AI Henchmen or a Controllable Party?

I prefer AI henchmen ala FO, SOU, and HOTU the most.

AI Expert Hirelings are ok to a limited degree though it shouldn't be every character like the OC.

Controllable parties are good in tatical games; not REAL role-playing games though they don't neccessarily hurt the fun factor either way.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

From a gameplay perspective, controlled - it simply adds that element of squad combat that I enjoy.

From an immersive perspective, still controlled - AI break the immersion more often than not by running into walls and doing stupid things. Until that can be fixed, controlled all the way.

There are doors

Definitely controlled. I could care less how 'immersive' playing along with stupid AI is.

Ironically, this only applies to RPGs. In a squad-based FPS (Call of Duty comes to mind), having AI-controlled allies backing me up really helped with getting into the game.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I prefer controlled, although I would be happy to have AI controlled henchmen with better AI. It's just a matter of getting used to AI controlled henchmen.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

NWNs2 will have a Balder's Gate-style party in which you can actually switch to controlling your supporting characters.

Where did you read it exactly? Last time I checked they said it will have NWN1 style companions but just with greater degree of control, not controllable like BG2.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=articles.detail&id=14

"NWN2 will now have companions instead of henchmen and Ferret was particular in mentioning that the word "Henchmen" isn't something used anymore. Players will be able to control up to three of them, out of a pool of ten choices. So if you include the main character you play, that creates a party of four, thus making up the quintessential D&D party of fighter, magic user, cleric and thief, if you so chose. What's really cool is that you will be able to control them much like Baldur's Gate, where you can switch between them to assign commands into their queue, which will execute while you go to the other characters. This was another area which received a lot of complaints when NWN first came out, so I'm sure a lot of people will be happy. As you plan out your strategy and switch between companions, the viewing angle will remain the same, as this is the most preferred method to avoid from getting disorientated. They also mentioned that you will be able to control the leveling up process for the characters, though how much is still unknown at this point."

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I was reading in a NWNs2 review that, while NWNs has AI-controlled henchmen, NWNs2 will have a Balder's Gate-style party in which you can actually switch to controlling your supporting characters.

so, what is your preference?

BG-style

No AI will do as well as I can. <_<

The best combat of any fantasy CRPG was undoubtedly ToEE and that allowed complete contrl of the entire party, in fact its essential to be able to control the entire party if youre goin to have combat more advanced than clickclickclick your enemy to death

I don't like controlling the whole party. It hurts role playing.

Combat hasnt got anything to do with roleplaying. But I assume youre talking about the IWD and ToEE setup where you create and control the entire party and thus eliminating all character interaction within the party.

Definitely controlled. I could care less how 'immersive' playing along with stupid AI is.

Ironically, this only applies to RPGs. In a squad-based FPS (Call of Duty comes to mind), having AI-controlled allies backing me up really helped with getting into the game.

Haha, Id like to see someone play more than one character in an FPS and keeping them all alive... a lot of tactical FPS like R6 lets you swicth etween squad members but imagine trying to do that in a fast-paced action FPS

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The best combat of any fantasy CRPG was undoubtedly ToEE and that allowed complete contrl of the entire party, in fact its essential to be able to control the entire party if youre goin to have combat more advanced than clickclickclick your enemy to death

Arcanum was as good or better if you switched it to turn-based. ToEE offered so many options it felt too cumbersome and slow to me. However, I prefer the Kotor 2 approach - pretty to look at, and not requiring too much input from me.

I still feel in answer to this (and many other) questions that we live in an age of customisation and I don't see any reason why the gamer shouldn't choose between controllable and non-controllable NPCs to suit her own taste. If the designer has an interesting and innovative approach, that's fine, but if it's simply a choice between two well-known models, that choice should be ours.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

"Combat hasnt got anything to do with roleplaying"

Yes, it does. Unless you only treat combat like its some tatical squad based game it very much has to do with role-playing.

Or, better yet, in an ideal CRPG it sure can. Khalid not being the bravest of warriors is a good example of role-playing in combat.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't like controlling the whole party. It hurts role playing.

Combat hasnt got anything to do with roleplaying. But I assume youre talking about the IWD and ToEE setup where you create and control the entire party and thus eliminating all character interaction within the party.

I think combat is a part of Role Playing. I don't like to give "exact" orders to my other party members. I don't like to move them to where ever i want. I want to give them general orders(stay close to me, use healing spells etc..) like in Fallout.

I also don't like to change stats of other party memebers. I always like to pay attention only to my character not the others.

centinexx.png