MCA does the 'Codex

Just because you don't ban people for having a different opinion doesn't mean you repsect said opinion. Afterall, you more or less called MCA stupid and a sell out (subtley of course; don't want to be too obvious) all because he disagreed with you on various issues.

Really? Wow, you guys like totally opened my eyes! Can I see where I called him stupid and a sellout?

Really? Having an opinion is considered hilarious here?

Citing your evidence as the people you talk to including it as one of their favourite games is hilarious, anywhere.

You weren't just citing it as an opinion though, as indicated by the fact you tried to "support" your claims.

Edited by alanschu

Citing your evidence as the people you talk to including it as one of their favourite games is hilarious, anywhere.

Was I in court? It was a casual conversation, that Chris himself added to the interview, and I simply stated my observation that PST is a highly regarded game by many gamers. Not all. Not majority. Many.

Discussions are often fun because among other things they promote challenging established opinions and thoughts; not because someone throws f-bombs around or because someone is using their softcore version of insults that elude moderating guidelines. I'd argue it's more fun to convey someone's ideas trough posts which find themselves dumped into a myriad of any of the afforementioned things without resorting to them, but like many other things it's subjective.

Yeah, yeah. That sounds like the "mathematics are FUN!" speech my old teacher used to give. There's a difference between subtly making fun of someone, and drowning her in profanity. And since you can't avoid discussions where people make things personal, I'd rather have the former, myself.

Childish bickering + mellow moderating guidelines = Kindergarten snoozefests.

No argument here. But I don't see how that has anything to do with what I said.

Somebody said them Codexers don't care what we think of them over here. I think this "vaultman" proves the opposite.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

There's a difference between subtly making fun of someone, and drowning her in profanity.

There's also a difference between saying something surrounded in subtle trolling and saying the same thing surrounded in profanity, and if you're following the origin of our exchange you should note that my point is that the attitude behind Shadowstrider's quote is the same kind of attitude that gets expressed here; criticizing the Codex or any other place for doing something which is a common occurence here only because it may be peppered with profanity doesn't make it better.

No argument here. But I don't see how that has anything to do with what I said.

I want to think you're more perceptive than that.

Was I in court? It was a casual conversation, that Chris himself added to the interview, and I simply stated my observation that PST is a highly regarded game by many gamers. Not all. Not majority. Many.

You state straight up:

Planescape: Torment - one of the best games ever made, a game that made many Top 10 lists, but never made the Top Seller list.

It looks more like you are saying, unequivically, that Planescape: Torment is one of the best games ever made.

But hey, we're just having a discussion and I'm disagreeing (BTW, I loved PST).

Yes, I'm clearly trying very hard to win your love and sympathies. I merely find arguing with the locals here amusing.

Yeah that explains it, then. You register here to defend your beloved Codex, because you don't care what we think.

Eh... okay.

There's also a difference between saying something surrounded in subtle trolling and saying the same thing surrounded in profanity, and if you're following the origin of our exchange you should note that my point is that the attitude behind Shadowstrider's quote is the same kind of attitude that gets expressed here; criticizing the Codex or any other place for doing something which is a common occurence here only because it may be peppered with profanity doesn't make it better.

That's your opinion. It's not just the profanity, that's secondary. The trolling and violent disagreement (subtle or not) are also restricted here. I don't read the Codex regularly, but from what I have read, that's not the case there.

I want to think you're more perceptive than that.

I make a point of disappointing. :thumbsup:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Planescape: Torment - one of the best games ever made, a game that made many Top 10 lists, but never made the Top Seller list.

It looks more like you are saying, unequivically, that Planescape: Torment is one of the best games ever made.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6135401/index.html

"Despite its flaws, and by virtue of its unorthodox design, innovative gameplay, and distinctive story and writing, Planescape: Torment has rightfully claimed its place among GameSpot's greatest games of all time."

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/540/540546p1.html

"In a world where gamers constantly cry about the need for originality, Planescape: Torment easily qualifies as one of the most strikingly original games ever conceived and the game's failure to sell is a mystery that would even baffle the Lady of Pain."

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...410/ai_n7180539 (Computer Gaming World)

"t took the surreal, otherworldly AD&D Planescape tabletop game and created one of the most unique role-playing games ever."

Those aren't regular reviews, btw, those are Hall of Fame articles.

Yes, I'm clearly trying very hard to win your love and sympathies. I merely find arguing with the locals here amusing.

Yeah that explains it, then. You register here to defend your beloved Codex, because you don't care what we think.

I registered here on January 12. I decided to join this discussion to clear up some questions/issues about the interview. I ignored many attacks on the Codex in this thread, because I really couldn't care less.

That's your opinion.

Of course; that particular part of the post was about our opinions.

It's not just the profanity, that's secondary. The trolling and violent disagreement (subtle or not) are also restricted here. I don't read the Codex regularly, but from what I have read, that's not the case there.

Trolling may be restricted here but I've yet to see it being moderated to any meaningful degree. And by meaningful I don't speak of a "Memento Mori" tagged to a post preceding the lock of a thread, either.

I make a point of disappointing.  :thumbsup:

You were talking of how some perceived issues (profanity) with posts made on the Codex, coupled with their lack of profanity filtering, led discussions into being schoolyard brawls. Likewise I indicated what I felt happened here using your formula.

"Despite its flaws, and by virtue of its unorthodox design, innovative gameplay, and distinctive story and writing, Planescape: Torment has rightfully claimed its place among GameSpot's greatest games of all time."

Oh, look, a few lines firther down:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6128539/index.html

"Click-click-click-click-click."

Apparently Diablo is "great" enough to be on that list too.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Oh, look, a few lines firther down:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6128539/index.html

"Click-click-click-click-click."

Apparently Diablo is "great" enough to be on that list too.

So? It's a great game, isn't it? Or did you expect me to have a heart attack? Different genres. Doom is probably on that list too, or at least, it should be.

So? It's a great game, isn't it? Or did you expect me to have a heart attack? Different genres. Doom is probably on that list too, or at least, it should be.

Different genre ? Not according to gamespot.

Diablo

Platform: PC | Genre: Role-Playing

Publisher: Blizzard | Developer: Blizzard | Released: 1996

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The point is that you pretend not to care about our opinions and deny your obsessive behaviour over Planescape: Torment in the article, yet you provide "evidence" that Planescape: Torment is "teh bestest evah!!", evidence that you could probably find about almost any game if you looked long enough. Or better yet, just write it yourself.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The point is that you pretend not to care about our opinions and deny your obsessive behaviour over Planescape: Torment in the article...

Obsessive behavior? Once again, it was a discussion, I expressed an opinion. I compared PST to KOTOR2 the same way one may compare the first book of an author to his latest work. Am I getting through here?

...yet you provide "evidence" that Planescape: Torment is "teh bestest evah!!", evidence that you could probably find about almost any game if you looked long enough.

You are embarrassing yourself now.

Mistress' used to be cool; now it's just ok. I post in the Games Forum 'cause it's still cool. :cool:

Vault, you know it's true. You guys bash MW 9as do I), DS, and NWN yet all those games (espicially NWN and MW) have won MANY awards, have great reviews, and everything else. And, please, don't use Gamespy (or other sites) as axamples consideirng how much you guys bash those review sites as garbage, sell outs, and other assorted namecalling.

R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Fight! Fight! Fight!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy