Believe

Gabrielle

Actually I minored in religious studies. I have studied Judaism, Christianity (both Protestant and Catholism), Islam, Hinduism, and Bhuddism. The only religion that I have a healthy respect for is Bhuddism but the closest to what I personally practice is Islam. Go figure. :-

Man created God, Man became God, God destroyed Man.

God created Man, Man destroyed God, Man destroyed Man. 

o:)

You forgot the last one: God laughed at Man.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

To assume is arrogance. The point about assumption is that you take somthing as fact based on what you think, know, or feel, without having *absolute* proof.

But yeah, fundimentals aside, like I said, 'to theorise' as in 'to not consider fact' is cirtainly not arrogance in the way I describe.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Aha! But when you theorise, you have to assume.

It's the differance between 'I assume I actually exist in a physical universe' and 'I belive (assume) that my god is the only god and the one true god, that my god made the universe as it is and myself in his image'.

One is 'common sense' for the subject matter. Can you guess which?!

Hadescopy.jpg

Of course it is, to say anything else is foolish.

My one arrogance then, is to refuse to give any form to any throught that has any relation to the notion of somthing to which our phyisical existance comes into question, as it is a line of thought I have always refused to persue. Any stoned out hippy can think 'what if like, man, i'm just a reflection of a puddlefish in the dream of a roll of toilet paper'.

The assuptions 'I am human' and 'I think, therefore I am' IS arrogance. But they are the only ones needed.

Of course, to use the word 'any' is arrogance too :D

How is assumption arrogance? It is not arrogance as long as you don't consider it a fact. We wouldn't have known anything if we don't assume some fundamental things.

erm...but yeah, we're saying the same things, I just wasn't clear on what I meant by 'assume'.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

Yeah, what he said, it takes it further than I really like to take it, but the fact is that being sure of ANYTHING is arrogance because you could just be a brain in a pot and you don't KNOW it.

More importantly to this thread, I belive that making broad statements in reguards to the exact and individualistic nature of a divine being is one of the worst kinds of arrogance when that same person refuses to accept even the possibility of any other 'truth'. Of course, some people don't have much of a choise on what they belive on the surface.

Hadescopy.jpg

god (gd)

n.

1. God

a. A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.

b. The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being.

2. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality.

3. An image of a supernatural being; an idol.

4. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god.

5. A very handsome man.

6. A powerful ruler or despot.

That really depends on what you define as 'god'. Again, arrogance, meh.

It goes both ways Nicki, i could say, "you are arrogant for assuming people are arrogant for a certain reason". because what if you are wrong about your belief? :p

Athiest's have just as much faith in their belief as people who believe in a gad have. As far as I have seen, it can not be proven.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.