Oblivion Thread

Fenghuang

Far as I can tell, yes. I don't have the tools to measure heat right on the vid card tho. But not hot in the case, at any rate. Air blown out by the rear fan is still cool. Oblivion's crashed to desktop on me randomly a few times too. Just bugs I think.

Newest drivers fixed that for me. Except some odd hardlocks when map-loading decided NOT to load the next map.

But random CTD's and Blue Screens of Death disappeared (now that I mention it, never had that map-load issue before those drivers... hmm...)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

@Hades Is there one that's not on FartPlanet?

@BW - I have the most current forceware drivers that was on their download page since I got the new card - crashes happened before the new card, haven't had them again yet, the glitch in the screen is 'new'. Only happened once so far.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What? :thumbsup:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Performance talk:

Even if your average FPS is ok and indoor/dungeon is more than ok, there's all these very bad 'hot spots' where it dips like mad. Dickering with all those little in-game settings doesn't do much of anything for me - hot spots are still hot spots. The only thing I found to consistently increase FPS to acceptable (18-20 or better) in those hot spots, while still having view/fade stuff all on high, was giving up and turning the image quality setting in the vid-card menu to 'performance' instead of my usual desired max 'high quality'.

The other thing I found, dunno if someone posted this, is altering the grass via the ini file so it spaces them less densely, or changes their clump size, or something. That helped me quite a bit overall when you're outside and like grass on. In the Oblivion.ini in your "My Games" folder find 'iMinGrassSize'. It''s set by default to 80. Change it to 110 or 130, I put it 110, 130 looks too scattered.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What cpu do you have, bok? Mine doesn't do that. :(

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

I'm wondering if I'll be able to play this on 1600x1200 on my new rig. The new monitor has a recommended resolution of 1600x1200 at 76Mhz. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to trying it again and I'll take some screenshots when I do.

I might do the dark-brotherhood quest-line. If I do, it will be with the intention of infiltrating the organization in order to visit divine justice upon the members.

In the meantime, Sawyer, take your evil loving backside and visit the archmage Deirdre. She'll put you right. In the ground.

Rotten, evil bastards.

EDIT: by the way, how do we take screenshots without turning off the bloom and anti-aliasing. I don't think the Prtsc does justice to my characters.

Edited by Eldar

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

It's an Intel p4 3.2 ghz. You mean your game runs perfect? What are your FPS in that very area the emperor's captain dies?

I wouldn't say perfect, but I'm not running on the highest resolution though either. 1024x768 is fine for me, everything else, but shadows (Set at middle for Int. and Ext.). I don't get any sudden drops in that area. Stays in the 100s.

I've got a P4 3.2 Extreme addition dual-core.

- Everlast

Eh, haven't seen a need for anything higher, since AA and AF are maxed and all.

- Everlast

Oh yeah. It's preeeetty. :D

It gets into the 15+ area in cities though for some reason.

- Everlast

Only happens sometimes. Usually doesn't drop below 25.

Right when I boot up and am standing in a town, it'll drop, then come back up again.

Edited by LoneWolf16

- Everlast

15 can feel ok if you're just walking around and not staring at the little FPS number in the corner and getting psyched out by the low digits - but it's too slow for combat. 20 is more optimum tho.

I find it odd that Oblivion seems set up where AA only is noticable if you set it in-game. Every other game I've ever had I just set it in the vid card menu, and it applies to the game even if in-game it says it's off. Guess they really didn't want people making pretty screens on their own or something so they did something unusual.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I'm wondering if I'll be able to play this on 1600x1200 on my new rig.  The new monitor has a recommended resolution of 1600x1200 at 76Mhz.  Anyhow, I'm looking forward to trying it again and I'll take some screenshots when I do.

I might do the dark-brotherhood quest-line.  If I do, it will be with the intention of infiltrating the organization in order to visit divine justice upon the members.

In the meantime, Sawyer, take your evil loving backside and visit the archmage Deirdre.  She'll put you right.  In the ground.

Rotten, evil bastards.

EDIT:  by the way, how do we take screenshots without turning off the bloom and anti-aliasing.  I don't think the Prtsc does justice to my characters.

Hey now...

Mind what you say about us *Evil Bastards*...

:lol: :D

"For The Love Of Carnage And Discord, I Bring Annihilation And Cheap Beer!" - Mad Dwarf

"Watch that howling1. His sig used to eat cities." - Synaesthesia

"Beat me with a wet noodle huh? " - Feargus Urquhart

"the term "Board Troll" ain't a thing ta be proud o', lads" - Sargallath Abraxium

"The line between comedy and tragedy is pretty thin in these parts." - Overseer

" Grrr... ...Argh." - Darque

Howling, your an old evil bastard.  hahaha

I'll post a screenie later, thanks to fraps.

I resemble that remark...

"For The Love Of Carnage And Discord, I Bring Annihilation And Cheap Beer!" - Mad Dwarf

"Watch that howling1. His sig used to eat cities." - Synaesthesia

"Beat me with a wet noodle huh? " - Feargus Urquhart

"the term "Board Troll" ain't a thing ta be proud o', lads" - Sargallath Abraxium

"The line between comedy and tragedy is pretty thin in these parts." - Overseer

" Grrr... ...Argh." - Darque

I prefer HDR over AA in this game, but since you have an ATI you have both huh.

HDR isnt very well implemented in Oblivion, IMO so I have it disabled and go with some AA to ger rid of those nasty flickerings due to jagged edges

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "