Believe

Gabrielle

Theres no God because bad stuff happens. Of all the considerations for there not being a god this has to be the most silly. It seems that most who really "hate" the idea of there being a god are those most unappreciate of their position.

Really? I have to disagree.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Wow, and I thought I was cynical.

Hence my self appointed title.

Self appointed.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

First of all, Laozi you creeped me out, didn't you already ask that or something?

But well earned.

It isn't really earned if you are the one who appoints it to yourself...

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Not important. Disregard.

Arkan is right about that.  Thing is most people can't just accept things happen for totally random reasons.  There has to be some power at work for why things happen the way they do.  Some people just can't handle the truth that this is a totally random and uncaring universe and always look for something to explain the unexplainable.

On a related note, I think some guy in Africa just survived a terrible accident after an iron pole pierced his body but missed vital organs by millimeters. It has been officially declared a miracle by the Church I heard. What b.s.! Every lotto win should be declared a miracle then.

Edited by julianw

No, there isn't.

There is no reason for anything. Tragedies and victories happen either by accident or by human hands. There is no reason beyond that. There is no plan. Why must there be a reason for those miners to die and that one man still alive? It was a tragic accident. Nothing more. Human existance is an accident. One in a trillion odds. Why must there be a reason why things happen?

• 5 weeks later...
Well, no matter what anyone says I'll always believe in God.

Ah, but which one? :p ?

I read an interesting article that Metadigital pasted once ... Monkeysphere Link

Actually I was introduced to the link on this forum (Jags / Nartwak / apologies if I have mistakenly omitted your name here, whomever it was ... )

Here's a good question for everyone that had me stumped for awhile:

What is conscious living?

Attention. :p

Seriously, congratulations on solving one of the great metaphysical quandaries of civilization: from Socrates to Ren

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

God, if he exists, save my soul, if it exists.

I started a poll a while back aimed towards people who don't believe in the existance of souls. Basically the question was since it doesn't exist to you and it's worthless, would you sell it to a person that approached you and offered you $500 for it, contract at the ready and all.

To be fair most people stuck to their guns and said yes but there were a few that wanted to know if the guy knew something that they didn't about the value before signing up.

Sounds like an intriguing new basis for an economic miracle (*chuckle*).

Can you imagine people buying their own spirits back after they are floated on the soul exchange? :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT