New games in Steam

http://www.steampowered.com/?area=news

JA 2 and Disciples 2: Dark Prophecy? What is this...my birthday? I've been looking for both for ages and I have no doubt thatt with those prices some of you are interested too. All in all, Steam is becoming more and more awesome by the month.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I've never played JA2, this is pretty sweet I can try it out now. ;)

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

JA2 is like X-Com or Fallout Tactics, innit?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Pretty much yeah, a lot more open than Tactics, but pales in front of X-Com.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

You could find both games cheaper if didn't mind digging around store shelves (I got Disciples II Gold for $4.99), but they're easily worth the $30 regardless. Hours and hours of fun guaranteed.

Disciples II is especially recommended for HoMM fans.

JA2 is like X-Com or Fallout Tactics, innit?

Not really. Well, they are both TB squad tactical games, but they are very different. Both are ace though.

There's an awesome new mod out for Jag 2 that was just updated a couple weeks ago. Hundreds of new weapons, sounds, combat options, attachmennts etc and so forth. High res options, too.

edit: I'm not talkign abotu FO:tactics. Just XCOM and Jag 2 btw.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Really? What other games does the series have?

Edit:Oh, I'm under moderation, so my replies might take a while to manifest themselves. Just wanted to note that.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Really? What other games does the series have?

I don't remember right now, though the stores seemed to have a lot of them in stock. They have dull, brown boxes.

Comedy gold.

I know, I know! :thumbsup:

X-Com was good. Probably one of the first games I played based on diplomacy. Cult of Sirrus LOL.

That was XCOM: Apocalypse, which was good but its not in the class of the first two.

ALso I wouldn't say it was based on diplomacy. Other than the fact you could bribe them off for huge sums of money if you wiped out their building with incendiary rounds and explosives.

uh, sorry about that. I saw an alien. :D

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

X-Com was good. Probably one of the first games I played based on diplomacy. Cult of Sirrus LOL.

You aren't really talking of Xcom, you are talking about Xcom 3. While I liked 3, it doesn't compare to the first two.

Back to JA2 though, this is the only game I still load up year after year. It is probably my favorite game of all time. It's much different than Xcom, although the TB combat can be compared. JA2 is about the MERC/AIM personalities. They simply rock. You owe it to yourself to pick up this game. It's remarkable how well it still looks too.

I've heard about the coolness of the mercs' personalities in JA2. How similar is it to Wizardry VIII's system?

It's much more developed, because the mercs are not created by the player. They have relationships with each other and respond differently to different situations. One of my favorite moment in gaming was in JA1. You would sim through the night, and one night a fairly annoying female merc suddenly went missing. Fidel's guilty response was solid gold. You really come to love and hate your team.

Anyways, the comedic timing is similiar in both games, as they had the same writers.

Ah, so more fleshed-out. Cool. I love Wizzie8's personality system.

How would you compare it to other RPGs in terms of party interaction?

Well, its not a crpg as such, so the interaction is more limited. The mercs make comments about things that happen and situations they get into. Some of them won't work with others. They all have pretty strong personailities. I think its superior to Wiz 8 (which is also one of my fave games).

There's a lot of dialogue in the game with NPC. A lot for a non-crpg that is. Probably equivalent in a lot of ways to the dialogue in Oblivion. Excpet you can't have question and answer sessions. Other than the occasional yes or no kidn of answer. But they do have a lot to say. There are quests and your characters level and what not.

The core of the game though it is a sophistictaed tactical combat system (Don't even try to compare it to Fallout) and a fairly complex strategic management portion as well.

WIzardry and Jagged ALliance were both develope by Sir TEch

JA2 is, imo, superb. It is just one of those games that I too find I pick up year after year and replay. Although I could never bring myself to ever finish it off completely...I reach the very end and instead of well..I won't spoil it here..but instead of finishing it I retreat my mercs and go wreak havoc among the countryside. I love the games' open endedness. Anyway, yes I am a fanboy for this game :mellow:

Hmm, just played the demo (or rather, met an untimely death). That was very cool. The gameplay seems quite impressive. Didn't get a good feel about the personalities, though. The whole merc management thingie with sectors seems nice. Quite tempting.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Majek and Pete have started a new Jag 2 thread at Missy's which they seem to do once a year. They love the game and love talking about it with anyone. I'm sure they'd love others to join in if they see fit to do so.

http://www.community.mistresslair.net/showthread.php?t=10106

Hmm, speaking of which, any way to increase the game's resolution beyond 640x480?

Yep, follow the link in Majek's first post in the Lair thread to the 1.13 mod which makes a lot of changes. Pete is playing it right now. He just got his ass kicked. lolol.