Xbox360 Japanese launch

Meshugger

I've never played any of those titles. I played Final Fantasy years ago. It was fun, but I much prefer other RPGs.

However, HellKitty does have a good point, console haters in general are the norm in these parts. Hell, some of the same folks hatin' the XBox will be back again to hate the PS3 and Revolution.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Oh, you know, I did play Silent Hill 4, but I didn't like the combat. Resident Evil looks like fun. If I end up getting a PS3, I'll probably pick up one of the RE titles.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'd like the Xbox 360 except it's stupid.

MS probably would've gotten a purchase out of me, not at launch, but as soon as the bugs had been worked out and I had the money, I would've boughten one, for the Xbox titles I missed, but couldn't justify purchasing an entire console for because there were just too few. Now there's enough titles that I want, that I want an Xbox, if I was able to use the backwards compatability on the 360 I would have just went ahead and bought that. But thanks to their genius 'downloadable' backwards compatibility, which I am assuming, though have never checked up on, requires the same highspeed internets all other Live! services do, I can't even use the backwards compatability. High speed internet simply isn't available out here, aside from the clunky sattellite which speeds up your downloads but is crap in everything else, dialups better for gaming because of the nature in which the sattellite sends teh information.

So now I'll just buy on old Xbox, and probably do the same with the 360 after the third iteration of the MS consoles come out.

The hardware issues make me even more glad I have a solid reason not to buy one.

Man, I still like my Media Center idea, and computer companies have started selling special systems tailored to fit such roles. I've seen models from Dell, Gateway, and Alienware off the top of my head.

When I have my own place I'll be building my own, dirt cheap to build (not near what the manufacturers I mentioned were asking for them) because they don't really require any hugely fancy parts. An old Radeon All-In-Wonder or similar card to receive and send the signals, a couple fairly large hard drives, old CPU that does the job and functions in the type of small case you want etc.

The original X-Box was a great console.  :D  It had probably the best graphics and lots of solid titles.  I don't think it's fair to judge the X-Box 360's success yet.  Give it more time before using the word "Dreamcast".  :)

i always thought that these things were the xbox's greatest characteristics: the best graphics of the three consoles (since it came out later, but still...), and pretty sveeet titles like splinter cell (which i really like, its actually a lot different from the Metal Gear's. sound and lighting have a big place in the gameplay whereas in MGS you can run up to an enemy and he won't hear you, or if you are just out of his range of sight, which is 10 feet, he can't see you. both games though are equally my favourites in their genre) and Kotor (leaving out for PC) and Halo 1+2.

Yeah, so basically they definitely should've waited. the xbox lost its power attribute by coming out first with only a few mediocre games and no Halo 3.

in other words: Dreamcast :p (i'm a fan of the xbox too, its the only console of the three current gen ones that i own, and i am saying this objectively)

I've never played any of those titles.  I played Final Fantasy years ago.  It was fun, but I much prefer other RPGs.

However, HellKitty does have a good point, console haters in general are the norm in these parts.  Hell, some of the same folks hatin' the XBox will be back again to hate the PS3 and Revolution.

Just as a preemptive strike, I am going to comment that my lack of enthusiasm for the upcoming consoles is not because I'm a console "hater." They just don't have anything that interests me.

I have been disinterested in the XBOX, and I suspect I'll be disinterested in the PS3 and the Revolution as well. Having said that, I absolutely cannot resist a fanboy, which is usually why you'll see me jump in.

Carry on :)

I think Nintendo could gain a lot of ground this time around. They have an innovative machine, they have a machine thats really easy to develop for since it's not much different to a current gen machine. It's cheap to develop for compared to the other two. None of the other two will be able to touch it price wise and the games will probably be priced lower too.

I dont think the 360 will last the course. If it looks this unimpressive now, thats not going to improve in the future.

The Xbox was a good machine.They retired it too early. Never thought a console needed a HD but it sure came in handy with faster load times and hassle free saves. I have about 3 other memory cards each for the other consoles (and thats not including the rest of the family). If anything the 360 is a big step back because now you have the customer base split between the crappy core system and the other less crapy premium system.

Most of Sony's early PS2 sales actually came from BC PS games so having a BC system that involves jumping through that many hoops is insane. The HD is only 13 GB too when it comes to actual free space.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Eh, bad sales in Japan are to be expected.

My housemates 360 is pretty cool, I had forgotten how much fun just playing some Madden could be.

As for the Microsoft evil and Sony not as evil, thats just dumb, Sony had to "buy" it way into the market and thus creating PC whiners at one time, so I guess its fair of xbox to do the same. Plus Microsoft never owned major shares in companies that produce landmines so thats alway a plus. I like the 360 so far, and I might eventually purchase my own, if my housemate leaves or something.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Yeah, I'm not surprised the 360 can't compete in the Japanese game market. I mean, come on, we're all partial to Japanese games, anyway.

Everyone remembers that PS2 seminal achievement, right? Or am I the only one who played Guilty Resident Hibachi Non-Sequitur Malapropism #Reload 2!? Come on, I'm sure you played it. The one where you're the typical American cop with a mullet from Badger Township? And with the zombies and everything? And you can capture those cute little kikomon cartoon animals to train up and help you fight the zombies? And when you got to an important bit you'd go to a cutscene and the game would like completely change over into a fighter for a little bit and you'd do all these crazy insane moves like the Dragon Fist. And speaking of dragons, man, who'd have thought they'd have dragons in that game? But they so rocked, especially 'cause they were done in that cell-shaded animation style and old-school 2D. Rock on. Oh, oh! And remember how you could spend hours coming up with camouflage patterns for the wooded stages? Even the usual ninja headband that, you know, everyone wears? Man. That game was scary as hell but probably mostly because I have a weak heart and weak bladder and things popping out of nowhere on my TV with some moody music in a dark setting with my lights off and no more popcorn and being wired on caffeine at four in the morning eating pocky and stuff always makes things scary. And the anime-style graphics were the best because it gave me new outlets for my cosplay fetish which is just super cool, and my friend told me you can even unlock a hentai tentacle rape scene. Money.

Perfect Dark Zero and DoA 4 look great and I get to play them for free.

What's there to hate?

Taken you meds lately, Commie? :D

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'd like the Xbox 360 except it's stupid. 

MS probably would've gotten a purchase out of me, not at launch, but as soon as the bugs had been worked out and I had the money, I would've boughten one, for the Xbox titles I missed, but couldn't justify purchasing an entire console for because there were just too few.  Now there's enough titles that I want, that I want an Xbox, if I was able to use the backwards compatability on the 360 I would have just went ahead and bought that.  But thanks to their genius 'downloadable' backwards compatibility, which I am assuming, though have never checked up on, requires the same highspeed internets all other Live! services do, I can't even use the backwards compatability.  High speed internet simply isn't available out here, aside from the clunky sattellite which speeds up your downloads but is crap in everything else, dialups better for gaming because of the nature in which the sattellite sends teh information. 

So now I'll just buy on old Xbox, and probably do the same with the 360 after the third iteration of the MS consoles come out. 

The hardware issues make me even more glad I have a solid reason not to buy one.

You can download emulation files from internet and burn to a cd. Then all you need is putting that disk into your 360.

centinexx.png

That picture is only half the truth. The price of 18,800 yen is only eligible if you sign up for an ISP for a specific amount of time. Since none of us here can read japanese (I assume?) it's impossible to tell what the real price is. It's probably like those cell phone deals you get where you pay nothing for the phone but pay lots for your calls and the monthly fee.

And of course the Xbox 360 is going to sell slowly in Japan to begin with. These numbers will change once the first japanese oriented titles appear. Microsoft tried to launch the console too soon, but I don't think any harm's been done.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Sony can go to hell, too :(

Though, to be fair, Sony draws extensively upon the Japanese game development industry which wasn't PC-based to begin with. As such, a PS2/3 exclusive title does not rouse my ire as much as a Xbox-exclusive does. IMO, M$'s entrance into the console industry simply served to divide the game industry even more. Given the fact that competition between consoles means that alot of great games go exclusive, here's one instance where I don't support the mantra that competition is always good for the consumer.

There are doors

I'm sure that's somehow different from Sony's.

No, really.

I think MS stepped more on what would have been PC titles. Sony didnt do that until the Xbox came along.

I still think Nintendo could do really well as long as they can keep up a steady supply of games (which they didnt on the GC).

The PS2's sold around 100,000,000 which leaves a lot of people with PS2 games to take advantage of the onboard BC.

Two of the primary reasons I'm getting a PS3 , being able to play my PS2 (and a couple of PS) games without hassle and a Blu Ray player.

Since all the 360 has to offer is games, the games have to be really special to entice me to buy one. I still have doubts that DvD will last a decent lifespan.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Good for him.  I still don't know why people are getting so hung up about X Box 1.5.  Overall the system is not all that great, the games aren't that much better, and it has more problems than it is worth.  I still don't see any reason to buy it.

I don't know whether I will get an Xbox 360 or not but if KOTOR III comes out as an Xbox 360-exclusive, I will buy the platform for that one title. Yes, I will admit that.