New studio: Bioware Austin

Draikin

If anything, I imagine that just means all three games will be delivered using the same technology.  That means they can release three games in three years (although that may rush production, like KotOR 2.)

Anyone else notice that the Guild Wars expansion is priced at $50?  I guess that's the drawback to no monthly fees.  Of course, that's still cheaper if you compare a year of WoW to bothe GW games.

Might end up looking dated. Although there isnt really the sort of room for drastic improvements in visuals anyway so perhaps not.

You still have to pay for MMPORG expansions so it's not that bad considering it's free to play.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

As I said, GW is still much cheaper either way. EQ is the real con artist in my eyes. They release expansions like crazy, charge for features that most games offer for free, and don't add all that much content in their updates. Asherons Call had a much better system, releasing monthly content for free and only giving expansions for major changes, like housing. WoW seems to be following that model more closely, as the expansion adds areas and new races, as well as mounts.

Anyone else notice that the Guild Wars expansion is priced at $50?  I guess that's the drawback to no monthly fees.  Of course, that's still cheaper if you compare a year of WoW to bothe GW games.

Technically, that would be because it isn't an expansion - it's a free standing game. You don't need GW to play it at all.

Guild Wars is in the gray area of MMORPG's. What are you referring to specifically? There are massive amounts of people online in Guild Wars, but only in designated, non-combat areas. By that, DDO wouldn't be a MMORPG either. Is it because it's free? Plenty of games have marketed themselves as free MMORPG's.

Guild Wars is in the gray area of MMORPG's.  What are you referring to specifically?  There are massive amounts of people online in Guild Wars, but only in designated, non-combat areas.  By that, DDO wouldn't be a MMORPG either.  Is it because it's free?  Plenty of games have marketed themselves as free MMORPG's.

Guild Wars does not offer a persistent world, which is where the 'massive' element of the genre comes into play.

This is the reason GW is free, because it doesn't have persistent servers to maintain, which is how companies justify the fee in the first place (among other things).

Guild Wars it's nothing but a party based, 3d version of diablo, and the non-combat areas are nothing but Battle.net with graphics.

Edited by Lyric Suite

So would you say the same thing about Dungeons and Dragons Online?

Come to think of it, Everquest also separates zones into instances when they get too crowded. I believe the limit is somewhere near 100 per zone.

It also does have a persistent server...but it's just built like a graphic chat room.

I actually do agree with you, but I'm just trying to point out the many gray areas in MMORPG's.

George Bush doesn't care about......meh, nevermind.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think this argument is as silly as the "Diablo isn't an RPG" arguments.

Mostly to the point of 'Who cares?"

Maybe i need to explain myself better.

People argue they don't like MMORPGs because of the fee. Companies justify the fee because of dedicated, persistent servers. Persistent servers is the 'massive' element of the genre.

Guild Wars doesn't have any dedicated servers, but people praise it for the lack of fee compared to other MMORPGs.

Can anybody tell me what's wrong with this picture?