Star Wars Cantina

Jorian Drake

I actually enjoyed Star Wars: Republican Commando.  I thought it did a great job of showing a grimier side of the Star Wars universe, and it was a pretty easy to understand squad game.  It got tedious towards the end, but I do wish that type of game garnered Battlefront sales.

Try Freedom Fighters!

Very similar interface, third person perspective, better story, more squadmates, etc.

One of the most underappreciated games ever made.

KotOR 1 and KotOR 2 are the best Star Wars games currrently availabe (and will probably be such fpr a long time)

What makes them good is the single player and the stroy development.

Other Star Wars I have played are Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy and Battlefront 1.

The purpose of those games overall is to kill as many enemies as possible, without some very complex story development. This makes for a fun multiplayer experience, mainly because of the fact you are facing a real person and not the games' silly AI.

IMO, they should not make Jedi Knight 4 (Academy was JK3). Now, they could still call it Jedi Knight, but the 4th installment should be a 3rd person, KOTOR-style RPG set in the NJO era and building on the storylines from the Jedi Knight games.

not as a replacement for KOTOR but as an upgrade to the JK subfranchise.

not as a replacement for KOTOR but as an upgrade to the JK subfranchise.

I think that would be sveet. Just make the franchise into an RPG one instead of action-button-mashing-adventure one. It would be good to see the star wars story following episode 6 in an RPG video-game format. or maybe not :wub:

I figured Jedi Academy was ripe for an expansion, especially if they assumed Jaden was evil.

I agree.

Edited by Blank

IMO, they should not make Jedi Knight 4 (Academy was JK3).  Now, they could still call it Jedi Knight, but the 4th installment should be a 3rd person, KOTOR-style RPG set in the NJO era and building on the storylines from the Jedi Knight games.

Yeah, and that would have the advantages of letting down the entire JK fanbase, and be set in the craptastic NJO era. YAY!

Suits LA's recent business strategy.

I figured Jedi Academy was ripe for an expansion, especially if they assumed Jaden was evil.

With the added bonus of assuming that the annoying sidekick with the weird hairdo was met with a gruesome end!

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

They are action packed Jedi games.

Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast is probably my favourite, especially in terms of story.

Jedi Academy probably had the best combat though. Plus you could have a double bladed saber or two sabers if you wanted.

The original (well...Dark Forces 2) is a ton of fun too, but you'd probably find it pretty dated by now.

I enjoyed Academy more than Outcast. I was getting tired of playing Kyle Katarn and I enjoyed the combat a whole lot more. Force power acquisition was a lot better too and the mission based structure was refreshing.

I was disapointed by the voice work though, mostly for male Jaden. He sound like a little human boy and if you made the PC something else beside human he just sounded weird.

Fantastic game *searches for JKJA CDs*.

I enjoyed Academy more than Outcast. I was getting tired of playing Kyle Katarn and I enjoyed the combat a whole lot more. Force power acquisition was a lot better too and the mission based structure was refreshing.

I was disapointed by the voice work though, mostly for male Jaden. He sound like a little human boy and if you made the PC something else beside human he just sounded weird.

Fantastic game *searches for JKJA CDs*.

before there was Revan, there was Jaden, a unisex name for a pregenerated PC.

anyway, maybe they could keep the first person perspective and add some KOTOR-style dialogue and stats. I think that could work.

you really think the JK guys would be upset?  I think most would welcome it.

Making the only online-capable Jedi action game into a KotOR-style single player RPG? I doubt "most would welcome it".

the era is already NJO so I don't see that as a problem.

No, that's not the NJO era. That's the "New Republic Era". The NJO has the New Republic crumbling and the unspeakably lame Vong roaming around and causing trouble and being overall meanies.

Suckage. >_<

Is JK series any good?

Outcast is the best, story-wise. And it's not such a big deal. JKA is probably the best from the action standpoint, but no game in the series is too movie-like when it comes to lightsaber combat. It's more like dancing around the opponents and throwing blows at the air in front of them than actual fencing. It has quite hefty amounts of rolling and jumping, too.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

For all its faults, the JO/JA combat system is like light years ahead of BFII's. And it's impossible to have anything resembling Jedi duels in that game. It's more like "the first to connect wins". The game does feature playable Jedi, but PvP Jedi combat leaves quite a lot to be desired.

Does JK need to evolve? Sure. Just not into a RPG.

for those looking for some 3rd person Jedi action (outside the KOTORs), I would recommend the Obi-Wan game. it is twitchy as all get out and frustrating at times but it is also alot of fun.

it shows how you can have a "real lightsaber" and still have combat be extremely challenging.

and you get to go to Coruscant, Tatooine and Naboo (pretty map) and you get to dual Mace Windu (as part of your trials...it is not a death match or anything).

the game is, however, Xbox exclusive.

What's Battlefront 2's jedi combat really like?

It's like... crappy. Except for vehicles, it's a 1-hit-kill system. That works well for the weaker units around the map, but it kills any semblance of dueling with other players. The parrying system really sucks, too, and the most complex combo you can do is a 3-hit forward one. The Force is limited to push, pull, choke, lightning, and saber throw, but you can't have more than two of those at any given time.

Even the old Jedi Power Battles for the PSOne was awesome compared to this. Well, come think of it, that game was awesome, with the 2 player coop mode and all.

for those looking for some 3rd person Jedi action (outside the KOTORs), I would recommend the Obi-Wan game.  it is twitchy as all get out and frustrating at times but it is also alot of fun.

it shows how you can have a "real lightsaber" and still have combat be extremely challenging.

and you get to go to Coruscant, Tatooine and Naboo (pretty map) and you get to dual Mace Windu (as part of your trials...it is not a death match or anything).

the game is, however, Xbox exclusive.

This has to be the first positive comment I've ever seen about that game. I haven't tried it myself, but I was rather pissed when it was official it would not be out for the PC. Oh well...

Jedi Power Battles was fun!

I have also heard very little good about Obi-Wan. I remember there being some hoopla because part of cancelling the PC version of it was a public memo from Lucasarts stating a recommittment to quality on the PC side.

the Obi-Wan game is good but could have been much better....I don't know, maybe I'm letting the fact that I'm playing one of the stars of the franchise cloud my judgement but it is not too bad.

the lack of good cinematic cutscreens is not really excusable for a console game and the dialogue is flat (none of it user-defined)...the NPCs very flat. some of the cutscreens have so few textures that it looks like concept art.

it is, however, 3rd person (over-the-shoulder, actually) which I generally prefer to first person and you do get to go to some Core Worlds, which is one thing a number of forumites have been thirsting for in the KOTOR games.

where it does shine is in the action....button-mashing just cannot compare to gingerly moving the right analogue stick to control the lightsaber. also, I like the way Throw Lightsaber is handled...you actually get to steer it and, if you don't steer it, you may not hit anything. it also has swimming, which not all Jedi games have.

it also has a really good "Z-axis" with well-implemented "rock climbing" and thief-like cable crawling. and you can commandeer sentry guns, etc.

the bottom line is that, while it may be half a game, it is the half that KOTOR needs.

Bounty hunters are hardly a counter to Jedi tbh. The only thing in the SW universe that could possibly stand up to one would be a Teras Kasi artist.

Try to say that to Boba Fett :D

Bad example. Boba Fett was the best bounty hunter in the galaxy, and a total exception.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Bounty hunters are hardly a counter to Jedi tbh. The only thing in the SW universe that could possibly stand up to one would be a Teras Kasi artist.

Try to say that to Boba Fett :D

Bad example. Boba Fett was the best bounty hunter in the galaxy, and a total exception.

the BH guy from KOTOR 1?

Mara Jade?

HK-47?

Jango Fett?

Mira?

.....Luke Skywalker?

or Leia?

....if you know why I mentioned both Leia and Luke as possible BH-s ,then ya are a real fan of SW ;)

:blink:

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

They are action packed Jedi games.

Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast is probably my favourite, especially in terms of story.

Jedi Academy probably had the best combat though.  Plus you could have a double bladed saber or two sabers if you wanted.

The original (well...Dark Forces 2) is a ton of fun too, but you'd probably find it pretty dated by now.

Sounds good, I know where I can get them dirt cheap.