Shameless Firefly Fan

Fionavar

Agreed.  However they could renew the series and have the "second" season lead up to the events of the movie.

Nah. Whedon said the storyline of the movie filled the second half of the first season AND the second season. It was his goal from the beginning to kill off...

SPOILER

... Wash by the end of Season 2.

If the series ever comes back, I want the story to continue from where it is, after Serenity. No need for semi-complicated, redundant pseudo-prequel/flashback crap.

Characters that persist in a multitude of life threatening events can get old as well.

I mean, how many times can a group of people go through extremely dangerous situations without any of them dying.

Plus, death of a popular character can illicit an emotional response, which tends to make things more memorable IMO.

I'd love to see the series continue too, I just do not know if it will be possible. At least not with the original crew - well not all of them at least. Someone mentioned the Wonder Woman reality for Whedon, and I suspect this is a good observation/challenge. If he can pull it off and have a hit on his hand, this would definitely give him some leverage. Whether or not he wants to, however, I guess continues to be a valid question if in fact that stars a line correctly.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Plus, death of a popular character can illicit an emotional response, which tends to make things more memorable IMO.

I completely agree.

I will always remember the movie To Live and Die in LA, with William Petersen as the main character who gets killed by the serial killer he's been hunting throughout the film. It was a slap in the face in a movie world where happy endings are always expected.

In Serenity, I thought Wash's death was ok. I really liked him but he was, after all, nothing more than the comic relief and his story was pretty much done anyway. Book however was a much more mysterious character and his death would have benefitted from a postponement, for a comic book, sequel or revival of the series. We will never know what his background was, how did he know all these things about the alliance and military stuff? Unanswered questions.

In Serenity, I thought Wash's death was ok. I really liked him but he was, after all, nothing more than the comic relief and his story was pretty much done anyway. Book however was a much more mysterious character and his death would have benefitted from a postponement, for a comic book, sequel or revival of the series. We will never know what his background was, how did he know all these things about the alliance and military stuff? Unanswered questions.

Joss said that any future Serenity install meants, were they to happen, would dive into Books past a bit.

and Wash was more than comic relief.........you bastard!

Edited by kumquatq3

Not a difficult trick: old friends and enemies are sure to exist in the universe.

Also, a lot of the secret nature of the Operatives would be best revealed as more of the rest of universe is explored, otherwise there is the danger of the early Vulcan revelations of Star Trek TOS: crap that was difficult to incorporate into the cohesive universe (singing Spock, anyone?).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The Operative's last speech suggests that unknown members of Parliament could be PO'd enough to go after Serenity's crew for their actions on Miranda. Malcolm Reynolds is a wild card--resourceful and unpredictable. While he has no great ambition, he is not exactly a threat to their power; but they could easily perceive him that way.

I would expect that a continuation of the story would head in that direction; and in that case, it's very likely that Book's past might be explored. Since Parliament is located on the core worlds, Inara, with her contacts, would be invaluable--and we might learn a bit more about her, too (such as why she left). She is also known to be traveling on Serenity; attacking or threatening her friends might bait a nice trap.

Edited by kalimeeri

Gromnir: couldn't disagree with you more. I've shown in person and lent out my copy of Serenity to more than 15 people, all of whom, geeks and otherwise loved the film. Four have gone on to buy it on DVD the next day. Yes it was not the series. But it was a great rollercoaster film. Indeed it has also got great critical reviews the last time I checked rottentomatoes.

Not sure if I want to fork out cash fora DVD of people being geeks. Bearing in mind that in my opinion it was over geek-freakiness that drove away norms from the film.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Gromnir: couldn't disagree with you more. I've shown in person and lent out my copy of Serenity to more than 15 people, all of whom, geeks and otherwise loved the film. Four have gone on to buy it on DVD the next day. Yes it was not the series. But it was a great rollercoaster film. Indeed it has also got great critical reviews the last time I checked rottentomatoes.

Not sure if I want to fork out cash fora DVD of people being geeks. Bearing in mind that in my opinion it was over geek-freakiness that drove away norms from the film.

serenity got some prety terrible reviews too... so what does that mean?

people like/liked serenity 'cause they liked firefly, but the movie not stand well on its own, and in five years we doubt more than a handful o' people mention serentity as one of the best sci-fi films of the past decade. where were the real character development in serenity? the villain got some, and so did river... the rest o' the cast got scraps. the plotting were kinda silly sci-fi fare, but that is ok, but why did a big-screen production looks so damed small.

oh, and the LAST classic comic book character we would want joss to get his hands on is wonder woman, 'cause it is just gonna be another buffy/river. he could't resist making river a buffy-sister, and we suspect that he does the same with wonder woman. all that power, but still just a vulnerable girl...

5 years and nobody will mention serenity, which is a good thing... but is just our opinion. we thinks even fin recognizes some of the shortcomings of the film, but he see potential for franchise based on the series. fine. good. but don't try to tell us what great storytelling or filmmaking were serenity. as an homage to a show that deserved to live? sure, but as a movie?

HA! Good Fun!

ack.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I definitely see that Book was likely an Operative. The episode with Early(Objects in Space - Richard Brooks) was not only one of the most creative character development episodes - imo - it added in one line so much potential about Book that I think you've got lots with which to work.

Parliament/Mal & plot lines. I'd love to see this SLOWLY evolve. Don't forget River has WAY moreinfo in her head than just Miranda. She's still got a lot of potential for story-lines, but also there needs to be care not to jump the shark - for which any continued series holds real danger. I'd like it to continue as an ensemble piece with balance - something Buffy quickly lost and Angel walked somewhat well. I definitely do not want the River show ... I want to know more about the core and the reality of where and how humanity is where it is at ... high wishes, but hey, ya gotta ta aim high :)

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Well, Serenity was better than the Star Wars prequels, The Matrix movies, and a host of big name science fiction films that has came out in the last 5 to 10 years. maybe Serentiy wasn't all that good overall, but compared to its competitors its the best so far.

So Gromnir, what would you rate a recently released science fiction film that is better than Serenity?