Duke Nukem 4 Ever!

DarthMethos

I thought everyone would get a laugh. This game has been in production for about five years. I bought the first Duke Nukem game when I was 18. The memories of an 8bit game. At 1up.com there is an interview with 3DRealm's owner George Broussard. It would appear that Duke Nukem 4 Ever is in full production and is slated for release this year. The article is two pages long. Bottom of page 2.

1up.com's Article:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3147571

Duke Nukem Rumors:

http://www.planetduke.com/

The Duke Nukem Site:

http://www.3drealms.com/duke4/

"Hail to the king babe!" :p

I thought everyone would get a laugh. This game has been in production for about five years. I bought the first Duke Nukem game when I was 18. The memories of an 8bit game. At 1up.com there is an interview with 3DRealm's owner George Broussard. It would appear that Duke Nukem 4 Ever is in full production and is slated for release this year. The article is two pages long. Bottom of page 2.

1up.com's Article:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3147571

Duke Nukem Rumors:

http://www.planetduke.com/

The Duke Nukem Site:

http://www.3drealms.com/duke4/

"Hail to the king babe!" :lol:

Five years? It's more like 9 years. DNF was announced in 1997 and was originally sheduled for a spring '98-release.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

How long until they have an announcement that they're switching to the Unreal 3 engine?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Will anyone even care about this title when it does get released?

Seriouslly...

Also, There is no way it can make a profit at this point. Unless it pulls a sims2 type of sales on the top 10 for 12+ months which I am pretty sure wont happen.

I was talking to a game dev about this title several months ago, and he said at this point, at best, they can maybe break even assuming its a run away title of the year (once all the dev costs are tallied and subtracted from the gross).

IMO this will be on the top 10 sales for no more then 3 weeks. And thats being kind.

The problem is most of the generation that remembers this game/series has moved on beyond FPS, and the new generation of kids playing FPS does not remember this title/brand.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I think they are using the Unreal 3 engine now. :thumbsup:

I think a Duke Nukem 3 would sell pretty good. Not the greatest. Since the public hasn't seen a Duke Nukem (first person shooter) in a while, I think there is potential for a new fan base. I don't think they will be breaking any record sales.

There will always be a cult follwing to Duke Nukem. It may be a small following, but there will be a following. :D

Will anyone even care about this title when it does get released?

If it's good, they will.

Seriouslly...

Also, There is no way it can make a profit at this point. Unless it pulls a sims2 type of sales on the top 10 for 12+ months which I am pretty sure won't happen.

(Apparently) the game has been finished for months: the devs are just play testing and doing all the clean-up that doesn't seem to be a high priority for a lot of other publishers ... :-"

*pregnant pause*

1UP: Wait, wait. You guys are working on Duke Forever?

GB: [Laughs] And ever and ever.

1UP: And when's that due out again?

GB: [Laughs] I think it'll be out when pigs fly. But it's definitely going well now. Things are together; we're in full production. We're basically just pulling all the pieces together and making the game out of it. There's a lot that's finished. All the guns are finished. Most of the creatures are finished. And as I said, we're just basically pulling it all together and trying to make it fun. We've kind of got all these disassociated elements that make up a game, and you put them together and things happen. And then you just tweak it and polish it until it's fun, and that's kind of the phase we're in now, just trying to make something that is really fun to play and interesting.

I was talking to a game dev about this title several months ago, and he said at this point, at best, they can maybe break even assuming its a run away title of the year (once all the dev costs are tallied and subtracted from the gross).

IMO this will be on the top 10 sales for no more then 3 weeks. And thats being kind.

If it's a good game, and the competition isn't ferocious, then anything is possible. I haven't read the links yet, but I don't expect the game to be a throwback, I expect it to be as fresh and groundbreaking as the first Duke, which was a runaway success that originated as shareware!

The problem is most of the generation that remembers this game/series has moved on beyond FPS, and the new generation of kids playing FPS does not remember this title/brand.

Lara.

Star Wars.

Star Trek.

Yep, franchises don't have any marketing momentum. :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

> (Apparently) the game has been finished for months: the devs are just play testing and doing all the clean-up that doesn't seem to be a high priority for a lot of other publishers ... =]"

And what does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

Again, for a game this long in dev the thing will have to make a TON of money just to break even. Nevermind make a profit. You dont think they are still getting paid while Q/A-ing the thing or it runs up costs?

> If it's a good game, and the competition isn't ferocious, then anything is possible.

Of course anything is statistically possible. The point is, is it probabal? I lean towards no. We shall see if I am correct or not.

> Lara.

Star Wars.

Star Trek.

Yep, franchises don't have any marketing momentum. :)

Not quite correct franchise analogies. The ones you mentioned have been consistantly in our face in one form or another since its introduction. Thus the interest, ability to attract new fans does not die off.

This franchies has been mostly inactive for about a decade. totally different situation, hence my comment.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Still have good memories of Duke 3D though. Was the first FPS I played and deathmatches were fun. Doesn't mean I'm gonna buy the game on release day or anything, unless it really is something special.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Heh. I remember this. The only update you'd ever get on it was that it had switched engines. Quake 2, Unreal, blah blah blah...

It could sell well. Remember, DN3D was the first FPS Duke. And there aren't any main characters around as 'ballsy' as Duke.

But I think it'll bomb quietly. Nine years of development... No exaggeration. Meshugger's right. I remember the articles in PC Gamer.

Edited for content.

Edited by thepixiesrock

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

If the game comes out great, if not, then ohwell. Either way im not gonna bitch and moan... anymore atleast :D .

Ahh i remember when i was 14 playing Duke Nukem, giving dolla bills for b**bs sh*ts. :blink: Good times, good times.

The preview trailer looked great, even though its looking a little rustic, What engine is that, the Quake3 engine?

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

'"Duke Nukem Forever" ... and ever and ever.'

'When pigs fly.'

:))

Really, I would have thought that those of you who spend all your effort complaining about unfinished games with too many bugs would actually be pleased with a development company that has precisely the opposite philosophy. :huh:

Or are the gain-sayers just enjoying some (thoroughly hipocritical) spleen-venting? ;)"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

'"Duke Nukem Forever" ... and ever and ever.'

'When pigs fly.'

;))

Dude, I don't read the posts in threads.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.