Game Critics Awards: Best of E3

Actually, those defintions help my cause, fools.

"published, broadcast, or recorded work that continues the story or develops the THEME OF AN EARLIER ONE."

The Final Fantasy SERIES surely continues the themes over its entire course.

"To be a series these video games would need to be part of the same continuity."

Bingo. And, they are. The continuity in the FF SERIES, I repeat SERIES very much fits these defintions.

Or, or, or is the key word in defintion 1.

'continue the story' or 'develops the theme of an earlier one' which the FF SERIES surely does hence the following:

FF1, FF2, FF3, FF4, FF5, ...., FF11, FF12, and FF13. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yes, yes i does.

Oh, btw, thanks for telling everyone that NWN2 is *not* a sequel to NWN1.

R00fles!

P.S. not to mention Madden 2007 is NOT a sequel to Madden 2006 since it doesn't continue the same 'story'.

The list can go on. L0LLERS

Edited by Volourn

Volourn, you are wrong. Just admit it already, there is no shame in it!

The stories in each Final Fantasy are NOT connected in any way (FFX-2 being the only expection). They might (not all FFs have them) recycle concepts and ideas, but even then, they are not related. Examples : FFII's "Promised Land" has nothing to do with FVII's "Promised Land." The "Ancients" are a different group of people in every FF they are mentioned in, again the groups are not related in any way.

Bingo. And, they are. The continuity in the FF SERIES, I repeat SERIES very much fits these defintions.

Could you please explain what you mean? I'm having a hard time following.

"The stories in each Final Fantasy are NOT connected in any way"

Reread your own defintions that you provided.

Or is a key word.

Also check up the definition of series.

Again, would you call NWN2 a sequel to NWN1? How about Madden 2007 a sequel too Madden 2006?

Defintion of Sequel from here:

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/sequel

se

Edited by Volourn

So, just because they expand and enhance older concepts, that automaticly connects the entire series?

I still don't call any FF (cept X-2) a sequel, stories are not connected and they don't even take place in the same universe.

Again, would you call NWN2 a sequel to NWN1? How about Madden 2007 a sequel too Madden 2006?

Never beat NWN and I don't know much about NWN2s world. If they don't even take place in the same world, I wouldn't call it a sequel.

As for Madden... No story in Madden, the games follow the times in what kind of content they have. So, I guess not.

Edited by Haitoku

"Never beat NWN and I don't know much about NWN2s world. If they don't even take place in the same world, I wouldn't call it a sequel."

They take place in the same world. In fcat, in the same area. NWN2 still doesn't continue the same story. But, it is a sequel nontheless.

Madden is a series, and they have sequels 'cause they continue the same themes as do the FF games.

Ask yourself your question? Why is FF13 being made, and why did they call FF13 if it wasn't a sequel? It's not a direct sequel ala FFX-2; but it is a sequel.

Either way, good fun. :)

Edited by Volourn

Why is FF13 being made, and why did they call FF13 if it wasn't a sequel?

Because it's part of the series... (oh god, I'm just feeding you more material aren't I?)

They take palce in the same world. In fcat, in the same area. NWN2 still doens't continue the same stiry. But, it is a sequel nontheless.

I would consider it a sequel then, because the effects of the first NWN are there and they have effect that world I'm sure.

I guess my definition of seque is far more narrow then yours. Sequel for me at the very least would involve the effects and remnants of the predecessor being there (from a story perspective).

The Final Fantasy VII stuff is in fact very direct sequel-ish.

Before Crisis and Crisis Core are set prior to the happenings in FFVII, using some of the same characters and showing the events that led up to the original game. Advent Children is set two years after the game, Dirge of Cerberus three; but both continue the FFVII story. Cerberus is a third-person shooter and is scheduled for release in the US in August. Graphics and modeling are on a par with the Advent Children generation.

There's something to be said for continuing a tradition that works. I think that people who play the FF games do so because they like the common elements, similar to people who look to Bioware for certain common traits. And it's easy to see why Square is so loyal to the FF trademark--it saved their company.

Stories aren't linked, words aren't related...  They are not sequels, just games in an on going series.

So Oblivion and Morrowind are completely independant of each other, right? :huh:

But you do find DX and DX:IW sequels... even though the entire game-machanic got changed and raped...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Stories aren't linked, words aren't related...  They are not sequels, just games in an on going series.

So Oblivion and Morrowind are completely independant of each other, right? :)

But you do find DX and DX:IW sequels... even though the entire game-machanic got changed and raped...

No. Hell, can't you see the land of Morrowind on the Oblivion world map?

Aren't both elder Dentons in both Deus Ex's?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Paul is in IW, at least in one of the endings. The extent of his involvement in the plot, thankfully I don't remember. ;)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

That question was rhetorical.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

No.  Hell, can't you see the land of Morrowind on the Oblivion world map?

Can't you see the chars/monsters/clans/areas of FF (enter number here) in FF (enter an other number here)? :-"

JC's in IW, Paul isn't. Tracer Tong comes back though, so, meh.

I probably should use spoilers; but since it could prevent people from playing DX:IW and thus saving their soul:

After meeting JC in Antartica the first quest he gives you is to free Paul from the Templars. If you decide to free him (instead of killing him) you will see him ingame...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

No.  Hell, can't you see the land of Morrowind on the Oblivion world map?

Can't you see the chars/monsters/clans/areas of FF (enter number here) in FF (enter an other number here)? :-"

Like I have pointed out many times...

Examples : FFII's "Promised Land" has nothing to do with FVII's "Promised Land." The "Ancients" are a different group of people in every FF they are mentioned in, again the groups are not related in any way.

Same goes for everything else that might be common in FFs.

No best turnbased strategy category :'(

Railroads! was the only game I recognised on any of those lists :-

Ah well, still got HoMM V and Tombraider Legends on my shopping list. Perhaps I should try Google on some of those best PC game titles :-

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Damn, I forgot what this thread was even about...

@ Topic

Sucks, none of the two Shin Megami Tensei titles that are making it over to North America are on the list. I guess obscure, niche Japanese RPGs aren't for everyone. :-

Edited by Haitoku