over until the game gets released! Only then will I forgive them for moving the release date and ruining my birthday! :D :)

"What we try to do is make sure that every character has three or four different stories going on at once, but that experience might be different depending on your play style," explained Avellone. "You actually have to include three or four branching plotlines that might change. It's like a 'Choose Your Own Adventure' book, but a lot more complicated and detailed

Lou Gutman = lead developer in training. He should put "Supermarket Hy-jinx" on his resume.

Am I right?

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Futhermore, I think their touring group should consist atlest one junior designer, preferably woman and preferably called "Annie"... I

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I move out of the Midwest because nothing ever happened there and now they get NWN2 in Indiana. F--- me.

Sorry, but my actual initial reaction to this was: "Ha, ha, you suck!" :D

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Again, sorry...

Heja Sverige!!

And as a side note, find a band that knows the real/true meaning behind the penticle. Too many people get their occult knowledge from watching B horror flicks and think its fact.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

What? Did you post this in the wrong thread or something?

Edit:

Penticle - This 5 pointed star surrounded by a circle is the most wide known of the symbols. In the U.S. it is generally worn with the single point facing upward because the Christian Church has brainwashed people into believing that the star with the point facing downward is a symbol of the devil. This is an OUT AND OUT LIE! The penticle with the point facing downward is the earth energy based penticle and in Europe is worn by the practitioners who have attained their second degree.

Edited by Pidesco

Heja Sverige!!

pentAcle

n noun

1 a pentagram, or a symbolic figure inscribed with one.

2 (pentacles) one of the suits in some tarot packs, corresponding to coins in others.

ORIGIN

C16: from medieval Latin pentaculum, apparently based on Greek penta- 'five'.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Pentacle is a pentagram without the circle.

Is this going anywhere? Is it even relevant?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds