Australians Try to Quell Racial Violence

kumquatq3

What the article fails to mention is how the riots were started...

What happened was some of the Lebonese community in Sydney had claim some of the beach as there own and were abusing anyone who ventured there including threatining young girls with rape.

So 2 life guards went to sort it out and ended up being stabed, so the first days riots was about that.

The second day of rioting were "revenge" attacks from the previous days when Gangs of Muslims, Lebonese and so forth went on the rampage smashing cars raiding shops and so forth.

Ya, truffle shuffle

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Regarding the aussie riots i'm not sure the volume of news coverage is on the same level as with katrina or france.
Trouble in Australia where a small army of Neo-Nazi supporters riot = "Blurb on the 3rd day"

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I "get it", Katrina and 9/11 were bigger events, but the social commentary on the events is what bugs me. Still, I get that, the big guy on the hill ****s up and everyone notices. Fine. Doesn't mean I can't comment on unfairness of it all.

I read about it on the BBC website the day after it happened (the initial riot, not the one on Monday).

The whole situation is a bit more complicated that it appears and it doesn't help that our PM is denying that racism is (at least partially) to blame (don't look at me, I didn't vote him in).

Yeah, Syn, but that's part of the problem. We're at a point in western society where Australians of Lebanese descent (Many of whom aren't even Muslim, so it's not necessarily a religious conflict) threaten non-Lebanese to protect their turf? That's racist. When folks have a different standard for white people than for folks of color, then you're just pointing white teens in the direction of some terrible group or another, the Neo-Nazis in this case.

What's fair is fair. Hell, it's not even as if the Lebanese were fighting for civil rights. They were protecting turf in the manner of a street gang. That's not the best way to engender support for your cause. ...And I believe racism (I hate the term, as it legitimizes the very idea of race) is at fault for a great many ills, but I don't believe that Australia is any worse than most countries in terms of dealing with ethnic diversity. Indeed, They seem a damned sight better than most.

To scream racism and then lay this all down at the feet of the white community will only alienate a sizeable number of otherwise sympathetic citizens. Instead, we should look at this as a problem involving both communities. Look for a solution that doesn't reward violent or criminal behavior. Work for a level playing field that doesn't point the finger at one ethnic group or another.

One thing I do notice, however, is that it didn't take the Australians over a week to put a lid on this problem. I'm not happy about what happened in France, but it sure shed light on how much room they have to wag their crooked fingers at the United States and scream "foul."

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I live in Melbourne so I too can only get my stuff from reports.

Here's what I've pieced together:

- There has always been a problem with "gangs" (although I'm sure nothing like Bikie gangs or mob gangs) where basically in this a Lebonese gang kept being "hard-core" and "fully-sic" and kept pissing people off at the beach.

- Two life guards then got bashed (don't know about the sorting it out thing but that makes sense to me)

- A group of "Aussie" then form some sort of show of support down at the beach and heaps of people show up to show solidarity. This mob is then incited into a drunken mob rampage and end up beating up anybody who looks Middle-Eastern origin.

- That night, the Lebonese gangs and Middle-easterners go on a much more violent rampage/riot as revenge and go onto beat people up and smash cars, etc, Paris riot style.

- They (Middle-East/Lebonese) then do it for a 2nd night in a row.

So is the discussion about how "Even Australian society is suddenly collapsing as well" is being exagerrated?

FYI Melbourne (well, every place except Sydney) is fine...for now.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

To scream racism and then lay this all down at the feet of the white community will only alienate a sizeable number of otherwise sympathetic citizens.  Instead, we should look at this as a problem involving both communities.  Look for a solution that doesn't reward violent or criminal behavior.  Work for a level playing field that doesn't point the finger at one ethnic group or another.

I think most people realise it's not all "whiteys" fault, but when the mob starts bashing up Greeks (who generally don't look even remotely Middle Eastern) and Aboriginals, it becomes increasingly difficult to factor out racism as a cause.

One thing I do notice, however, is that it didn't take the Australians over a week to put a lid on this problem.  I'm not happy about what happened in France, but it sure shed light on how much room they have to wag their crooked fingers at the United States and scream "foul."

There's not a lid on the problem (yet). There have been further riots planned for this coming Sunday.

Well I hope someone pays for the cars. It sucks to have your car bashed up for no reason - ask the Brits and French.

I wonder if companies will start offering random minority gang damage rampage coverage for their vehicle insurance policies.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

So is the discussion about how "Even Australian society is suddenly collapsing as well" is being exagerrated?

It is exagerrated. The riots take place only in few certain suburbs and noone got killed yet as far as I know.

I live there, and I didn't read news I wouldn't have known a thing. :thumbsup:

And yeah, there is a tension between different cultures and races in Australia as in any multicultural society.

It is exagerrated. The riots take place only in few certain suburbs and noone got killed yet as far as I know.

At least I suppose it's not as bad as down here (Melbourne) with all those Asian (mainly Viets) people being involved those things like Nightclubs and knives.

True though they weren't riots or anything - still portrays a negative image of their culture.

And I thought it was only Israel/Palastinians who were obsessed with revenge.

I doubt the lifeguards were bashed because they somehow criticised Lebonese culture or whatever.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

From my understanding, it seems like a case of double idiocy:

1. Lebanese-Australian gangs causing trouble.

2. Drunken Anglo-Australians "standing up" for "real Aussies".

The Lebanese gangs should be dealt with just as any other gang/semi-organised crime group should be - perhaps there is a perception that they were treated with kid gloves by authorities not wanting to seem racist which is partically to blame for the problem.

The drunken Anglo-Aussies are equally shameful - telling Australians of Middle-Eastern origin to "go home" is kind of daft considering most of them are only 1 or 2 generations away from being immigrants themselves. All we need now are some Aboriginal gangs forming and telling the Anglo-Aussies to get out of "their" country. :thumbsup:

There is definitely racism here in Australia. The rise of the infamous One Nation party in the late 90s is proof of that. Our Prime Minister (despite some lame protestations to the contrary) is clearly aware of this vibe and happy to exploit it as can be seen through his pre-election "get tough" stance on illegal immigrants, blind support of US foreign policy in the Middle East and constant warnings against "home-grown" terrorists.

Case in point: When an Asian country executes an Australian citizen everyone is up in arms, but when the Governator executes some black ex-gang memeber no one blinks an eyelid.

I think most people realise it's not all "whiteys" fault, but when the mob starts bashing up Greeks (who generally don't look even remotely Middle Eastern) and Aboriginals, it becomes increasingly difficult to factor out racism as a cause.

Especially when there are guys wearing shirts marked "Ethnic Cleansing Unit".

I was amused when that guy claimed "This is what our grandfathers fought for!", referring to WW2. Yeah, our grandfathers fought so you could have a "Leb and Wog bashing day". For ****s sake.

Bascially you've got two group of arseholes continuing the cycle of hate.

this doesn't have anything to do with terrorism though (although that's what some media may be inferring since the description of being a "Muslim" is always being discussed).

To put it another way, if it were say an Asian group that beat up those lifeguards then I reckon the same thing would've happened except it'd be asians involved, however, I don't think they're would've been a 2nd night of "revenge" attacks cos that was triggered by a false rumor of a Mosque being attacked.

And for those in Aus I personally don't think this has anything to do with those recent Anti-Terror Laws, although as always the Greens (political party) will probably use it as an excuse like they always do. :thumbsup:

sigpic0yb.jpg

And for those in Aus I personally don't think this has anything to do with those recent Anti-Terror Laws, although as always the Greens (political party) will probably use it as an excuse like they always do.  :thumbsup:

I think it would be naive to assume that the recent world and Australian focus on the "War on Terror" have not resulted in an increase in race-attacks against people of middle-eastern origin. Also recent pre-emptive arrests of alleged Muslim terrorists in Australia may have promoted a "get them before they get us" mentality amongst some of the drunken yobo element.

In any case, the Australian media hasn't helped by inflaming the situation by blanket-coverage and sensationalism.

The problem here is basic humannature. Human beings are naturally social animals. We just love being with one another. However when there is an division, artificial as it may be, we get anxious, angr, and violent because such division is against our instinctual nature but it has such a strong pull for we learn this division as a very young age.

We become angry at ourselves but unknowing where to place this anger so we pklace it right on the shoulders of the so called racial divide and get a us versus them mentality.

Your avatar rocks, Nartwak. Now, as for the racial/ethnic/religious violence... it sucks.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!