Oblivion GOLD!

taks

He said it wasn't bad, same thing to me...
Funny how you attempt to refute his argument, and then proceed to back that attack up with the exact same kind of reasoning you criticize.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

How are you actually playing out your character's personality with keywords as the only verbal manifestation of any character attitude or personality trait? You may want to argue about how pre-written dialogue lines are not allowing for much character roleplaying as they are few and limited in style and function - which I agree with - but single keywords or topics are worse because they don't even hint at any personality at all. The illusion of choice in regards to roleplaying is heightened by familiar character traits one can ascribe to his or her characters found in these pre-written lines; you want to play the angsty type, there's a dialogue option that enables the character to express himself as such. Want to be just, honor-bound, uphold good? It's there. Maybe relay to others that your character will eat their livers with a nice Chianti and some fava beans? It's there. But what can you convey, character-wise, while choosing generic topics or words? The problem often found in that kind of method, and which was largely noticeable in games like Wizardry 8 and Morrowind, is that choosing topics or keywords will almost always generate a barebones question made by the PC that involves said topics or keywords, which the NPC will react in his or her own way. There's no personality at all in that; no chance to tell the gameworld "hey, this is how my character reacts or feels". At the end of the day, the PC comes off as an empty shell which doesn't manifest beyond goblin smashing or item fetching.

That's probably my biggest apprehension with Oblivion, and one of the things that made me strongly dislike Morrowind. I don't understand what led Bethesda to believe the context menu dialogue system was actually a good feature, other than the fact it requires far less work than writing out dialogue trees and specific NPC responses to them.

Encylopedic context menu's are not fun. They have all the entertainment and role-playing value of typing a keyword into Google or Windows help. They establish little more than an excessive vaguness for your character. I'd even actually prefer to have a character's personality predefined for me Japanese RPG style, than have them be totally devoid of personality.

"They leave more room for imagination and role-playing freedom" is a poor excuse. Any game with a lack of overall content leaves more room for imagination in that case. Minesweeper could be provide the greatest role-playing possibilities of all time going by such logic.

The reality is they're there because Bethesda was too lazy, or focused on other aspects to put too much effort into dialogue. Good dialogue for me, as well as opportunities to define who my character is through the game, are possibly the most important elements to an RPG for me.

At least Oblivion will have a mixture of both styles for dialogues. Wiki style and the other style...(i can't find a name for it :alien: )

And yes, i am defending Oblivion... (w00t)

Edited by karka
centinexx.png

I don't care about the dialogue's failings...I can fill in everything with my imagination anyway, so what's the point? I just want the damned thing to GET HERE already!

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Been doing that for the past week. It hasn't helped. :'(

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast