Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog has never really worked in 3D like the awesome 2D games,

untill now it seems.

First time Ive been pumped for a 3D Sonic game since Sonic Adventure in 1999.

It doesn't require too much of a leap in logic to assume that, without Sonic the Hedgehog, many of us today wouldn't even know what a hedgehog is. More importantly, Sonic's influence on the world of videogaming can't be overstated. In a time when the industry had begun to deteriorate around the weakening shoulders of the Atari and its clones, the rivalry-driven duo of Sonic and Mario single-handedly made videogames cool again. While Mario's claim to fame was level design that heavily favored the accurate jumper, Sonic was all about speed and cat-like reflexes. Through the years of the 2D sprite, Sonic and Mario battled back and forth as equally matched opponents. With the arrival of 3D graphics hitting the console scene, Mario swiftly took the upper hand, effortlessly bringing innovative platforming elements into what was then next-gen. Sonic didn't fare so well through the transition, quickly becoming mired in an inability to seamlessly incorporate its trademark devotion to speed into a three-dimensional environment.

Attempts to invigorate the series first with cooperative gameplay and later with the almost-blasphemous introduction of guns fell well short of fixing the problem. With the Sonic franchise having lost long ago any notion of the videogame greatness it enjoyed during the Genesis days, Sonic Team views the ongoing transition into yet another next generation as an opportunity to return Sonic to his storied past. Starring in the fittingly titled Sonic the Hedgehog, like a battered and bruised boxer with a spirit that far and away belies his age, Sonic is looking to make a comeback by returning to his roots -- to fleet feet and lightening-quick gameplay.

Let's get something out of the way first. It is a pretty safe bet that there will be no gunplay. To those of the Sonic faithful who are shouting praise to the lord, we agree. Sonic will never be Ratchet & Clank and guns have no place in the pure Sonic gaming experience. Their incorporation does nothing to help support the idea that Sonic has always been about speed. That's not to say that enemies aren't packing some projectile heat. But take it from us, this is a good thing, as it forces Sonic's reflexes to be as fine-tuned as ever.

As for what is included, Sonic Team has taken the overworld and exploration stages found in Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast) and is integrating them with what are called Action stages meant to exemplify what it means to equate the pure Sonic experience with speed. The Action stages come off as slightly-modified rail shooters -- without the "shooting," at least on your part. Foes frantically shoot, bounce, dive, swing, etc...to stop you from running through speed-boost-laden tracks that often times call for you to rapidly switch from running across the floor, ceiling, and figurative walls of each course. During the demo we observed, Sonic made his way through a water course. Best described as a scene of controlled chaos, speed boosts were everywhere and much of the landscape was riddled with precariously placed ledges and platforms arrayed across all four directions. After witnessing Sonic's arms ****ed in their traditionally extended formation, coins and turbo boosts whistling by at blistering speeds, and graphical effects reminiscent of Burnout, for the first time since Sonic has lived in 3D does it appear that that the two can co-exist and flourish.

That's not to take anything away from the exploration stages, however. In fact, these stages that offer a more traditional style of platforming are poised to be equally engaging. Players can either search the environments high and low for secret items, or they can tackle the stages with a goal-directed effort that has them taking on foes with a combo-friendly aerial charge whilst navigating through obstacles that leave no time for rest and contemplation.

The overworld alluded to earlier bears discussion, as Sonic will exist in a human environment populated by traditional Sonic characters -- good and bad -- as well as a large human citizenry. The game takes place in the human water city of Soleanna, home of Princess Elise who bears a potentially powerful secret. Dr. Eggman, having somehow discovered this secret, kidnaps the princess, and her rescue attempt falls in your hands. Standing in your way is a mysterious character who speaks elliptically of an Ilbris Dagger and has reason to want you to fail. More importantly, you will be able to play as this character, which comes to us as somewhat of a surprise considering playing as multiple characters has been done before, to tepid reviews, and Sonic Team claims that this time around the focus is on Sonic and his speed.

Graphically the game looks to be in the same vein as Kameo, offering up stunningly vibrant and decorative environments, precisely detailed characters, and flowing particle effects. Whereas Kameo exuded a mildly distracting array of uber-bright colors throughout, Sonic's palette is more subdued, yet nonetheless fitting in describing a particular environment, whether it be a lush forest foray or an ominous castle chase sequence. Boxes, crates, and barrels are abundant and are only worth mentioning because of the solid physics engine that has been employed in order to make their destruction a sight to behold. One of the scenes we witnessed had Sonic's path blocked by a crowd of stacked boxes. Utilizing his aerial chage, Sonic was able to clear a path through the barrier and watch as the resulting debris realistically scattered across the landscape -- often times making contact with, and harming, nearby enemies.

We caught hints that Sonic Team is seriously investigating the idea of online gameplay, though very few concrete details are known as of yet. It could be as simple as a multiplayer race mode through the action stages. It could be co-op gameplay through the exploration stages. It could be battle-based minigames, similar in style to Monkey Ball. It could be something completely different. Until E3 (hopefully), your guess is as good as ours.

Given the slump Sonic has been in over the past decade or so, it's heartening to hear that finally it is done with the gimmicks and is intently focused on delivering core and engaging Sonic gameplay. The combination of speed-heavy action stages -- which are as true to 2D Sonic as we have seen in a long time -- and exploration stages that stress innovative platforming gameplay has us intrigued. The graphics are certainly up to par when it comes to delivering a next-gen look and the notion of online gameplay is encouraging. With a release concurrent with the PS3 launch -- for the 360 version as well -- the Sonic faithful still have a few months to get their hopes up that Sonic could very well be back, better than ever.

GO HERE FOR SCREENS:

http://1up.com/do/media?cId=3143564

I remember when I tried Mario64 after growing up on a religious devouring of Sonic (and some Mario) 2D... I think it took me 10 minutes to make the first platform jump without dying. :ermm:

I don't know, I played Mario like I play Sonic, that is non-stop and at the fastest speed possible. Had the reflexes and could pretty much beat Sonic games without dying, but 3D never got to me for platformers. We shall see.

Also, Sonic looks really bad in 3D. Always has. (The character)

Tigranes, One of my first 3D games was Tomb Raider and Mario 64.

I had alot of the same problems.. But I remember being so amazed

I loved the hole .. well.. 3D of it.

I agree, Sonic for me has never worked in 3D very well

But I LOVED the fast paced action of the Orignals in 2D.

Sonic never looked that great in 3D eather like you said.

BUT, I think he looks quite bad ass in this latest game!

For a blue hedgehog anyway. lol.

Not enough zombies maybe?

Well 2D Sonic and Mario will seem a bit dated now,

They deffinitly wont 'wow' you.

But back in the day they were it!

Sonic and Mario 2 of my favorite old game series

and deffinitly had the wow factor back then.

In 2D Sonic was my favorite by far but so far in 3D Marios been better

Sonic Adventure 1,2 were ok Sonic Heroes and Shadow were blasphamy

But then So was Mario SunShine.

I think this game is going to be the turning point for Sonic.. Hopefully.

Should give it a go, might like it.

Not enough zombies maybe?

You havn't earned the right to make that joke

The screenshots make it look like the original sonic tv show, all dark and gritty (I'm surprised he doesn't have guns...and named shadow).

Agreed. They could have at least added hair to Sonic. He still looks like plastic.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I guess I should be happy. Only Kum swallowed the bait.

Oh well.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

link isn't working...anyone care to post the screens?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Shut up, hedgehogs have spikes I know, but soncis has never had any hair. I just htought that it was because so far they haven't had the resources to make good hair. That'

kirottu said:

Agreed. They could have at least added hair to Sonic.

... Have you never seen a real hedgehog before or are you just stupid?

Yes, they are roughly 5 feet tall, blue, can move at super sonic speeds, and are sentinel. O ya, no hair. Just huge blue spikes on it's head.

Sega pretty much nailed it, I'd say.