Icewind Dale 2

Dark_Raven

You're...what, 33? I wouldn't call that old.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think you need to find a happy medium between the two extremes.  :)  Balance and moderation in all things.

sounds like he weren't particularly happy trying to find that medium. if josh don't want to write, and he not have to write to stay involved in game development, then we not see any reason why he should keep banging head 'gainst wall trying to write stuff that you or Gromnir will like. josh has been in game development for a long time now, and he has developed his craft to a point where he enjoys a certain 'mount of recognition and respect from peers and fans. he understands his current limitations and he has, with eyes wide open, decided that his writing (whether good or bad,) is not popular. is not a knee-jerk reaction. is not like he ain't tried to write in past games. we can respect the choice of josh precisely 'cause it has taken him some time to come to the realization that he don't wanna write... which ain't the same as saying he cannot write.

btw, this is josh we is talking

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Thanks. It's interesting, because I wrote a short piece of historical fiction in the form of an apocryphal letter about a year ago. It was more expressive than most of my game dialogue, and I think I found a comfortable place from which I could write because I based the writing style in something historically formal and... crisply expressive, I guess. It's still not the sort of dialogue that people seem to like in games, though.

Overall, I think I should say that I'd like to write for games, but I'd rather do it on my own time and my own virtual dime, so to speak. I don't really want to express myself in ways that I find revolting, and it makes no sense to force a style upon a group of people that typically likes that which I fight against.

1) Gromnir has an adversarial posting style

2) josh thinks that Gromnir is full of hokum

put these two factors together and we suspect that any constructive criticism we might have to offer would be falling on understandably deaf ears.

y'know, most of the folks who read josh's item descriptions liked 'em... all 12 of us. attention to detail and somewhat staid style is not crippling josh as a potential writer... just gotta find the right characters and situations to make use of his particular style. get a martin luther character into a game and we thinks josh could write him up wonderfully... or maybe has a series of short essays incorporated into game (is any number of reasons for doing so,) and we thinks that josh would do a bang up job. if Gromnir were in charge of writing for obsidian, we would find some way to make use of josh

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Why?  Once you get to 20th level you are pretty much a god.  What would be the point of continually playing?

Roleplaying taking over the world's just beginning!

Plus, the constant swatting down of hero wannabes.

You: What now...

Hero: Enough talk, you shall pay for your evil!

You: *sigh*

Spreading beauty with my katana.

I've never really played ID2, or any ID for that matter, I've only read the books (yeah, I know...geek alert!) Anyways, is it worth a buy? I'm considering getting it for, well, myself.

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

I've never really played ID2, or any ID for that matter, I've only read the books (yeah, I know...geek alert!) Anyways, is it worth a buy? I'm considering getting it for, well, myself.

What books? The ones with Drizzt in it? That story doesn't have anything to do with the game (in case you were hoping it did).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)