Save the world!

The.Donut

How contained is the system, really? I guess it is pretty contained because we can't really jump at escape velocity.

Lets say we built something that could exert enough force on the planet to actually alter the orbit of the planet. Naturally, this would likely result in that object skyrocketing off into space itself as you'd need an ass load of force to do that.

Now, hypothetically (and I'm talking hypothetically...like really hypothetically), if the population of the planet, were able to put a combined net force that is similar to our big object earlier by jumping, what would happen?

How contained is the system, really?  I guess it is pretty contained because we can't really jump at escape velocity.

Lets say we built something that could exert enough force on the planet to actually alter the orbit of the planet.  Naturally, this would likely result in that object skyrocketing off into space itself as you'd need an ass load of force to do that.

Now, hypothetically (and I'm talking hypothetically...like really hypothetically), if the population of the planet, were able to put a combined net force that is similar to our big object earlier by jumping, what would happen?

the same thing :) ...................right? :rolleyes:

If money is the root of all evil.....why is the world not destroyed?

How contained is the system, really?  I guess it is pretty contained because we can't really jump at escape velocity.

Lets say we built something that could exert enough force on the planet to actually alter the orbit of the planet.  Naturally, this would likely result in that object skyrocketing off into space itself as you'd need an ass load of force to do that.

Are we talking about converting some of the Earth's matter into energy?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Are we talking about converting some of the Earth's matter into energy?

Well, in the sense that Earth's matter is consumed by people and those people subsequently jump. Same goes for whatever mechanism fires the big giant thingamajig.

Then that comes under the newtonian model that explains space flight.

Of course I think everyone here is missing THE VERY IMPORTANT ASPECT of momentum. The Earth is moving, yes, but so is the Moon, the Sun, in fact all the stars in the Milky Way, not to mention Andromeda is on a collision course with us, and of course Hubble's mess of galactic objects accelerating away ...

... this thingumajig (I prefer to British spelling) might cause a catastrophe! :)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Is it ok if I do it inside my home or do I have to get outside? Also, do I have to fall on both feet?

Please consider these questions, I wouldn't want to doom the world by doing it wrong. And I'm sure neither would you.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I think it's better if you "hop" from one leg (but really, really high) and then land on both feet (or flat on your face would be even better).

Unless the motion is meant to be "up" instead of down, then reverse it.

:lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Lots of the people I've met so far today haven't even heard of this. I told as many as I could, but I think we're probably doomed anyway. :lol:

Wouldn't it be better if we all stood on each others' shoulders and made a tower reaching to the moon, then we could use the moon to push against?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Not enough people to reach it. :lol:

Also, even if there were enough people, if the timing wasn't exact, then the moon could swing around and hit the people at the top in the back of the head.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Not so. The distance from the Earth to the Moon is 385,000km, or 385,000,000 metres. Taking the average height of a human as 1.3 metres (only counting from foot to shoulders, of course), you would only need about 300,000,000 people to form a tower reaching to the moon. I think a standard-issue cycle helmet for the guy at the top would be more than sufficient.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Not so.  The distance from the Earth to the Moon is 385,000km, or 385,000,000 metres.  Taking the average height of a human as 1.3 metres (only counting from foot to shoulders, of course), you would only need about 300,000,000 people to form a tower reaching to the moon.  I think a standard-issue cycle helmet for the guy at the top would be more than sufficient.

Now you are just being silly.

That's the straight line ... the guy at the bottom would be crushed without some help. You'd need a pyramid. Say a triangular pyramid, and it would be 300,000,000 tall and (taking two people widthways to support one person vertically) about 600,000,000 for the bottom triangle, of the tetrahedron. 1/3 of these guys, multiplied by the upstanding guys gives the total volume of moon-punchers in our configuration. 200,000,000 multiplied by 300,000,000 is 60 million billion. Which is a lot more than the population of the Earth (unless you want to start digging up the recently dead, but they wouldn't be as tall and fall over).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Not so.  The distance from the Earth to the Moon is 385,000km, or 385,000,000 metres.  Taking the average height of a human as 1.3 metres (only counting from foot to shoulders, of course), you would only need about 300,000,000 people to form a tower reaching to the moon.  I think a standard-issue cycle helmet for the guy at the top would be more than sufficient.

Now you are just being silly.

That's the straight line ... the guy at the bottom would be crushed without some help. You'd need a pyramid. Say a triangular pyramid, and it would be 300,000,000 tall and (taking two people widthways to support one person vertically) about 600,000,000 for the bottom triangle, of the tetrahedron. 1/3 of these guys, multiplied by the upstanding guys gives the total volume of moon-punchers in our configuration. 200,000,000 multiplied by 300,000,000 is 60 million billion. Which is a lot more than the population of the Earth (unless you want to start digging up the recently dead, but they wouldn't be as tall and fall over).

It's time to reproduce!

(w00t)

as long as you are orbiting the sun with the earth, you are contained within the system.

yes, in order to effect the orbit around the sun, the mass must leave the earth's orbit.

if they left the earth's orbit in a straight up jump? well, you could figure out the balancing equations (force and momentum i'd assume) and determine the net effect. probably not much compared to the mass of the earth. all human life combined is probably 6B * 100kg (worst case, average is actually less than 100kg, more like 60-70kg) or 600B kg whereas the earth is 5.9742

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

oh, this does not take into account the fact that the earth's orbit will stabilize to an equilibrium based on its revised mass.

of course, if all the nut-cases that think this is a good plan really want to jump off into space, i will not try to stop them.

taks

yup, alanschu. i'm actually hoping your hypotheticalness rubs off enough on the nut-cases, btw.

you can probably get a good deal on tape-drive backups now, hades.

taks

Edited by taks