About to start Blood Lines

Lyric Suite

I tend to install the unofficial patch out of habit, because I first played before there was an official patch and you needed the unofficial one just to complete the game. The latest versions of the unofficial patch do make a few changes that are about making the game logical and consistent in the patch-maker's eyes, but mostly it seems to be about fixing bugs and problems that are very rare or that you might not even notice. On balance, I would probably still download and install it, even for a first time game.

I really must play again. >_<

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

My game was noticeably less stable and more buggy the one time I tried it with the unofficial patch. As Hell Kitty says it really just changes the game as the patch maker saw fit; it doesn't make it better. I prefer the game with just the 1.2 official.

YMMV.

edit: added "more"

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Make sure you have the latest video and sound card drivers. It will make it a happy game if you do.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Make sure you have the latest video and sound card drivers. It will make it a happy game if you do.

I updated to the latest video drivers and the game ran much worse. Happily XP is easy to roll back so I just went back to the old drivers. GOtta love the science of programming, no?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

You should visit here to get some ideas on helping the game perform pretty decent.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

I updated to the latest video drivers and the game ran much worse. Happily XP is easy to roll back so I just went back to the old drivers. GOtta love the science of programming, no?

Technology is a wonderful thing. You install new updated stuff and the computer, game or whatever has a stroke over it. Wonderful thing about WinXP and rolling back the drivers.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

The weird thing about those driver issues you mention above is that they've only affected me while I was using Nvidia. I once had to rollback to 30.xx just to get my computer working again! Same thing happened to one of my friends when I installed his new GPU. After that I switched to ATI and the only problem I've had after that is that shadows in Battlefield 2 look.. odd.

I'll switch to Nvidia again when I upgrade my computer the next time (the 7800 series is awesome) so let's hope they've solved their driver problems.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well, i can run F.E.A.R. with perfect framerate so i doubt this game will pose any problem. Didn't know there was an official patch, i though Troika went belly up before getting the chance to fix the game.

Very well then, i think i'll just go with the 1.2 on my first run...

FEAR is a good computer benchmarker, but Bloodlines has some very...interesting coding in it.

For memory, you can experiance annying performance issues with anything less than 1gig of Ram, but as soon as you get up to one gig the game starts to work perfectly (just in terms of performance).

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

FEAR is a good computer benchmarker, but Bloodlines has some very...interesting coding in it.

For memory, you can experiance annying performance issues with anything less than 1gig of Ram, but as soon as you get up to one gig the game starts to work perfectly (just in terms of performance).

Damnit, I need to get my computer up and running so I can play this game properly....

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Damnit, I need to get my computer up and running so I can play this game properly....

Still no joy on your new build?

Is this game actually worth playing by the way? I have seen very mixed reviews and opinions.

Ignoring the game glithes and preformance issue, is the core gameplay/quests/story/characters somthing even remotely worth looking into?

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Some Tips:

Make sure you force AA (x6) in your cards control panel. This game runs better on higher end systems when the settings are maxed out.

Also, make a batch file so that the game starts in low priority mode. It was much more stable for me running in low priority.

Some Tips:

Also, make a batch file so that the game starts in low priority mode.  It was much more stable for me running in low priority.

How do you do that?

Create a text file.

Type in: start /low vampire.exe -console

Save the file as Vampire.bat, then stick it in the same place as your Vampire.exe and boot up with that. :)