So I was watching Starship Troopers today...

Arkan

But something bothers me about the movie. Other than the fact that there would be no movie if it wasn't for the mobile infantry, why would we go to war like that? Wouldn't we Nuke the alien planet to cinders before we dared set foot on the planet?

It is because they wanted to capture a "brain bug" and learn about species' tactics in order to better eradicate them from their numerous inhabited

planets. If they nuked it, that would work, but then they would have to nuke all the other planets too and stop the bugs from getting to another planet and then breeding and going to another planet and so on. That is a lot of planets and a lot of nukes. It isn't some Ender's Game where you have basically all the "brain bug's" on one planet.

The book was so better and different, sci-fi book fans would really like it i am sure, and any reader for that matter. unless you absolutely loathe sci-fi... if that's the case... why are you reading this still?

I thought in the books they used giant exo-suits to fight the bugs. In anycase that would have been better

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I thought in the books they used giant exo-suits to fight the bugs. In anycase that would have been better

In the 3D cartoon they did.

The infantry armor made more sense too.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

yeah man, "gorilla suits". they had hydraulics that enhanced one's strength, a communication system, and there was this thing called the "y-rack" that sounded so cool to me when i was younger, because the main character takes a "y-rack" off the back of his suit and loads up his guns with it (w00t)

Does anyone here remeber a short lived cartoon called ExoSquad that was totally sweet

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

post-2035-1134371560_thumb.jpg You mean this, Laozi? The mech suit I mean. Or this. post-2035-1134371654_thumb.jpg Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

Does anyone here remeber a short lived cartoon called ExoSquad that was totally sweet

ExoSquad wasn't short lived. It had 52 episodes. Though it did get cancelled just as they were getting into the next storyline, the whole threat from outside the solar system. I liked that it was an american cartoon that treated war seriously. People died. Lots of people. Even a main character. Probably why it only aired at 6:30 am. I also liked that it was semi-realistic. The whole thing took place within our solar system. Though I didn't like that the space pirates had an army that rivaled the entire terran armada.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Exo-squad is my favorite cartoon of all time.  I would by a DVD box set of that...I wonder if it exists.

Here.

- Everlast

I really liked how we battled a race we had created to be our slaves. I also liked how they were all like 7 and a half feet tall and had two thumbs on each hand.

Why can't someone like Sci-Fi channel make somethnig like this instead of that crappy StarGate crap they're always crapping out, crap.

I had a bunch of the toys too, I wonder if they're still in my parents attic

Edited by Laozi

I really liked how we battled a race we had created to be our slaves. I also liked how they were all like 7 and a half feet tall and had two thumbs on each hand.

Why can't someone like Sci-Fi channel make somethnig like this instead of that crappy StarGate crap they're always crapping out, crap.

I had a bunch of the toys too, I wonder if they're still in my parents attic

Battlestar Galactica is a pretty good alternative, being the best show on TV and all.

Also cool about ExoSquad: BW Megatron, Optimus Primal, and Rhinox all did voices for the show. Rhinox was the big baddie, while Optimus was the good Neo and one of the baddie Generals, while Megs was also a baddie general. I was too lazy to look up character names.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I refuse to watch BG without Face from the A-Team.

Actually I might start watching, I'm very weary of most anything on T.V.

I was going to start watching Lost, but then a friend of mine pointed out how alot of the same people who like it liked Alias and that was enough to dissuade me.

I remember the director saying something about not wanting to use the armoured suit thingys because he wanted more of a WW2 brothers-in-arms things and felt the suits would have been more or a Top Gun every man for themselves deal.

that is a thinly veiled excuse for saying, "basically i am too lazy and stupid to design awesome battle-suits and make them for all the actors to wear."

I remember the director saying something about not wanting to use the armoured suit thingys because he wanted more of a WW2 brothers-in-arms things and felt the suits would have been more or a Top Gun every man for themselves deal.

that is a thinly veiled excuse for saying, "basically i am too lazy and stupid to design awesome battle-suits and make them for all the actors to wear."

Hardly. As has been mentioned in this thread, the movie didn't start out as a Starship Troopers film, rather it was "Bug Hunt" or some such, and the whole infantry versus the bugs was already as it was written. Had the film began life as an adaptation of ST, then it probably would have done the armoured suits. Besides, directors don't do production design.

I was going to start watching Lost, but then a friend of mine pointed out how alot of the same people who like it liked Alias and that was enough to dissuade me.

You may be right but for example I dislike Alias I don't give a crap about JJ Abrams especially since he did that stupid Superman script ages ago, but I do like Lost... overall.

You do realize you just said that about the director of RoboCop.

Devastatorsig.jpg

...good movie, overall. Entertaining to say the least. I love the propaganda aspect of it. But something bothers me about the movie. Other than the fact that there would be no movie if it wasn't for the mobile infantry, why would we go to war like that? Wouldn't we Nuke the alien planet to cinders before we dared set foot on the planet?

Because they live underground which would shield them from airbursts, so you have to get the nukes underground which is a lot harder. Plus they are bugs so are resistant to radiation so only the actual explosion will kill them.

If the humans had a Death Star though it wouldn't have been a problelm.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

You do realize you just said that about the director of RoboCop.

how many robo cop suits are there? thats right, one. he is too lazy to make an army of super awesome robo cops. and robocop is a cyborg, not an exosuit pilot.

but i was just joking when i made that comment. i just wanted to say "thinly veiled excuse" in a sentence.

so i wish they'd make an actual starship troopers movie that was accurate to the book, because that would be sveeeeeet

so i wish they'd make an actual starship troopers movie that was accurate to the book, because that would be sveeeeeet

Actually, it wouldn't. If you remember, in the book standard trooper formations were spread over several kilometres, which meant that individual troopers never actually saw their teammates directly. Which is kinda consistent with the kind of firepower each suit boasted. Meaning, that for all intents and purposes, it's every man for himself. That kind of action wouldn't work for a war movie, methinks. Not as it's described in the book, anyway.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Sounds cool and much more effective than the Sovietsque waste of manpower we see in the movie.

Besides, I've always been a sucker for walkers

Black_Templar_Dreadnought.gif - Dreadnought. :blink:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.