The Witcher

Dagon

Yah. it flu rite ovr mah hed.

I r stooped.

U r smrt.

He didn't go "out of his way" - its called disproving.  You made a claim, he disproved it.

ya rly

Hey, honestly with ones self is important. I respect that you are coming to terms with it.

:wacko:

However on a (somewhat) serious note and getting the thread back on track, I realize, D did infact pose a reasonable inquiry. Why dont I feel witcher will not do well and why do I have this perceived bias with nwn2.

Well its quite simple, I do not know of any AAA titles this dev house has done. In fact I never heard of them before. Certainly they might have done something, but if this indeed is there first title I personally think its more then they can chew. Their lack of experience will sink the title to little more then average, at best IMO.

I think people are focusing on the eye candy too much for this title. As we all know eye candy <> game play.

With the background of those involved with nwn2 I am quite confidant nwn2 has a much larger chance of being successful then the witcher. Thus my reasons for my less then optimistic view of the finial witcher product.

I certainly dont wish them ill will, but I frankly dont think they have the skill or backgroud to deliver anything more then a midrange game.

Possibly, but neither BIS or BIO had AAA experience before they made Fallout and BG respectively.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Yah. it flu rite ovr mah hed.

I r stooped.

U r smrt.

He didn't go "out of his way" - its called disproving.  You made a claim, he disproved it.

ya rly

Hey, honestly with ones self is important. I respect that you are coming to terms with it.

However on a (somewhat) serious note and getting the thread back on track, I realize, D did infact pose a reasonable inquiry. Why dont I feel witcher will not do well and why do I have this perceived bias with nwn2.

Well its quite simple, I do not know of any AAA titles this dev house has done. In fact I never heard of them before. Certainly they might have done something, but if this indeed is there first title I personally think its more then they can chew. Their lack of experience will sink the title to little more then average, at best IMO.

I think people are focusing on the eye candy too much for this title. As we all know eye candy <> game play.

With the background of those involved with nwn2 I am quite confidant nwn2 has a much larger chance of being successful then the witcher. Thus my reasons for my less then optimistic view of the finial witcher product.

I certainly dont wish them ill will, but I frankly dont think they have the skill or backgroud to deliver anything more then a midrange game.

Possibly, but neither BIS or BIO had AAA experience before they made Fallout and BG respectively.

Adding on to that, I believe the Witcher devs were the ones who localized the BGs and Fallouts in many parts of Europe.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Not to shift gears here too much, Volo and a few others mentioned the Witcher as a competitor to NWN2. Has CD Projekt floated a release date? I have not heard of one and their site makes no mention. NWN2 we already know about when we'll get it. If the Witcher comes out six months later it's not really a competitor (at least not for the OC, but an expansion pack... heres hoping). As for the Witcher, I'll buy it. What the heck I'm a man of few vices so what's another $40 US. If it sucks, it will not be the first bad game I ever tried. Thats why we have ebay.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Can't we all get all just get along?

Of course, I wans't Mr. Nice to Rhomal earlier in the thread; but still.... geez.. this should be a dead issue.

Rhomal is in love with Obsidian and NWN2. Any game that is even semi competition with them is the enemy that must be crushed.

"I think you have an incomplete sentence in there. What about no matter how good NWN2 is..."

Sloppy grammar and phrasing asdide, I meant to say that no matter how good NWN2 is it's 'just' a sequel to a BIO game. And, since Rhomal hates BIO with a passion that irks him to no end.

"have yet to write a half decent story since BG2"

False. Even the OC is more than a 'half decent' story. SOU is borderline though.

"certainly dont wish them ill will, but I frankly dont think they have the skill or backgroud to deliver anything more then a midrange game."

As Arkan points out, all companies gotta start somewhere? BIO wasn't always a jauggernaut. Heck, their first game sold about 300k copies and at that time it was considered a good success for them. Heck, JE had sold 600k+ copies in about 6 months and a few silly goofs try to claim it a s failure. Obsidian is only known because of some loose ties they have with a dead company (yes, folks, outside of Obsidian's founders the number of ex BISers working for Obsidian isn';t that big of a percentage and it'll get smaller the bigger they grow).

"Not to shift gears here too much, Volo and a few others mentioned the Witcher as a competitor to NWN2"

I don't think they're competitors in the traditional sense; but since they both use upgraded Aurora engines; they'll be comapred in that way.

P.S. I don't hate Rhomal; but there's no doubt he has a huge bias towards Obsidian. Nothing really wrong with that except he simply won't admit it.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Neverwinter Nights 2 and The Witcher - both of these games in my opinion are going to be the great experience ,.Even if NWN 2 will be better (And I think it will), and the witcher just good I will play them with fun .

And yes as i know CdProjekt localised Fallouts, Torment and IWD for some countries in europe.

Edited by Dagon

Beating me over the head with a long dead issue and spending all that time searching and pasting and such. Yea... theres certainly no deeper agenda on his part. It seems spiteful and as if hes going out of his way to do so.

I think that that is a cop-out. I do stuff like this as well if I think people are making misinformed statements.

Given boards have a search feature to speed this up, it doesn't usually take that much anyways.

To be quite frank, as someone that didn't initially see it on the Bioware boards, I'm glad he went through the trouble.

As to developers making AAA titles....god I hate comments like this. Whether it be that cherished "experience" in the workfield, or with stuff like this. Newsflash....the AAA developers weren't born into this world with a reputation of making AAA games either.

Edited by alanschu

Guys kinda missing my point.

I am not saying they wont EVER beable to pull off a great AAA game. I am sure this game in of itself if they can stay afloat after it will certainly help them move forward, and perhaps do so in the future.

However as of now I see nothing on their resume or in the couple witcher previews I read that make me think 'wow this is going to be up there or even close with fallout or bg2'

I may VERY well be wrong and eat crow. OTOH I may be back here in 12 months smugly saying 'I told you so' :wacko: But either way currently I can only go with what my gut tells me and thats what it is. Cant help if it does not agree with your opinions of their ability.

As for bioware poor stories recently, I should have said core game stories, not expansions. V is correct the expansion stories got better the more they released in fairness to them.

I have no need to 'put down' the witcher under false pretense. I simply am not impressed with it thus far. I dont know why I have to be oozing with some massive bias or agenda because I am not giggling like a schoolgirl over this. heh. There are many games past and present I dont like, I suppose my like of the direction nwn2 is going has something to do with that as well?

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

It was ancient history but you raised it yourself and I had a different memory of how it played out, so I decided to say so.

Why bother? Simply because I thought your post was BS and I'm pretty sure you know that. I think you're smart enough not to "goof" multiple times with those posts about the Witcher and I don't think you misremembered what happened - just represented it differently to make the Witcher dev look bad.

And you've done it again. Your comments were all about the graphics - the technical aspects - ("I am personally unimpressed, technically, with the Witcher") but now you've switched over to they don't have enough experience to make a AAA game. So if everyone else is concentrating too much on the graphics of the Witcher, why enter every thread about it on the Bio boards and argue about the graphics? I think you know why.

Reading Rhomal's replies is kind of like watching the Black Knight get his arms and legs chopped off in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

"Look, you stupid Bastard. You've got no arms left."

"Yes I have."

"Look!"

"It's just a flesh wound."

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The AAA comment was directed more at Arkan.

But rarely are games such as BG or Fallout seen as AAA titles before anyone plays them.

That's why I can't stand it when people criticize companies because they are new and don't have a history of AAA titles.

But rarely are games such as BG or Fallout seen as AAA titles before anyone plays them.

That's why I can't stand it when people criticize companies because they are new and don't have a history of AAA titles.

yes i agree with you, more good game companies, the more new good games :)

I'm always skeptical of games that never seem to have a definite release date.

I'm always skeptical of games that I hear about and then two to three years later it still hasn't been released.

Which is what the Witcher will become in about a year's time if it still hasn't been released. :sorcerer:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Why was it directed at me?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

You mean like NWN2 or Dragon Age or even Oblivion? NWN2 doesn't even have a website. :blink:

The release date for NWN2 (as far as I know) hasn't been switched. It's always been targeted for Q2 2006. I've followed the Witcher and it seems that it's still unknown which Q for 2006 it will be released.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

You mean like NWN2 or Dragon Age or even Oblivion? NWN2 doesn't even have a website. :blink:

NWN2 has had less than a year and a half of Dev time. Since the graphics component has been totally redesigned a 2 yr cycle (which is what it will be in the Juneish release timeframe) is not that long for a game of this size and scope. If the release date needs to be rolled back, I hope they feel they can do so to give this game the due dilligence it deserves. God knows we do NOT want another KOTOR2. A bad sequel can end a franchise. Case in point: Master of Orion 3.

With Dragon Age, Bioware has made no bones about this being a distant future project. With the creation of a new game engine it is a project in the second year of what will surely be a 3+ year cycle. I would imagine the bulk of their resources (the art and graphics design folks, DA has its own programming team) are dedicated to Mass Effect and the other secret project which everyone thinks is JE2.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think the NWN2 game engine and development toolset has been in the creaton stages much longer than 18 months. That's a total opinion, but my impression has not been that this is a rushed project. Very little was known about NWN before it was released either.

I think the NWN2 game engine and development toolset has been in the creaton stages much longer than 18 months.  That's a total opinion, but my impression has not been that this is a rushed project.  Very little was known about NWN before it was released either.

No this was anwered by Ferret over on the NWN2 boards. Development began in July-August of 2004. I believe the game was announced in December 04. The game uses the same Aurora engine and toolset as NWN with the exception being the graphics component. It has been totally redesigned.

Thomas Sowell