Interesting article about PC v. Console

kumquatq3

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140790.html

Iwatani, whose speech preceded Miyamoto's, didn't comment on the Revolution or its controller directly. Instead, he shared his thoughts that the future of gaming may lead far from the living room, which directly goes against the visions of Nintendo. Iwatani explained that more and more people are starting to have a PC in their own room; as a result, he believes that in the future, games will be played on PCs rather than living room TVs. Iwatani speculated that PCs may soon come with a universal gaming chip in their motherboard. The chip would have all the functions needed to play games. Users would simply download games, and they won't have to worry about compatibility problems, since all hardware functions would be embedded in the chip.

huh

Makes sense. But one of the things that leads to higher quality console software is the fact that the owners have the final say if it is ready.

Thats why you get totally unfinished stuff on the PC that require a couple of 100 megs of patch to actually work.

There have been the odd exception (mostly through MS) but nothing close to the PC levels of dross.

So while a "console" that no one owns dosnt sound too bad. It's developer and publisher attitudes that need a shake up too.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

1) Revolution isn't in red

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

One thing is for sure, without a more affordable way to play PC games, the PC will lose more and more market share to the consoles.

It's just too expensive to be a PC gamer. I'm thinking about dropping $800 dollars plus soon just to play modern games.

Nothing is wrong with my computer, it can do anything you ask it too, but play todays news games.

For just games, $800 is a bit much, and that doesn't even get you a high-end rig.

But the fact remains that with the 4-500 you pay for a console, you still get nothing more than a toy that, in 6months or so, wont be able to play the high-end games either. Sure, itll play them! But you can play Q4 on an AMD 1500+ with a radeon 9700 too.

This whole thing that consoles will outrun the PC as the #1 gaming platform is something that comes from console manufacturers. What do you think theyd like you to believe?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But the fact remains that with the 4-500 you pay for a console, you still get nothing more than a toy that, in 6months or so, wont be able to play the high-end games either. Sure, itll play them! But you can play Q4 on an AMD 1500+ with a radeon 9700 too.

This whole thing that consoles will outrun the PC as the #1 gaming platform is something that comes from console manufacturers. What do you think theyd like you to believe?

That will become much less of an issue as graphic improvements become more and more trivial. I don't care that much anyway if the 360 proves anything at the moment, its that prettier graphics do not make for better games. The difference your missing is really rather simple. On a console you get games optimised for that machine for 4-5 years. On the PC the games are not optimised to run on the best rigs, nor are they optimised to run on the low end rigs. So with PC gaming you get a very small window in which your PC is "in".

Frankly given the declining quality and the lack of games in general, it's just not worth buying a high end PC anymore. And it's not like I couldnt afford it if I felt it was worth it.

Consoles have already outrun the PC as the number one gaming platform. Thats not even up for debate anymore.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

On a console you get games optimised for that machine for 4-5 years.

That "optimization" is what we normally refer to as dumbing down a game to fit within the very narrow specs of a console. It is not an improvement IMO

Frankly given the declining quality and the lack of games in general, it's just not worth buying a high end PC anymore. And it's not like I couldnt afford it if I felt it was worth it.

If all you do with your PC is play games, then sure, that is a very good argument.

Consoles have already outrun the PC as the number one gaming platform. Thats not even up for debate anymore.

Most played game in the world right now: World of Warcraft (PC)

The best selling game of all time: The Sims (PC)

:)"

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That "optimization" is what we normally refer to as dumbing down a game to fit within the very narrow specs of a console. It is not an improvement IMO

If all you do with your PC is play games, then sure, that is a very good argument.

No it's pushing the machine to it's technical limits for it's lifespan.It may be what ignorant people refer to as dumbing down, but it's hardly the case.

There is no other reason to own a

478327[/snapback]

I fully expect PCs will again become the item to have for gamers.

But it will be AFTER the consoles have had their turn at it.

Gaming always goes in cycles, systems, types of games, who they designed for, ect.

So dont expect PC games to the most popular or most designed for, for at least 5 years.

We are entering the era of the console right now. When that fad dies off, maybe PCs will again become king.

Personally Im hoping for more mainstream VR myself, when the next cycle comes.

No it's pushing the machine to it's technical limits for it's lifespan.It may be what ignorant people refer to as dumbing down, but it's hardly the case.

There is no other reason to own a

Edited by Kalfear

On 'dumbing down' :

Consoles are restrictive when compared to a PC, not only do you have a fixed amount of memory, processor power and hardrive space to work with and so on, but youre also limited to hand controlers as your main source(there are always exceptions, but that is so obvious that I shouldnt have to write it) of input and to a television set as your main visual output. This sets hard limits on what kind of games you can create and the type of features that can be implemented in these games. There is also major differances in the way PC and console games are played.

And as technology advances, the consoles still remain at the same stage and this is where the technical(as opposed to gameplay-wise) "dumbing down" comes into play. You have to keep within a fixed box of limitations here too and if youre developing for the PC and console simultaneously, that will have a negative impact on the PC version aswell as it isnt feasible to make two completely different sets of graphics and code. This problem gets worse and worse the older the console.

When developing for the PC you have a "moving roof" where you make the game for the highest specs and then have removeable features(normal maps, dynamic lights etc.) to make it playable on slower machines. But if youre say, making it for the PS3 at the same time, Sony will never accept that the PS3 version looks much worse than the PC version and demand that the graphical quality be approximately the same for both. Thus, the game is "dumbed down".

..and yes, SuperMario 3 for the NES sold 17million copies as opposed to The Sims 16million copies for the PC and is therefore the best selling game of all time(bundled games do not count for obvious reasons).

and my figures Ive seen still say that WoW is the most played game at the moment.

On 'dumbing down' :

Consoles are restrictive when compared to a PC, not only do you have a fixed amount of memory, processor power and hardrive space to work with and so on, but youre also limited to hand controlers as your main source(there are always exceptions, but that is so obvious that I shouldnt have to write it) of input and to a television set as your main visual output. This sets hard limits on what kind of games you can create and the type of features that can be implemented in these games. There is also major differances in the way PC and console games are played.

And as technology advances, the consoles still remain at the same stage and this is where the technical(as opposed to gameplay-wise) "dumbing down" comes into play. You have to keep within a fixed box of limitations here too and if youre developing for the PC and console simultaneously, that will have a negative impact on the PC version aswell as it isnt feasible to make two completely different sets of graphics and code. This problem gets worse and worse the older the console.

When developing for the PC you have a "moving roof" where you make the game for the highest specs and then have removeable features(normal maps, dynamic lights etc.) to make it playable on slower machines. But if youre say, making it for the PS3 at the same time, Sony will never accept that the PS3 version looks much worse than the PC version and demand that the graphical quality be approximately the same for both. Thus, the game is "dumbed down".

..and yes, SuperMario 3 for the NES sold 17million copies as opposed to The Sims 16million copies for the PC and is therefore the best selling game of all time(bundled games do not count for obvious reasons).

and my figures Ive seen still say that WoW is the most played game at the moment.

So they already do that anyway and thats just amoung PC's. You get more for your tech on a console than you do with a PC too.

In other words PC development is all about being wasteful and lazy and instead of getting the most from the hardware keeping the graphics card manufacturers in business by making people buy a new one every six months.

Opps guess were wrong then

I assure you it's not WOW :blink:

478327[/snapback]

As I said in some other thread, it's was never Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo (or Sega back in the day) claiming that consoles will kill off PC gaming, it was always the Pc crowd doing the "woe is me" whine.

More powerful tech doesn't equal better or more complex games.

I find it very wasteful. I mean if you look at how ICO looked and how Collosus looks both on the same machine you can clearly see that even with fixed hardware you can make some pretty big leaps and bounds.

Not bad for a machine that cost less than a graphic card to buy.

478327[/snapback]

What it comes down to, is that developing for PC offers endless possibilities while Consoles offer nothing but limitations.

In other words PC development is all about being wasteful and lazy and instead of getting the most from the hardware keeping the graphics card manufacturers in business by making people buy a new one every six months.

Im going to tell Brian Lawson you said that :blink: *fisticuffs*

What it comes down to, is that developing for PC offers endless possibilities while Consoles offer nothing but limitations.

Im going to tell Brian Lawson you said that ;) *fisticuffs*

Wouldnt know it from most of the games :blink:

Feel free I have no doubt it's true. Sam Rami said something similiar about film making.

478327[/snapback]