Well my intrest in NWN2 just tripled =)

Darque

I'm curious to see how well it works with NWN2, as in theory the scripting is fully backward compatible with the version of NWScript that exists in the original game.  Depending on when it comes out, I wonder if a job on my plate is to port it to NWN2 :D

Keep in mind they have stated nwn1 scripts must go though a "import process" via the toolset. That implies to me:

a. some functions, formatting has changed and the import process converts the scripts

b. nwn2 scripts will not work with nwn1

c. functions bioware adds to nwscript1 after they lock the function list of nwscript2 will make those scripts incompatiable as the import tool wont know how to handle, convert those functions.

Note: none of the above points are confirmed, just my educated guesses, I certainly may be off base.

FYI ;)

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

After much reading and trial and error I can make npc mods with dialogues, scripts and other sorts of things.

I tried tinkering with modding BG1 at the time. I remember creating a character (Zelthan Greywulf, lolz) and making custom skills for him, similar to those Bhallspawn get. One of them, if I recall correctly, was called Entomb and it was supposed to remove the flesh of the targetted character if he failed his save. Plus, he would also become panicked (with a nice scream in a sound file to go along with it).

He also had something like a custom-made vampiric sword which would actually add a permanent +1 to his HPs on a successful hit. Ha ha, munchkin 4 life!

Edited by Role-Player

I better, or there'll be heck to pay.

In any case, it lies in the community to innovate storytelling and roleplaying, since it doesn't look like the industry is going to do anything about it anytime soon.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Before I do any sort of module making I need to get the script language down. There are certain things I want to have happen in the module. Such as if you die have no respawning and few others...

Death and Dying in my Module: You start dying 0 - your Constitution Modifier (no higher than -1) and at that point you are dying. The numbers 0 to that point you are unconscious with a 10% chance of regaining consciousness then going to 1 HP. While dying you need to make a DC 20 Fortitude Save to stabilize. If you take damage exceeding your Constitution score in a singe hit you need to make a Fortitude Save (DC being 5 + damage done) or immediately droping to dying. Death occurs at 0 - Constitution Score.

Also if there are NPCs in your party that have potions, spells, medkits, and the such to heal you or raise you from the dead they will use them or take them off your corpse and use them on you. It makes no sense to have rods of ressurection in your inventory then die and your buddy couldn' use it to bring you back to life.

This was probably stated in the FAQ that's been posted, but last time I looked I believe it wasn't in stone yet, but what are the system specs supposed to be for NWN2?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

You know, there are lots of premade scripts on NWvault. You can check some predone death or AI scripts there and learn how they're done, then adapt from there. Hemophiliacs Always Bleed To Death is a favorite a mine (dying from -1 to -10, with chance of stabilizing, allies can use bandages to stabilize, etc).

The bioforums have been a VERY VERY helpful tool back when I was learning the ropes of scripting. Search is your friend there. Chances are, if you're wondering something, someone already asked it, or something similar.

Also, http://www.nwnlexicon.com for details on all script commands. Excellent resource.

And, as I mentioned, LilacSoul's Script Generator is pure gold.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

This was probably stated in the FAQ that's been posted, but last time I looked I believe it wasn't in stone yet, but what are the system specs supposed to be for NWN2?

Jason Keeney: I dont really know a thing about the 8500... what its capabilities are, if its dx9 compatible, etc, etc... But I do know that Doom 3 uses OpenGL for its graphics, and therefore, while the 8500 may not be Dx9 compatible (from a Direct3D point of view), it *may* be OpenGL 1.3 compatible and perfectly happy to run Doom 3.

However in our case we are acutally using the Direct3D component of DX9 and I'd have to say that the chances of getting NWN2 to run on non-DX9 compliant video card pretty much zero.

[update Mar 2005] Feargus Urquhart: Some of the stuff is still up in the air, but we are pretty sure that it's going to be a 128MB video card.

[update Oct 2005] Brian D. Lawson: To answer both questions here at once (unofficially of course):

1) The minimum estitamed memory to get the full eye candy will likely be 256 meg. However, that's going to require a rather potent chipset as well (i.e. 7800/R520 type of chip).

2) The minimum estimated spec to run the game outright will likely be a 128 meg shader model 2.0 card. But as we all know, there are plenty of those out there in the NVidia FX5xxx series of cards (mainly 128 meg versions) that are miserably slow in terms of their shader performance.

If you happen to have one of those and still want to play with decent performance, you can always run with the vertex lighting option turned on.

Hope that helps.

My question is this:

Are those specs going to be accurate, or will it be a "VtMB" thing where even having the recommended specs will still produce subpar results.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Are we still going to form the Obsidian NWN 2 league (or guild)? There seemed to be an interest for it a few threads back and I for one would be more than happy to cook something up with my fellow boarders. That is, if folks are still interested. Campaign co-op, persistant worlds, modding, anything really.

Edit: I meant playing multi, if it didn't come across.  :">

I'd be happy to host such if you need forums, article/wiki space, email addresses or what not :)

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Are we still going to form the Obsidian NWN 2 league (or guild)? There seemed to be an interest for it a few threads back and I for one would be more than happy to cook something up with my fellow boarders. That is, if folks are still interested. Campaign co-op, persistant worlds, modding, anything really.

Edit: I meant playing multi, if it didn't come across.  :">

I'd still be up for that, if you don't mind me being the bumbling fool who probably chooses the wrong course of action everytime we're besieged by enemies. :)