Why does everyone hate Drizzt?

ramza

Oddly enough, I enjoy reading the adventures of the dwarves of Mithral Hall much more than reading the adventures of Drizzt's Band.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Personally, there's nothing really hateful about Drizzt, and the clones are much less irritating than Legolas clones anyway. I just think that he is a bad character. Salvatore is a fairly entertaining writer, since I don't really expect much depth from the genre to begin with, but Drizzt is really... well, boring.

I love Drizzt (in the books - his 'role' in BG was stupid...). I intensely dislike Salavatore's writing. The two things war within me constantly when trying to decide if I want to pick up his latest Drizzt book.

I think he writes good combat scenes, even if they are long. In fact, since I dislike most of the rest of his 'style', I wish the combat stuff would go on longer. :o

Wulfgar is the one I hate. What a boring loser. Salvatore does best when dealing with his Dark Elf characters..not just Drizzt, either. His father was cool, and so was that rogue leader guy who wanted that..uh....evil knife thing.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yes they should have left him dead, if it were up to me I'd have drizzt and cat have a kid soon and then start killing the rest off as she grows up and Oboulds domain matures into a permanent power in the realms shifting the focus to the child and her relationship to drizzt the surface world including the drow.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

Salavatore is alright but his fight scenes go on and on, into too much detail. It's like listening to a lecture in college.

Actually , me and some of my friends who are in martial arts too love the detailed combat. If you know how to move or use some 'tricks' yourself ,then you can think yourself in the role of the characters. I love to use two weapons,

(yes, that was correct: ME, and not one of my chars)

and I do enjoy the battles of Drizzt .

( one of my friends is for blunt weapons-staff mostly-,and the other one throwing and piercing weapons, my favorite is katana)

Of course, there are some problems in-fight, but I don't think Salvatore is a Master Ninja or what else :D

IB1OsQq.png

I detest "superheroes" of any kind, and since Drizz't falls into that category, being the self-righteous preaching 'paladin wannabe' uber-munchkin muppet he is, I detest him too.

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

Does anyone share my hatred towards Cadderly the priest?

I don't know why it has come to this but most of Salvatore's characters seem antipathic to my eyes. The only exception is Entreri: the perfect anti-hero...

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I have read all of Salvatore's novels

I don't mind Drizzt, but now i hate YOU...

:)

Well, Salvatore's books are the only decent ones when it comes to the d&d genre. Of course they can't beat the dragonlance Chronicles trilogy and Legends trilogy.

I have also read Elaine Cunningham's Starlight & Shadows trilogy but I hated it. The end was rushed and her main character (the female drow Liriel) is perfect... too perfect... even more than Drizzt. She learns new spells just like that, by reading books and she wins way too easily her fights.

I believe this is an american trend in which writers fall in love with their characters and refuse to make them vulnerable in any fashion. Reminds me of hollywood movies :)

I have read all of Salvatore's novels

I don't mind Drizzt, but now i hate YOU...

:thumbsup:

Well, Salvatore's books are the only decent ones when it comes to the d&d genre. Of course they can't beat the dragonlance Chronicles trilogy and Legends trilogy.

I have also read Elaine Cunningham's Starlight & Shadows trilogy but I hated it. The end was rushed and her main character (the female drow Liriel) is perfect... too perfect... even more than Drizzt. She learns new spells just like that, by reading books and she wins way too easily her fights.

I believe this is an american trend in which writers fall in love with their characters and refuse to make them vulnerable in any fashion. Reminds me of hollywood movies :)

You all need to find somewhere translations from John Caldwell's World of Chaos books...nearly all of his main characters dies in a way in a book after that one witch the char was in :lol:

:geek:

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

2 reasons for hating drizzle...

1) drizzle is superman

the drow ranger is a superhero with superhero powers. super speed and balance and super skill, and he is wise and a shining beacon of goodness in spite of having been shown so little goodness in his life. ack. sew a big gawdy "D" on the front of his tunic/shirt and take the hood of his cape and you could drop him into any comic book.

2) drizzle exploits losers

drizzle has so much beauty inside, but he is misunderstood by most of the world. the beautiful misunderstood loner crap is so damned insulting... and so damned effective. all the geeks and nerdlings who reads escapist fantasy to avoid their own inability to successfully enjoy mainstream society is given a hero they can easily identify with.

bah.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 reasons for hating drizzle...

1) drizzle is superman

the drow ranger is a superhero with superhero powers.  super speed and balance and super skill, and he is wise and a shining beacon of goodness in spite of having been shown so little goodness in his life. ack.  sew a big gawdy "D" on the front of his tunic/shirt and take the hood of his cape and you could drop him into any comic book.

2) drizzle exploits losers

drizzle has so much beauty inside, but he is misunderstood by most of the world.  the beautiful misunderstood loner crap is so damned insulting... and so damned effective.  all the geeks and nerdlings who reads escapist fantasy to avoid their own inability to successfully enjoy mainstream society is given a hero they can easily identify with. 

bah.

HA! Good Fun!

actually i think none..well mostly no people have the problem what you wrote now, I don't have it, and the 5-6 other people I know ho likes Drizzt don't have them too.

And the world need heroes

PS: many people don't like Superman/Spiderman or the others, and I don't care about it, so why do you care about Drizzt if you don't like him? Why do you read the books he's in? :thumbsup:

IB1OsQq.png

I began reading Drizzt's adventures with the Dark Elf Trilogy, which I loved. The most interesting fact was that Drizzt was almost alone (his only friends were a deep gnome and a clacker) and was making his way to the surface in a very heroic fashion. I also liked very much the part in which he gets to the surface and gets to fight his way till he finds a peaceful place for him to live.

Then, the icewind dale trilogy shattered the good image I had of Drizzt. Salvatore had made him too perfect, too cliche...

I continued reading the other novels with the hope it would get better, but I was mostly disappointed. I only liked the parts where Drizzt goes back to the Underdark, where Mithral Hall is attacked by drows and where Entreri and Jarlaxle collaborate.

The last trilogy (the twin swords) was ok. I have come to like the dwarves of mithral hall and I find them more interesting than Drizzt (they die at least).

Anyway, Salvatore has the merit of making good descriptions of fights and of big battles. That may the last reason I am reading his books. Too bad, there are no better FR novels out there...

Haven't read those since they weren't written by Salvatore himself...

LOL!

one thing I know for sure is that some of the authors taking part in that project are crappy with a big C. One of them wrote the BG novels (based on the games) which are considered to be the worst books ever written in the history of litterature.