What Music Are You Currently Listening To?

Darth Launch

You see, Nirvana to me are the epitome of rock, they're dirty and they can't really play their instruments, they're bums and they're noisy as hell, but they're also full of energy and vitality, they dedicate themselves fully to their lousy playing, and I can respect that, even though I hardly listen to them, maybe once a month at best, and even then it's probably the Albini record.

Oh, and I like Cobain because he reminds me of me, and if there's someone I've always loved and respected, that's me.

Swollen Members - Dark Riders.

I have. They quickly threw that gimmick.

That recording of Layne I just linked to? This was pretty early in their career. Right after they threw that gimmick out.

Look at Alice In Chains Unplugged, you can totally see how much trouble he's having not passing out. But hearing Layne at the top of his game? Sends chills through my bones.

Mad Season - I Don't Know Anything

Edited by TrueNeutral

...Not that there's anything wrong with a little hair metal once in a while, right?

Right?

300px-Bon_Jovi_New_Jersey.jpg

Bon Jovi - Wild is the Wind

I suppose my street cred just went out the window. Then again, I've already ditched any elitist aspirations when I said I listen to Hootie and the Blowfish.

Edit: That Luna song is really cool, Kor.

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

If anything you should be thanking Nirvana for ending the reign of the hair metal bands. 

Luna  -  slash your tires

Followed by what? The grunge movement actually making good music lasted, what, three years? Then we got post-grunge dingo like Creed and later on the entire nu-metal movement as a result. Every decade has more poop than good, you know. For every Bob Dylan there are twenty Motley Cru

Just to throw more wood into the Nirvana discussion, I think Dave Grohl is a kickass drummer.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Killer7 Soundtrack

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Just to throw more wood into the Nirvana discussion, I think Dave Grohl is a kickass drummer.

He's also a kickass guitarist and songwriter.

Singer, not so much. Although he's the only one that can make angsty-as-hell lyrics sound happy.

Green River - Unwind

Yes.

Number one reason QOTSA had a hit with "No One Knows." The drum fills on that track are so sick they're contagious, baby. :cool:

Question:

Would the Foo Fighters have made it on their own or did they need the jump start of being "the band with the drummer from Nirvana?"

Also, have the Foos obliterated Cobain's shadow with their success thus far?

The Foo Fighters have definately shaken off the musical implications of such, anyway. They've become the unexpected arena rockers of this decade.

I think most people realize they're entirely different bands. The Foo Fighters probably would have made it on their own, albeit in a different form.

Personally, I gotta say Everlong is one of the best songs I know and I like it better than pretty much everything Nirvana released.

This would be Dark Messiah soundfiles. They are pretty bland to be honest.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

If anything you should be thanking Nirvana for ending the reign of the hair metal bands. 

Followed by what? The grunge movement actually making good music lasted, what, three years? Then we got post-grunge dingo like Creed and later on the entire nu-metal movement as a result. Every decade has more poop than good, you know. For every Bob Dylan there are twenty Motley Cru

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

lights and sounds

- yellowcard

Next time I have a hockey game, I will definitely play that song for motivation. I've always found that commercial funny and absurd because that's a song that would never get me pumped for anything.

We need a new warmup song and almost everyone suggested that just because it'd be funny. This kid Tyler (who has the V-Cast phone) downloaded the song and plays it in the lockerroom sometimes. For the record, we decided on some classicrock song for our warmup. The worst I've seen was these kids from Yonkers, NY who came out to "Shake Your Tail Feather" by Nelly. I mean, what the hell?

"No Breaks": The Bravery

The Kinks - Everybody's Gonna Be Happy

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Melechesh - Of mercury and mercury

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

And post grunge there were still some high spots, like the debut of Oasis and also Weezer. 

Plus I would like to add that bands like Creed and this whole nu metal thing are the fault of your generation, TN, not mine.  It's not the fault of grunge that the bands that were popular when you were growing up sucked so badly. :lol:"

Robert Palmer  -  Bad Case Of Lovin You[

Weezer and Oasis aren't post-grunge...?

Post grunge is not a time-period. No, post-grunge is a movement. It's basically any band that went 'hey this band is pretty cool, let's rip them off'. Creed tried to take over from Pearl Jam and Godsmack from Alice In Chains, for example. Puddle Of Mudd, Nickelback, that sort of ****e. In fact, post-grunge was already active during the actual grunge period (Stone Temple Pilots, Bush).

And this is absolutely not my generation. Post-grunge is the grunge generation trying to hold on to it's relevance in the world. They've pretty much all moved on now. For example, Creed became Alter Bridge, losing almost all it's grunge trademarks in favor of hard rock.

Not that this is saying much, because my generation is even worse. See, I'm the metalcore and screamo generation. SO FULL OF HATE.

Temple Of The Dog - Reach Down

As any teenager in the mid-90s, there were times I was tempted to give in to my hormone-driven urges to "break stuff." Still, I never bought a Limp Bizkit or Korn record. I wear that admission like a badge of pride. The closest I got to nu metal was going to a P.O.D. concert once when I was 16.

I did buy the first Creed CD though, and even told my friends that it was good and they should buy it too. Those guys made some serious music ... about something. As for Bush, well Sixteen Stone was the third CD I ever bought. Sold that sucker back to CD Warehouse probably four years ago. As Dylan said, "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

The Byrds - My Back Pages

*weeps*

I own all three Disturbed CDs. :( I'm gonna give away the first two though. I no longer like them.

The third? I like that one. You can barely feel the nu-metal anymore anyway. They're just hard rock now. Besides, David Draiman is a pretty good singer. Hell, they're doing solos now. Granted, the solos make me go 'whoa, scales!' but still.

Creed had one or two good songs. I like 'One'. Creed's biggest problem was their incredibly annoying singer. I mean, ****, if you're going to rip off Eddie Vedder, rip off the parts people liked, not just the parts people hated and Ed has stopped doing. Creed in itself was not a terrible band. Mark Tremonti is not a bad guitarist. Alter Bridge has proved this when they allowed him to stop downtuning his guitar for that 'grungy' sound.

Eels - Something Is Sacred

I wear newspapers for pants, and a T-Shirt that says "Damn, I'm Good"

When I was 14-16, the second cd I bought was Nightwish' Wishmaster.

Uh-huh. :(

Korpiklaani - K

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said: