Oblivion: PC Gamer Praises in Preview

~Di

If Oblivion can just be a slightly more interesting MW that will be good enough. Based on what I've read and heard ther are enough changes and improvements to make Oblivion considerably more than slightly more interesting.

My biggest concerns are bugs. EVen fully patched MW contains more bugs than most games, and only the fan patches that have taken a loing time to create have finally squashed most of them.

My second biggest concern is the beast of a PC that will be required to run it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it, bt I won't be rushing out the door the day it is released.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

So yes, I'll confess that unexpected actions such as those listed do kinda make my RPG juices flow!  IF... and it's a big if... such descriptions are accurate and routine within the scope of the game.

And if the NPC doesn't decide to kill someone vital to the main quest but you don't find out about it until four hours later because you were in the next house when it happened. Radiant AI worries me.

Aside from that, I'm still pretty optimistic about Oblivion. Bethesda seemed to recognise they had to make improvements over Morrowind's storyline and characters, rather than pretending they were good as they were. If Oblivion shows significant improvements in these areas, I will love this game.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Hehe, according to the article NPC's vital to the main quest CANNOT be killed... by anyone. :p

Yeah, at this point the entire game just sounds too danged good to be true, but I can't keep myself from being excited about it. I am a bit worried about whether my aging PC will be able to handle the tech, though. Time will tell.

Did they ever hire a decent writer? That's pretty much all i care about at the moment.

Morrowind was a decent game in it's own right , but the writing was so excruciatingly horrid i still have nightmares about it.

Also, it was one of the most sterile games i ever played.

If they fix those issues i might be interested, it's not like there are a lot of alternatives anyway. The future of RPGs it's utterly grim at the moment...

Did they ever hire a decent writer? That's pretty much all i care about at the moment.

Morrowind was a decent game in it's own right , but the writing was so excruciatingly horrid i still have nightmares about it.

Also, it was one of the most sterile games i ever played.

If they fix those issues i might be interested, it's not like there are a lot of alternatives anyway. The future of RPGs it's utterly grim at the moment...

I've read the story (actual story!) will be a bit more "tighter."

I'm guess it won't be as big (and empty) as Morrowind, but will have something better to follow.

The Radiant AI stuff sounds impressive, but I'm still not a big fan of Morrowind's Wikipedia-style 'dialogue' system which is apparently getting reused in Oblivion.

We then visited a town, which seemed a little quiet -- not the bustling center of trade we were hoping to see, but the citizens we managed to talk to were quite animated. Each character in Oblivion has a voice and lip-syncing, the idea being to enhance the immersiveness of each encounter; but conversation trees progress, unlike in games like Knights of the Old Republic, without your answer. In each conversation you have a list of topics from which to choose, but your replies and questions aren't written out. This is a design choice held over from Morrowind.

Also, after reading a bunch of those RPGCodex rants I got the idea that the gameplay mechanics are going to be simplified when compared to Morrowind. Just to name a few of my irks: less skills overall, a huge quest pointing compass, no levitation, no mark and recall, no spears or crossbows oh and, apparently, axes are now blunt weapons. :( Nonetheless, Oblivion might still be fun despite such little irritations, but I'd rather choose Gothic 3 for my non-linear RPG fix.

conversation trees progress, unlike in games like Knights of the Old Republic, without your answer. In each conversation you have a list of topics from which to choose, but your replies and questions aren't written out. This is a design choice held over from Morrowind.

And very effectively ELIMINATING actual roleplaying right there. I knew it! :huh:

I HATE BETHESDA!!!! :angry:

Explanation: Roleplaying on the computer depends on giving the player the opportunity to express his character through dialouge options. The player must be able to be friendly, rude, arrogant, humorous etc. through choosing dialouge options. If you replace real lines like

"Yes, sweet beautiful Ravel. I came back for you, my love"

with keywords

"Ask about: magic weapons"

or simple yes/no options. Youre not playing anyone else but yourself, sitting at the computer, playing a game. Youre not roleplaying anymore than if youre playing Super Mario Bros. for the NES

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'll give Bethesda a chance with Oblivion. I won't give them the chance to the sacred Fallout series though. That baby belongs here with it's family.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Yes, yes, let's hate Oblivion and hate Bethesda for making it even before the game goes gold. Why should we actually play something before casting aspersions when we can actually skip the middle man, save all that money, and trash the game before it's released! w00t!

I sure wouldn't let "RPGCodex rants" make my game-buying decisions, but y'all can do what you wish. I plan to watch forums after the game's release, see if there are more than average tech problems, see what the consensus of players... players , not mean-spirited bad-mouthers... think of the game, then make my decision. I'm hoping it comes out like the PC Gamer preview indicates, because that is exactly the kind of game I would love.

I also love the Gothic series and will be buying Gothic III no matter what.

BTW, since Obsidian forum rules forbid trashing other game developers, please stop doing so. You'll get my poor little thread deleted. :(

Why should we actually play something before casting aspersions when we can actually skip the middle man, save all that money, and trash the game before it's released!

Did you just answer your own question?

Personally I love Oblivian because Morrowind was grrrrreat. Go go real roleplaying! Go go real diologue! Go go non-boring quests! Go go actual NPCs!

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I also love the Gothic series and will be buying Gothic III no matter what. 

BTW, since Obsidian forum rules forbid trashing other game developers, please stop doing so.  You'll get my poor little thread deleted. :(

Hear, hear!

Agreed.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds