Australians Try to Quell Racial Violence

kumquatq3

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051213/wl_nm/...wN5bnN1YmNhdA--

I still smolder a little about the boards commentary on the, at least partially overstated, aftermath of Katrina.

So, let me point out 2 things:

1. Not 88 killed in a night club, not 2 moron kids who got themselves electrocuted, but 2,986 killed in the destruction of two famous landmarks live on world wide television.

While hate crimes were up Post-9/11 (since which they have gone back to normal levels) there was no rioting or mass public beatings.

The looting/crime post Katrina was after 80% of an entire city was submerged in water that could cover most of a two floor house, all of which you could watch on live television. Do I have to meantion the lack of food. 1,383 killed. 6,644 others remain unaccounted for, with 1,300 of them "feared dead".

Just to put things into perspective.

Not to say the US is this great Utopia, the LA riots weren't so long ago, but the point remains.

2. So has "civilization collapsed" in Paris and Sydney too now? Where are the cries of disgust when 5000 white youths, rallied in part by Neo-Nazis, riot in the suburbs of Sydney, in part as a reaction to racially motivated gang rapes? Where are the multiple posts on the event? Where are the judgements being handed down? Somehow those voices have grown silent yet again.

Edited by kumquatq3

I heard about this yesterday and my sentiments are the same.

I can't help but to wonder what kindo f tension does the society hide if the youth are ready for, and seemingly enjoying, something so drastic. Just goes to show how blind we are when we think racism has somehow disappeared.

Makes you think.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

First I've heard of it.

I'd guess he's refering to the second that America is perceicved to have done something wrong there are threads about it.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I don't get kumq's rant with respect to board commentary and the events he mentioned.

I'm not sure what you missed. Give me an idea.

I'm gonna guess your not too familar with the threads and comments with respect to Katrina (and the carrying over of the debate to many a other thread), and the lack of threads and the comments that followed the thread I made about the French riots? And the lack, on the third day, of a thread or social commentary on the Australian riot.

Edited by kumquatq3

Australian has a "built in" solution for all of this, just round up everyone, strip them down and put them in the middle of the country. Then we'll see who cares about being a racist.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Yeah, i totally missed the katrina stuff. The french riot thread survived a while with many people posting opinions (and in my view missing the point).

Regarding the aussie riots i'm not sure the volume of news coverage is on the same level as with katrina or france.

Australian has a "built in" solution for all of this, just round up everyone, strip them down and put them in the middle of the country. Then we'll see who cares about being a racist.

Funny you should mention it but the front page of the bbc news site is about the falconio case.

Edited by Surreptishus

Regarding the aussie riots i'm not sure the volume of news coverage is on the same level as with katrina or france.

That's part of my point I'm trying to get at.

Trouble in America = "civilization in the Midwest is decaying"

Trouble in France = "We care around the 5th day"

Trouble in Australia where a small army of Neo-Nazi supporters riot = "Blurb on the 3rd day"

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I "get it", Katrina and 9/11 were bigger events, but the social commentary on the events is what bugs me. Still, I get that, the big guy on the hill ****s up and everyone notices. Fine. Doesn't mean I can't comment on unfairness of it all.

Edited by kumquatq3

Ya the Katrina Story was just a much bigger story then whats happening with the other two, bigger story bigger sensationalization

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Katrina wasnt so much about riots

There wasn't really "Riots" post Katrina, I mean, more people managed to riot in a suburb of Sydney than in all of a downtown world famous city.

It was more "looting" than "riot". There wasn't alot of action being taken out of angry at another group or goverment body. it was more about taking "stuff".

It was more "looting" than "riot". There wasn't alot of action being taken out of angry at another group or goverment body. it was more about taking "stuff".

I guess that is what disappoints me more than the other two stories. You have people suffering and dying, more people homeless, and what do they do? Steal television sets.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I guess that is what disappoints me more than the other two stories. You have people suffering and dying, more people homeless, and what do they do? Steal television sets.

.....and food and supplies and cloths, etc.

Point being, it wasn't just "I'm going to break that store window because I hate Islam".

Not to mention the huge US media coverage, including the DailyShow which I watch frequently. Just how many Australian or French news or comedy sources do you think I watch? :(

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Possibly, but they obviously covered the Katrina part more thoroughly.

I didn't know about the intern btw.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

The fact is that Austrialia just isn't as importaint as America.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Not to America anyway.

My post was intended in jest, of course. but there is truth to the statement. What would happen if similar events took place in either Austrailia or US that happened in Canada recently. There would be much more worldwide importance if it happened to the US as apposed to Australia.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta