Which is better?

Omega Drivers come to mind. http://www.omegadrivers.net/

They're basically the same drivers as put out by Nvidia and ATI, but optimized by freelance coders or tinkerers. :)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Basically if you order up all the graphics cards there are, every time there's a cosmic leap in performance it's based solely on having more memory.

And where have you found this information. Every benchmark that I've seen has shown that more memory may give you a marginal increase in performance, but nothing huge. Everytime there is a cosmic leap in performance, it's because you're moving from one generation to the next. For example from the 9x00 series to the 1x000series.

EDIT: Hockey games slow posting time...

Edited by Deraldin

Still I wouldn't mind seeing a benchmark review on the chips.  To see the numbers themselves.

Unless things have changed, the biggest problem with onboard graphics is that they share the system memory. Not only does this leave less for the system, but it is typically much, much slower, and usually with a narrower interface. A double whammy of bandwidth limitations.

You likely won't find many benchmarks of onboard video, because they have historically been so hideous to the point that no one would bother reviewing it. Any reviews with them are typically against other integrated systems.

EDIT: And I agree with Deraldin...I have not seen much "cosmic" performance benefits with additional memory. The only performance boosts I have seen from memory improvements have been due to memory bandwidth.

Edited by alanschu

I have a laptop with a 128mb x700 card. From what Ive seen on other laptops, nVidia is always the better alternative. In fact, my AMD 64 3000+ laptop with an x700 gets the same benchmarks as my old 9700 with a 2600+

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Got the Omega drivers in and I am getting about 20 to 30 FPS on Oblivion at max settings with an X700. I am going to tone things down though. Don't want to cook the new system now would I, though I am thoroughly impressed with this E Machine.

RAM is king, it'll make ALL the difference.

Actually, no. Memory-bit inferface "is king".

Well, the bit interface is important, because with high speed, it improves the bandwidth. The bit-interface is just a puppet king for the true powerbroker: bandwidth :x

As for "cooking" systems by playing on systems, I've never really understood that. I don't get the impression that my video card doesn't work as hard when I'm playing a game with lower video settings, as it's usually accompanied with increases in framerates and whatnot.

Edited by alanschu

I know what you meant. I'm just not so sure why disabling features would really keep things cool though, as the impression I get is that the chips are always working as fast as they can when doing most things in 3D.

I'm not an expert on 3D hardware though. It just doesn't make much sense to me is all.

There are different kinds of memory modules though. GDDR3 is MUCH faster than DDR or even GDDR2. A GPU with 512 MB GDDR2 is actually slower than the same GPU with 128 MB GDDR3. Also, unless you're going to use very high resolutions, you don't really need more than 256 MB anyhow (some say 128 MB).

Having a lot of memory for your CPU often has more of an impact than having lots of memory for your GPU. Type of memory matters more.

Thanks. :D

Okay, I got myself a new E Machine and so far it is proven to be a tough little bugger.  Now the question here is which is better my 256 meg X700 Pro or the motherboard based GeForce 6100 that is integrated with shared RAM up to 128 megs?

Custom PC have reviewed every card currently on the market in the current issue (47 in total), June 2006 number 33.

Nvidia GeForce 6200 TurboCache

Typical Street Price:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT