Pentagon eyes ways to use military

Eddo36

I believe there is a quota on how many people from a country is allowed in each year. Once that quota is filled then no more immigration is allowed for that country. DOn't quote me on that for I don't know 100% but I think that is how it goes.

You should just let them come in illegally. As soon as they realise how sh*t the u.s is they'll soon leave again.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

You should just let them come in illegally. As soon as they realise how sh*t the u.s is they'll soon leave again.

**** as opposed to what? :(

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Right, right. So they are going to allow the military to curb illegal immigration by doing... what exactly?

I live in a country where illegal immigration is a very serious problem, and I understand where all this is coming from. At some point, we had literally tides of illegals overrunning the 2,5 meter-high fences, hundreds of people at a time. So, eventually, a few army units were deployed. I don't know exactly what were they supposed to do, but I know they were not authorized to fire on trespassers. The next week, the fences were overrun again. The only difference: a few injured soldiers.

So now, what I'd like to know is, how good is the military at controlling (as opposed to shooting at) groups of unarmed civilians?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Civilians won't know if the weapons are carrying blanks or live ammunition...just fire into the air with blanks. Only a thought.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

Stopping illegals is a good thing but using the military to enforce our laws is not their job. Their job is to protect the country and our interests overseas. The job of upholding laws and regulations is done at the local level. You start having the military do the job of the local law enforcement, it starts to look like a militaristic state.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Guess how fast they'll discover that the soldiers can't shoot?

In order to be effective, soldiers must have the authorization to shoot people crossing the border. If they are authorized to do that, then it'll be a massacre.

Of course, deploying the army to the border is just another way of indicating that Bush is "tough on <insert group here>." I doubt it'll make any difference in the long run aside from wasting more tax dollars.

You might find this interesting: http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/5/11/194909.shtml

because it's what the founding fathers did...

The founding fathers also decreed that black slaves were 3/5th of a person and not capable of being citizens.

Stop acting like the law is God's will. The advantage of a democracy is that you have the ability to change the law (for example, Bush has the ability to grant amnesty to all current illegal immigrants, thereby making them lawful citizens/immigrants). So long as you're unwilling to question it, that freedom is worthless.

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

Why would it be a massacre? Who says they'd shoot to kill? And why on Earth would you be hopping the border in the first place with armed guards standing on the other side? That's like bending over for a bull when wearing red trousers. Stupid.

because it's what the founding fathers did...

The founding fathers also decreed that black slaves were 3/5th of a person and not capable of being citizens.

Stop acting like the law is God's will. The advantage of a democracy is that you have the ability to change the law (for example, Bush has the ability to grant amnesty to all current illegal immigrants, thereby making them lawful citizens/immigrants). So long as you're unwilling to question it, that freedom is worthless.

Thank you for clipping out the rest of the quote...

You know, the part about amendments? Surprise, they do happen. :thumbsup:)

Changes can be made of course, but if he were to do that, then what about all the others still coming in? What do you propose we do about that? I am not unwilling to question the law. I do all the damned time. It's just that this particular law has its place and has its use.

The laws themselves become useless if they aren't enforced.

Edited by LoneWolf16

- Everlast

Hmmm next the Freedom Wall... (ie the berlin wall with even MORE boomsticks)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Why would it be a massacre? Who says they'd shoot to kill? And why on Earth would you be hopping the border in the first place with armed guards standing on the other side? That's like bending over for a bull when wearing red trousers. Stupid.

Because shooting moving targets is so easy that you can always just aim for the knees, right? I recommend you examine the following article:

http://www.americas.org/item_121

When armed guards patrol the borders, people get killed. No questions about it. The only argument that makes sense is Hades' - why should we care?

It's just that this particular law has its place and has its use.

Then debate its use instead of hiding behind the argument that IT'S THE LAW. Recognize that the illegal immigrant "problem" was tolerated, even encouraged, for a long time by the government for the sake of cheap labor. That they're cracking down now is a political maneuver, not a legal issue, and therefore any arguments regarding whether the law is just must take into account its political and social context.

Not merely the fact that the law exists.

There are doors

It is about time the law is enforced. Just becuase it wasn't enforced years ago does not mean it shouldn't be enforced now. If we can make sure that it can be continually enforced with the border guards having the ability to defend our borders with an armed response then so much the better.

But why?

If the law was overturned tomorrow, would you shed a tear? Or would you accept it nonchalantly and make a 180 with regards to your attitude towards "illegals" (now legals). Have you no opinion other than the desire that all laws be enforced?

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

No.

However I do hold this opinion. If one is to move into a new country to live and work that person should have the courtesy to learn the language and customs of that country to a proficient level before moving to said country.

Such as if I was to move to live and work in Quebec I would make sure I know French at a proficient level first. If a person is to come into my country to live and work he or she needs to have a proficient level of expertise of the English language.

Edited by Judge Hades

This is a very serious issue.  We need to stop illegal immigration at any means necessary.  If that means using the military then so be it.  I rather have them do that than be over in Iraq.

If people want to live and work in the US then let them do so legally.

Well it takes a long time to become a legal citizen.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

However I do hold this opinion.  If one is to move into a new country to live and work that person should have the courtesy to learn the language and customs of that country to a proficient level before moving to said country.

Such as if I was to move to live and work in Quebec I would make sure I know French at a proficient level first.  If a person is to come into my country to live and work he or she needs to have a proficient level of expertise of the English language.

Pretty hard to do so when your country has no schools for the poor, I'd think.

There are two types of non-refugee immigrants. The first is well-to-do in his or her own country, and comes to the US in search of even greater wealth and opportunity. Such an immigrant does indeed go through the troubles of learning English and the American custom before entering, because he or she's already part of a nation's elite, and can afford to do so.

The second type is what we're talking about: the dirt poor immigrants looking for either a way out of their permanent poverty or at least a way of supporting their impoverished families back home. You can't expect these types of people to have English schooling - if they did, they wouldn't be trying to immigrate.

So the question is: do you allow only the former type of immigrants in your country? And if so, how far are you willing to go in terms of moral decency? We have laws, post WW 2, that guarantee the safety of refugees because despite being illegal immigrants, to send them back would be a death sentence and no government with a semblance of humanity would condemn whole slews of people to their deaths (as happened with the Jews when they were turned back by other countries trying to flee out of German-occupied Europe).

Illegal immigrants are not exactly formal refugees, but they're close - their country is not only dirt poor, but run by drug lords and gangs under whom no people can truly be free and happy. It's therefore extremely hard to deter them - and as the article quoted earlier states, they're willing to go to extraordinary lengths to enter the US. Thus, it's one thing to say that these problems are not the problems of the US, and another to mobilize the army (who, unlike the average police, don't fool around with their weapons) against unarmed civilizations.

There are doors

Then debate its use instead of hiding behind the argument that IT'S THE LAW.

I'm not hiding...I actually believe in a certain degree of order brought about by the use of laws. This particular law is a black and white one, as I've said before. Either you come in legally, or you don't. There are ways to do both...but one shouldn't be surprised by a less than welcoming reception should one choose the latter. :)

- Everlast

What goes on in other countries is not my concern. What goes in in my country is my concern. If the leadership in another country is piss poor then the people should try to make sure they get new leadership and axe the old ones instead of taking the coward's way out and flee to another country.

I treat everyone the same and no one is treated better or worse than another. My expectations out of a person is no different from what I expect out of myself. No more and no less.

What goes on in other countries is not my concern.  What goes in in my country is my concern.  If the leadership in another country is piss poor then the people should try to make sure they get new leadership and axe the old ones instead of taking the coward's way out and flee to another country.

I treat everyone the same and no one is treated better or worse than another.  My expectations out of a person is no different from what I expect out of myself.  No more and no less.

From an individual's perspective, that's a good attitude to have. There are some problems, however, that you can't solve that way. Mexico is one of them, unfortunately.

I believe we will see that in the coming years.

There are doors