Whats up with all the short games ?

I was referring to the PC DVD, but PS2 and X-box DVD images are about the same size. With a little research I found versions spanning from 1.1GB to 2.9GB although the smaller versions are much more numerous.

(that was for Gun, but a qucik check confirmes that Kong is about the same size)

And yes, that means they only take up 1.5GB on the DVD.

1.5 GB sounds far too low. How large are the PC files when your transfer them to the HD ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

As for replaying good games, whats the point unless there is replay value?

I mean, I'll replay games I loved years later, but not start a new game within a year of beating the first time us less there is a reason to

Edited by kumquatq3

I was referring to the PC DVD, but PS2 and X-box DVD images are about the same size. With a little research I found versions spanning from 1.1GB to 2.9GB although the smaller versions are much more numerous.

(that was for Gun, but a qucik check confirmes that Kong is about the same size)

1.5 GB sounds far too low. How large are the PC files when your transfer them to the HD ?

CDs hold 700MB (that's 0.7 GB) uncompressed.

For ordinary garden-variety DVDs "... single-layer DVD can store 4.7 Gbyte ..."

Blu-Ray has LOADS more space:

Variations and sizes

A single-layer Blu-ray disc (BD) can fit 23.3, 25, or 27 GB; this is enough for approximately four hours of high-definition video with audio. A dual-layer BD can fit 46.6, 50, or 54 GB, enough for approximately eight hours of HD video. Capacities of 100 GB and 200 GB, using four and eight layers respectively, are currently being researched; TDK has already announced a prototype four-layer 100 GB disc. [1]

The BD-RE (rewritable) standard is available, along with the BD-R (recordable) and BD-ROM formats, which became available in mid-2004, as part of version 2.0 of the Blu-ray specifications. BD-ROM pre-recorded media are to be available by early 2006.

In addition to 12 cm discs, an 8 cm variation for use with camcorders is planned that will have a capacity of 15 GB. [2]

To ensure that the Blu-ray Disc format is easily extendable (future-proof) it also includes support for multi-layer discs, which should allow the storage capacity to be increased to 100GB

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

CDs hold 700MB (that's 0.7 GB) uncompressed.

For ordinary garden-variety DVDs "... single-layer DVD can store 4.7 Gbyte ..."

Blu-Ray has LOADS more space:

Variations and sizes

A single-layer Blu-ray disc (BD) can fit 23.3, 25, or 27 GB; this is enough for approximately four hours of high-definition video with audio. A dual-layer BD can fit 46.6, 50, or 54 GB, enough for approximately eight hours of HD video. Capacities of 100 GB and 200 GB, using four and eight layers respectively, are currently being researched; TDK has already announced a prototype four-layer 100 GB disc. [1]

The BD-RE (rewritable) standard is available, along with the BD-R (recordable) and BD-ROM formats, which became available in mid-2004, as part of version 2.0 of the Blu-ray specifications. BD-ROM pre-recorded media are to be available by early 2006.

In addition to 12 cm discs, an 8 cm variation for use with camcorders is planned that will have a capacity of 15 GB. [2]

To ensure that the Blu-ray Disc format is easily extendable (future-proof) it also includes support for multi-layer discs, which should allow the storage capacity to be increased to 100GB

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Are DVD9s really causing a space problem with the current crop of games? whats the biggest (discwise) game out for the PC at the moment?

The length of game depends on the genre, its target market, its target platform, multiplayer capability.

Although there is the possiblity of game studios/publishers shortening development times to increase rate of production.

Are DVD9s really causing a space problem with the current crop of games? whats the biggest (discwise) game out for the PC at the moment?

The length of game depends on the genre, its target market, its target platform, multiplayer capability.

Although there is the possiblity of game studios/publishers shortening development times to increase rate of production.

Dunno if Spider is correct about Gun and KONG then there should be plenty of space left. Since no one seems to put PC specs on shopping sites these days cant really check.

Pirates is 1.5 GB (which is the most recent game I have to hand).

Everquest II is 6 GB of HD space (found the specs) But no idea what it would be for the latest stuff.

I know I get about 59 minutes of record time on the highest quality setting on a DVD how that would translate to games though not really sure.

478327[/snapback]

The quick question (because I loathe New Zealand timezones and always missing 3-4 pages ;)) is, are the newer "crop" of shorter games, or if that point is to be refuted, the newer crop of games, worth playing? Someone brought up $8.30 an hour for a 5-6 hour $50 game, but I wouldn't mind paying that for Torment. I would for most other games.

Shadow of the Colossus was short too, wasn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong there. Are games like that and Kameo worth playing anyway? Or at least close to it? Or are they being criticised of short length because they failed to deliver a complete and entertaining experience in that timeframe?

The quick question (because I loathe New Zealand timezones and always missing 3-4 pages ;)) is, are the newer "crop" of shorter games, or if that point is to be refuted, the newer crop of games, worth playing? Someone brought up $8.30 an hour for a 5-6 hour $50 game, but I wouldn't mind paying that for Torment. I would for most other games.

Shadow of the Colossus was short too, wasn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong there. Are games like that and Kameo worth playing anyway? Or at least close to it? Or are they being criticised of short length because they failed to deliver a complete and entertaining experience in that timeframe?

I don't know if you could call it a crop. It's just three games I've recently played.

I didnt actually buy any of them. Rented Genji and Gun and got sent KONG by mistake. Gave them a ring and they said try it and if you don't want to keep it send it back.

Never finished Shadow of Collusus. But I think it's around 15 hours give or take a few. I'll probably finish it when it's released here in february (along with ICO). I could well believe that something like Collosus could cause space issues though.

Well I'd have been pretty peeved if I'd have bought them, even though I enjoyed them. Paying

478327[/snapback]

Dunno if Spider is correct about Gun and KONG then there should be plenty of space left. Since no one seems to put PC specs on shopping sites these days cant really check.

Pirates is 1.5 GB (which is the most recent game I have to hand).

Everquest II is 6 GB of HD space (found the specs) But no idea what it would be for the latest stuff.

I know I get about 59 minutes of record time on the highest quality setting on a DVD how that would translate to games though not really sure.

Half-Life 2, with all the accompanying VAVLe admin (and optional other games) can be up around 10-15GB footprint on the disk.

I don't recall ANY games requiring multiple DVDs for distribution, and there are some big games out there. I guess once lots of pre-recorded FMV is added to games the space will be used up.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Half-Life 2, with all the accompanying VAVLe admin (and optional other games) can be up around 10-15GB footprint on the disk.

I don't recall ANY games requiring multiple DVDs for distribution, and there are some big games out there. I guess once lots of pre-recorded FMV is added to games the space will be used up.

Thanks. Had no idea anything had gone over 8.

There have been a couple of console games. Developers dont seem to particularly like using more than one disk. Unless they can actually fill most of disk 2/3 then I expect it makes more sense to them to cut things short.

Xenosaga II comes on three disks, but one of those is a 5 hour intro movie. Kind of funny you can have an intro that is almost as long as a game :p

I doubt there would be for the PC you only need to get the files to the HD to be unpacked in the main. Rather than play the whole thing off the disk.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

Well, SP: people, especially RPG fans, have been complaining of short games on the internet for a while now. Even Jade Empire was deemed short - and I would tend to agree. I finished it in 14 hours, no walkthrough, no powergaming, normal difficulty, got most of the stuff/quests.

My point is that it matters less that a game is short, if it delivers a level of entertainment great *and* complete enough to justify its cost. If it leaves you feeling cheated, then no. At least, it's not justified for you, is it?

On the subject of multiple CDs.. did FF7/8/9 even fill up their final CDs? Did the ending FMV occupy that much disk space?

Well, SP: people, especially RPG fans, have been complaining of short games on the internet for a while now. Even Jade Empire was deemed short - and I would tend to agree. I finished it in 14 hours, no walkthrough, no powergaming, normal difficulty, got most of the stuff/quests.

My point is that it matters less that a game is short, if it delivers a level of entertainment great *and* complete enough to justify its cost. If it leaves you feeling cheated, then no. At least, it's not justified for you, is it?

On the subject of multiple CDs.. did FF7/8/9 even fill up their final CDs? Did the ending FMV occupy that much disk space?

Took me 20 , still thought it was short.

I think it depends if you are being reasonable or not. Some people are just too demanding like expecting 100+ hour games. But a 20 hour RPG boarders on a joke, especially as most of that time will be listening to dialogue anyway with very few actual "game" hours. Probably why some people can finish JE in less than 5 hours by skipping the dialogue I would guess.

For purchasing I'd want a

478327[/snapback]

^All too true.

Myself, I can enjoy great games several times; like Mafia or Outcast.

Mafia was the spetznaz. Or was that the shiznit? Whatever, it rocked.

Whatever the word, it sure did.

I'm quite sure they're making a sequel, or a spiritual succesor.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Well, I usually didnt listen to the entire voiceover, I seem to have high standards for voiceover cause I can't stand 90% of them. (Reason I never played FFX for more than 10 minutes). And I read fast, so waiting is a bore.

I would imagine Baldur's Gate series sorta spoiled those who played it, though... really, BG2, whether one thinks its good or not, was a monumental undertaking in its size (and cohesiveness). Still, I even felt KOTOR series was a little too short. Maybe because the game LOOKS like "prologue, 4 planets, endgame".

FFVII's ending FMV was at least 20 minutes in length, and so was FFVIII's, which also had the FMVs continue during the credits. FFIX, I don't remember the length, but it was a shorter FMV - about 10-15 i think. I dabble in filmmaking but I wouldn't have a clue about how much disk space those FMVs would take up.

Well, I usually didnt listen to the entire voiceover, I seem to have high standards for voiceover cause I can't stand 90% of them. (Reason I never played FFX for more than 10 minutes). And I read fast, so waiting is a bore.

I would imagine Baldur's Gate series sorta spoiled those who played it, though... really, BG2, whether one thinks its good or not, was a monumental undertaking in its size (and cohesiveness). Still, I even felt KOTOR series was a little too short. Maybe because the game LOOKS like "prologue, 4 planets, endgame".

FFVII's ending FMV was at least 20 minutes in length, and so was FFVIII's, which also had the FMVs continue during the credits. FFIX, I don't remember the length, but it was a shorter FMV - about 10-15 i think. I dabble in filmmaking but I wouldn't have a clue about how much disk space those FMVs would take up.

I usually cut some slack for the import stuff. Although JE made me feel like I was in a cheap dubbed martial arts movie. Normally I'd play in Japanese with the subtitles given the choice(like in genji) if Genjo had only come with the english VO it would have been awful.

Me either but if a CD holds 700 MB then they really can't be all that big.

478327[/snapback]

A dvd-image is a copy of a dvd made for burning purposes. I've seen images for Gun and Kong for the PS2 and X-box at 1.25 GB. If you burn those to a DVD they should be playable on any (modded) console. I'd provide links, but those would point to illegal material.

The best I can do is this!

That points to the NFO for a so called scene release. It doesn't point to where you can find such stuff nor does the site contain any links to illegal material. So I hope that's ok with the mdoerators, if not I apologize.

Anyway, that states that the image for Gun (X-box version) was released in 26 rar files that were each 50 mb large. That totals 1300 mb. And no, the fact that they are compressed doesn't mean the file will be larger when uncompressed because files on the dvd use such a high compression to start with.

I have no idea how much space Gun takes up on a PC harddrive though since I don't want to buy a game that takes 6-10 hours to complete. But I can give another example.

Civ 4 has images that are 1.3 GB large. On my harddrive it takes up roughly 2.4GB. I'm guessing Gun would be similar.

In my experience it's still fairly rare that games take up more than 3 GB on a harddrive, but they're definitely getting larger.

I agree with this completely.

Perhaps it's less a complaint about length as the fact that one often can't determine how much one is going to like a given game without buying it first. And once bought, you can't (usually) return them for the full price (or any price). Where I live, you typically can't even exchange for a different game, only for another copy of the same game. I understand the reasons behind this but that doesn't mean I like it.

Demos are supposed to help with this, but I often find them lacking since I prefer my opinion of games to be based on more than one or two 'maps' or the tutorial levels - there's many games where I intially didn't like it but then ended up loving it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Jade is not a short game. It takes me 41 hours to complete in my first. Also, it has a nice replay value. I bought it first day, and still playing it. I love that game.

Now, i am waiting for Kingdom of Paradise for my PSP. It offers 50 hours of gameplay and Chinese-Japanase hibrid background. Gamespot says "The combination of both Chinese and Japanese influences gives Kingdom of Paradise its own unique feel, though in another way this makes the game quite reminiscent of this year's Jade Empire for the Xbox, another martial arts RPG set in a made-up version of the ancient Orient."

centinexx.png