Australians Try to Quell Racial Violence

kumquatq3

Thanks. I haven't heard good things about the Australian media's role in this, vis a vie sensationalism and such, do any Australians here have an opinion on the media's culpability?

In this particular set of events, I'd say no.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Thanks. I haven't heard good things about the Australian media's role in this, vis a vie sensationalism and such, do any Australians here have an opinion on the media's culpability?

They certainly didn't help.

Edited by Synaesthesia

They certainly didn't help.

Alan Jones is really a seperate beast. Seems kinda cruel to lump the rest of the media in with him.

God, I love this quote from Peter Dunne:

"There is much to admire about Australia but copying the stupid attitudes of drunken thugs at Cronulla in Sydney is not the way forward for a peaceful New Zealand."

So much is true. Emulating drunken thugs is usually a bad choice. hahahaha I can't believe folks want to demonstrate "white power." I've always thought white/black/brown/purple/whatever pride was stupid and divisive. After all, why should you be proud of an attritbute over which you have no control? I mean, if you're not proud of your country, you can at least renounce your citizenship and go somewhere else. It's not like you did anything special to be white or black. You just happen to come that way.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

God, I love this quote from Peter Dunne:

"There is much to admire about Australia but copying the stupid attitudes of drunken thugs at Cronulla in Sydney is not the way forward for a peaceful New Zealand."

So much is true.  Emulating drunken thugs is usually a bad choice.  hahahaha  I can't believe folks want to demonstrate "white power."  I've always thought white/black/brown/purple/whatever pride was stupid and divisive.  After all, why should you be proud of an attritbute over which you have no control?  I mean, if you're not proud of your country, you can at least renounce your citizenship and go somewhere else.  It's not like you did anything special to be white or black.  You just happen to come that way.

Now you are just making me feel guilty about my ethnic pride. :) (But you're right. :p )

We're nearing the end of one world and the begining of another, people shouldn't be so surprised about the chaos.

It's a sign of transition.

I actually agree with Darque on this, I think society as we know it just isnt working and we are entering a transition period (I have no great predictions as to how it will all turn out) but change is defenatly starting.

As for the original posters comments, I think the looting in the aftermath of Katrina is just as bad as the roits in France and Australia. Just Katrina was more in the publics mind and attention so more people had "opinions " on it. Thats why you had threads on the disgusting acts done in the aftermath of Katrina and not endless threads on France or Austraila. Simple as that. Thats the price you pay for drawing attention to yourself as the world leader and being the one of the few super powers left.

The actual acts tho (be it looting, racism, gangs, ect) are all just as disgusting as the next.

We're nearing the end of one world and the begining of another, people shouldn't be so surprised about the chaos.

I actually agree with Darque on this, I think society as we know it just isnt working and we are entering a transition period (I have no great predictions as to how it will all turn out) but change is defenatly starting.

A mass change?

Are you guys seeing a cold war ending type of change?

Because everything is always changing, obviously, but as the clash of religions go.....not that big of a change if you ask me. Grown in publicity because they hit the US, sure, but what really has changed?

I think the big change coming is China growing in power (Cold War 2: Revenge of the Commies)

Edited by kumquatq3

From NineMSN:

"The new arrests come amid uncomfirmed reports this morning that up to 30 car and busloads of Lebanese, Serb, Italian and Greek gangs from Melbourne are on their way to Sydney for a repeat of last Sunday's race riot in Cronulla, Nine Network News said."

Fun Times!

Looks like I'll be staying in this weekend.

That said, we can all live together in harmony. Take me, for example. I'm a white Australian male who is helping a Lebanese person play a practical joke on an Italian. Multiculturalism can work!

"The new arrests come amid uncomfirmed reports this morning that up to 30 car and busloads of Lebanese, Serb, Italian and Greek gangs from Melbourne are on their way to Sydney for a repeat of last Sunday's race riot in Cronulla, Nine Network News said."

Better not be true but at least they'll be less of them here then! (in Melbourne).

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Wow, it's gotta be a real feat to get Lebanese, Serbs, Italians, and Greeks to work together. What the hell? hahahaha

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

A mass change?

Are you guys seeing a cold war ending type of change?

Because everything is always changing, obviously, but as the clash of religions go.....not that big of a change if you ask me. Grown in publicity because they hit the US, sure, but what really has changed?

I think the big change coming is China growing in power (Cold War 2: Revenge of the Commies)

Well speaking for myself (im sure Darque has his own reasons for saying what he did), I dont forsee it as a cold war senario.

More a move away from traditional Politics that we in the west have become acustom to.

Far as the war topic goes, I still think (and have since I was a kid 40 years ago) that the middle east is just going to blow itself up on its own in the long run, being driven by their fanatical religious zealots! They can yell and scream and blame the states and others much as they want, its themselves that are their biggest threat to their own lives. But as you say, thats nothing new really. However, when one of those lunatics over there do finally "push the button", its going to make a drastic change for all the world, regardless if its only directed at themselves or not.

I think Western (Canada and USA mostly) populations are just getting fed up with corrupt and lieing polititions to the point I could see massive electral changes coming in next couple decades. Possibly to the extent that our political leaders are finally head accountable for their actions and lack of follow through on their promises (beyond just not being re-elected). I could feasible (its a stretch but not as large as one would think) see the removal of ALL political parties from politics so the elected truely are representing their constituants. I think people are just getting that tired of the same old senario of the democrats/republicans/liberals/conservatives/ect. I dont see either of us riseing up and forcing change through force, but think the change is coming all the same. Its obviously not here yet, but based on previous USA and Canadian Elections and general voter attitudes, I wouldnt be all that surprised to see it go that way in upcoming decades.

For instance, here in Canada were going through a Election right now YET AGAIN brought about by political corruptness. A recent poll on "who people would vote for" showed that 40% of the country was going to make their final choice based on debates. Thats never happened in Canada before. Usually Debates help 10-20% of the voters at the most with everyone else falling inline with their selected parties. People just dont know who to beleive anymore and dont trust any of the parties (their words, not mine).

Saw much the same thing/attitude in last USA election.

PS: China doesnt worry me at all. Countries like Iran (with its new president who doesnt beleive in the Holocaust ever happening...and the rest of his weirdly stated opinions) and North Korea worry me far more then China ever has.

Edited by Kalfear

Not "worried" nessasarily, but I still see it as the most realistic senerio.

And, minus another great depression, there is too many outside destractions for Canada or the US to suffer too much internal strife, imo.

LOL, one could argue that with less then 50% voter turn out in recent elections Kum (thats for both Canada and USA ), and cross boarder relations at a all time low (well not as low as when USA invaded Canada in 1812, but since then), we are already suffering a fair amount of internal strife (with no signs of it lessening in the immediate future).