I've corrupted a child.

Azure79

"I mentioned that one because I did actually buy the game."

One would assume you can play it on any platform you choose to, then.

Not real sure about this. If I were to own two of the Sega genesis systems but only owned one copy of Shining Force that I played on either platform, Sega is still only getting paid for one game. I used to program years ago and respect the work that a programmer has to go through to create a good game. The only ROMs that I have are the ones that I owned for the various platform games. I only liked RPGs anyway and there were damned few of those that I liked.

[Modspeak] Probably ought to keep the talk of trading ROMs and emulators to PMs guys. It'll probably irritate the programmers here otherwise. At least keep it out of sight. [/Modspeak] :thumbsup:

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

^ Yeah, I think those games ( as ROMs ) are still protected by copyright laws. I have some as well but they are getting harder to find the ROMs and emulators. Until they are declared 'AbandonWare', or released by the writer, they are still protected although I seriously doubt the Sega cares that I'm playing Shining Force on my PC.

Keep in mind guys that you're talking about pirating software on a game developer's board. They just might take offense to cavalier talk about software protections.  :thumbsup:

Ironically, Shining Force is one of the only games they might care about people pirating because aside from the GBA re-release, they bundled it with some five or so odd other Genesis games in the Sega Smash Pack for the PC, which in a hilarious turn of events uses an emulator (KGens IIRC) to make them work on the PC. Turnabout is fair play I guess (devs stealing pirates code).

"I mentioned that one because I did actually buy the game."

One would assume you can play it on any platform you choose to, then.

"Can you link me to this emulator?"

Because googling "SNES" together with "emulator" would be too damn hard?

"Yes but they're old games which you can't even buy now a days."

O RLY?

Yes because everyone knows that developers make so much money from the resale market.

Oh wait, they don't make any money from it. At all. In fact depending on the EULA resales are borderline legal in the first place. :huh:

EDIT: Also Googling SNES9x would probably get Craigboy more pertinent/concise results.

Edited by Child of Flame

"Oh wait, they don't make any money from it. At all."

Eh, so what? It's not like the devs make money, say, if you an used copy from a store, either, but I don't see people excusing piracy because they "could've bought it used and the devs hadn't seen the money then, either".

"In fact depending on the EULA resales are borderline legal in the first place."

Borderline legal is better than illegal.

"EDIT: Also Googling SNES9x would probably get Craigboy more pertinent/concise results."

ZSNES is better.

Edited by Sarjahurmaaja.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

Yes, I've corrupted a child but in a good way.  :luck:

Make sure he learns to play sport as well. That way, he won't grow up to be a feckless, irradiated geek, but a well-rounded renaissance man!

I didn't even have a pc until I was 23, before that I was very busy with sports and life, but that didn't stop me from turning into a feckless irradiated geek...it just took a bit longer. As long as that kid keeps playing crappy freeware and non-immersive games he'll be safe...just keep him the hell away from MUD until he comes of age.

edit: some quotes got lost

Edited by Janmanden

(Signatures: disabled) 

I think it's quite a good thing that you have introduced him to some great games at an early age, as he'll grow to appreciate good games, although like someone else here said, as long as it's only in moderation, playiing them is allright, as long as its not 24/7.

Ironically, Shining Force is one of the only games they might care about people pirating because aside from the GBA re-release, they bundled it with some five or so odd other Genesis games in the Sega Smash Pack for the PC, which in a hilarious turn of events uses an emulator (KGens IIRC) to make them work on the PC.  Turnabout is fair play I guess (devs stealing pirates code).

(w00t) KGens is the emulator I use. That's funny as hell. Thank's for the tip about the Sega Smash Pack. I'll go look for it and buy it. I'd rather have it for a more stable configuration anyway.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Nah, I doubt he'll get fat.

His father is a bit of a control freak and the kid is shipped off to kung-fu, soccer, piano and somekind of language school all throughout the week. He's busier than I am.

The only reason he's playing so much now is because it is Thanksgiving weekend, I'm sitting along next to him playing with him and explained to the parents that certain games increase brainwave activity through the quick manipulation of fingers and hand eye coordination. I also told them that games increase the creativity and imagination of kids.

Of course I was talking out of my arse, but the dad seemed to buy it. He was probably just humoring me though.

I doubt he'll be able to play any games during the week come tomorrow. Poor kid.

Ironically, Shining Force is one of the only games they might care about people pirating because aside from the GBA re-release, they bundled it with some five or so odd other Genesis games in the Sega Smash Pack for the PC, which in a hilarious turn of events uses an emulator (KGens IIRC) to make them work on the PC.  Turnabout is fair play I guess (devs stealing pirates code).

(w00t) KGens is the emulator I use. That's funny as hell. Thank's for the tip about the Sega Smash Pack. I'll go look for it and buy it. I'd rather have it for a more stable configuration anyway.

Keep in mind there's two of them, the second one is the one with Shining Force in it.

I was more of a Shining Force 2 person myself.

I'm over at a close family friends house for Thanksgiving for a couple of days. They have a 8 year old son and he has a computer. Not a very good computer. 128 ram, an old pentium 4 CPU and an internal graphics card.

Now, there's no one really my age at this home so I'm mostly bored out of my mind surfing the web since I don't have any games with me, when I remember the great world of emulation.

So I look around and DL a SNES emulator with a few classic games. Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Contra the Alien Wars, The Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Donkey Kong...among others.

I'm amusing myself, having a grand old time stomping turtles, blasting aliens and carving a path with Ryu's dragon sword, when the lil 8 year old kid sneaks up behind me and nearly deafens me with his enthusiastic shriek of, "COOL!!! CAN I PLAY NEXT? CAN I? CAN I? CAN I? CAN I? WHEN CAN I PLAY?"

Not being one to deny the joys of gaming to anyone(plus his yelling was really annoying) I let him have a turn at Contra. He quickly died within 3 seconds. I showed him the basic controls and gave him a few tips like, 'keep pressing the shoot button' and 'jump'. He kept dying but I could already tell by the shine in his eye and the determination on his face that he would not be denied victory.

I chuckled to myself, feeling pretty good about things and went downstairs to watch some TV. About an hour later I came up and checked on his progress. The little bugger had gotten the first of the top-down stages, but he couldn't seem to adjust to the new camera angles and was growing frustrated. I switched him over to Super Mario World and immediately he was hooked on that.

All day long he played running around as Mario, Ryu, Kong and Link. I was there with him reliving some good memories and felt proud of myself for introducing him to the world of games. I wanted to give him my old SNES, controllers and games so he could play properly, but alas my mom had given them away long ago.

I got to talking with while he was jumping, blasting and slicing away and he told me that he loved to read, especially those Choose You Own Adventure Books because as he told me, "You can choose what you want to happen!"

I answered with, "You know, there are games where you can choose where you want to go and what you want to happen too."

"Sweet!" he answered. "I wanna play that!"

So now he's playing Chrono Trigger. In addition I've DLed Final Fantasy 6, The Secret of Mana and other 16bit RPGs. I'm actually having a good time playing with him.

Yes, I've corrupted a child but in a good way.  :ninja:

Very good Story! My little cousins want to play my games all of the time but I tell them...You'll never be able to understand these games until you are about eight to ten! And then my mom gets mad at me when they whine to her about it. Damn kids always have their freakin way...

Yes I would let them play my old games such as Mario an Sonic and Metroid, but its too much of a hassle to break out my old NES and let em play. When my mom yells at me I always think "Their mom shud buy their own damn games for them!"

One time I broke it out to relive the glory days when gaming was introduced in the 80's. SO much fun! They're so simple yet so hard!

If money is the root of all evil.....why is the world not destroyed?