Currently Listening To

Baley

You don't know? You know an obscure Finnish transindrustial metal band, but not Deep Purple's Stormbringer?

I feel old, suddenly.

Deep Purple - Ted the mechanic

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'm not doing this to sound tough. It's just, I grew up around people who cursed, and that is how I talk, and how most people I know talk. I find it utterly weak that we're not allowed to talk that way. After all, every word, if given the right emotional charge, can mean the same thing.

People who don't curse when you know they want to or they usually do? They have something to hide. They either know something, are trying to get something out of you, or are trying to bluntly **** you over. That's basically the gist of it. Not cursing makes you an ****.

Those soccer moms who censor every bit of cursing and get indignant about it? They're all secretly devil worshippers.

This is a public (read: PG) forum of a corporate games developer, not your local pub, or wherever you would like it to be.

Simple explanation: profanity prevents others from participating, whilst the filter does not prevent you from participating.

In general, our guidelines are based on the fundamentals of common sense, respect and tolerance. We ask that our users not post material that is abusive, defamatory, libelous, harassing, hateful, obscene, profane, vulgar, or illicit.

Now please stop swearing, or you will receive a formal warning for your efforts.

Thanking you in advance.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

@Laozi: What's up with Frank Black? Was he a musical guest or does Henry Rollins interview folks on this show of his?

I saw Rollins Band on the Nice tour... How's his talk show? It's probably on cable, so I won't be able to watch it, but I bet it's pretty cool anyway.

Badfinger - What You Are

He has a musical guest every week, next week its Ben Folds. The show is pretty good, I've only seen it four times or so and my friend Andrew said that it had been "retooled" from its previous incantation. I liked it though, it was pretty funny and interesting, its on IFC so ya, a cable show.

Prefuse_73 -- Sabbatical w/ Options

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Son of a Bitch- Kyuss...I always thought this song has some resemblence to the misfit's "where eagle's dare". Regardless, still good working out music....

words are weightless here on earth

because they're free

@Eldar: I woke up Sunday mornin' with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt.

And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert.

Hey, I've lived those lyrics. I'm one of those weak, came to the fold because I was a rock bottom loser Christians.

Currently listening to Nessum Dorma -- Puccini

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Everclear - Watch the World Die

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Roads to Moscow -- Al Stewart

Great song.

Has anyone ever done a review of Darth Drabek? We need one!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm not doing this to sound tough. It's just, I grew up around people who cursed, and that is how I talk, and how most people I know talk. I find it utterly weak that we're not allowed to talk that way. After all, every word, if given the right emotional charge, can mean the same thing.

People who don't curse when you know they want to or they usually do? They have something to hide. They either know something, are trying to get something out of you, or are trying to bluntly **** you over. That's basically the gist of it. Not cursing makes you an ****.

Those soccer moms who censor every bit of cursing and get indignant about it? They're all secretly devil worshippers.

This is a public (read: PG) forum of a corporate games developer, not your local pub, or wherever you would like it to be.

Simple explanation: profanity prevents others from participating, whilst the filter does not prevent you from participating.

In general, our guidelines are based on the fundamentals of common sense, respect and tolerance. We ask that our users not post material that is abusive, defamatory, libelous, harassing, hateful, obscene, profane, vulgar, or illicit.

Now please stop swearing, or you will receive a formal warning for your efforts.

Thanking you in advance.

This is exactly my point. Swearing is not allowed but the reasoning behind it is nonexistent. Okay, swearing makes something PG-13 or R, but hey, what does that even mean? The rating system is entirely flawed, so all this is based on is a couple of indignant bastards who are too lazy to raise their own children and therefore need to turn their children into media hermits, trying their best to ignore that it *will* come. And as for the general guidelines, pretty much every single thing in there that applies to swearing is entirely subjective. I don't any of those reasons apply to my swearing (because, afterall, the word filter does filter them out, and therefore nobody is excluded from participating. **** **** **** ****. see?) and you have yet to give me a proper reason to stop swearing other than being preventive from a warning, which, because it's reasonless, is nothing less than a straightforward threat. The entire system is based on how much of a tool the other person is.

Okay, I declare that as of now, the word dingo, is my personal replacement for any four letter word and has the same emotional charge.

And this is all a dingoing pile of dingo.

Skyclad - Great Blow For A Day Job

You don't know? You know an obscure Finnish transindrustial metal band, but not Deep Purple's Stormbringer?

I feel old, suddenly.

Deep Purple - Ted the mechanic

Ive never gotten into classic metal. Ill check out the original song.

The original song is horrible. I prefer TK's version.

Is deep purple even metal? It sounds like funk or something like that.

Edited by roshan

Ok, ignored. :blink:

Sheesh.

Evil Horde - Hangarmageddon(Doom cover)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The hum -- my computer

You know, TrueNeutral, you had some good points about this swearing business a couple pages ago. Now, it just seems strange that you keep harping on the issue.

The fact is, we live in an arbitrary world. That's one good reason. ...But here's another good reason: profanity reeks of violence. It is the speech of violence if violence itself can be captured by the spoken word. Profanity, whether folks should see it as such or not, scares some people. Take, for instance, me. If I'm with my friends, in my house, and my wife isn't here, I'll swear the whole time. Between the Navy (in which I swore like a sailor) and everyday life, I am not unaccustomed to profanity. If I'm walking down the street with my mom and I hear a group of guys swearing, I automatically assume the worst. I assume:

1) they are dangerous

2) they've been drinking

3) they're fighting.

So, on the one hand, some folks are frightened because a group of guys is swearing. On the other hand, some folks get ready for a fight themselves.

Part of being an adult is knowing when certain types of speech are appropriate. Cooing at a baby is appropriate. Cooing at the guy at the gas station will get you a black eye. Telling your buddy who just scored you tickets to the game, "I love you man" is appropriate. Telling the guy who gives you that plush job, "I love you man" probably, probably isn't appropriate.

Let's get back to profanity. Maybe you curse around your mom. Maybe your mom curses around you. Hell, we all curse to some degree or another. Dammit, I do it all the time. ...But, before you get on your high and mighty horse, I think you have the intuitive idea that you shouldn't break out in profanity in that job interview. You shouldn't break out in profanity in the middle of a memorial service. You shouldn't break out in profanity while walking through campus at an elementary school.

Do you think that it makes sense? I guess not. Does it matter whether you think it makes sense? Most definitely not. Lodge your protest. Shake your head at the arbitrary world in which we live. Think you're better than everyone else. Then get on with life.

Once again, late posting isn't my friend, but I'm forced to mention that the board is very clear. You should have followed the rules. If you expect to enjoy the privilege of access to most public fora, you simply must get past this incident.

BTW: I understand what you're saying. I really do. Nevertheless, you must be mature and live through this grave slight to your rights and liberties as a human being and accept that, while sacrosanct in your mind, the ability to curse at will is mostly a load of crap.

Obsidian Plays

Look, I know that most people think negative thoughts about cursing, but that's only because people keep associating it with things that it has no business being associated with.

And I know I shouldn't curse at a job interview, and I don't - but the fact of the matter is, that's because, like I said, I'm trying to hide it because I want something out of them, mainly a job. That's what I'm saying all along. Not cursing is just a way to appear better than you are. If it wouldn't hurt my chances of getting that job, I would just do it - because that's who I am.

I know that society frowns upon cursing, the point that I'm trying to hammer in is that we shouldn't frown upon it because it isn't a big enough deal to frown upon.

Also, would you assume they're fighting if they're just talking and someone drops the f-word in a sentence just for emphasis? I think you would mostly assume they're fighting when they're shouting profanities at eachother because that's what they're doing, shouting them.

Also, 'you should get over it' is not a good arguement. I have nothing to do right now, I am bored, so why shouldn't I use my time debating? I mean, debate is the first step towards compromises and solutions.

Pearl Jam - Comatose

Edited by TrueNeutral

Look, I know that most people think negative thoughts about cursing, but that's only because people keep associating it with things that it has no business being associated with.

I know that society frowns upon cursing, the point that I'm trying to hammer in is that we shouldn't frown upon it because it isn't a big enough deal to frown upon.

Also, 'you should get over it' is not a good arguement. I have nothing to do right now, I am bored, so why shouldn't I use my time debating? I mean, debate is the first step towards compromises and solutions.

You claim that you know society frowns upon cursing, and then you say that it shouldn't. That is according to you. I say that I should get a million dollars. That is according to me. People won't change because you say they should.

If people won't change, then it is pointless to try and change them, and complaining won't change them either. Therefore, the only realistic option that will change anything, is for you to "get over it".

Society is stiff-necked, get along with it or get shunned by it, but either way, you need it. And that is not a false dilemma, those are the options. If you think of another option, tell me. Get along with it some of the time and get shunned by it some of the time? Go ahead, but be aware that one accumulates a reputation.

On-Topic: Mia-- Chevelle

Edited by Blank

Finntroll - TROLLHAMMAREN!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Sleep - Dragonaut

Finntroll - TROLLHAMMAREN!

*HUG*

*Shoots both of you in the face, then breaks all your Finntroll CD's in two"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

@Eldar: KQD did an awesome T.O.M.B.S. report on me a while back. I'm glad you're thinkin o' me though! : DD's Eldar-inspired "buys a round for the gang" icon:

@Everybody:

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - The Waiting

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs