Guild Wars

Petay

Hey all,

On my recent looks around game shops in my town, i noticed the Special Edition Guild Wars is out now.

What do you all think of this game, it seems pretty good to me, im thinking of maybe buying it, so people can either persuade me to or not to buy it :devil:...

P.S. It says its free online which is always a good thing :D

I bought it when it came out, but it never really captured my attention. I had a few friends playing it who loved it. It's got a pretty solid focus on PvP, so if that's your focus, you probably won't regret the purchase. Personally I thought as a MMORPG it was way inferior to WoW, and as a RPG it was way below quality NWN mods.

I am also considering WoW anyway, but im not really sure if i can afford to buy it and be able to pay the monthly fee as well, and im not sure if it will be totally worth it. :wub:

Grr, college income is hard :devil:

Edited by Petay

But does Guild Wars live up to anything of the standard of WoW though?

I have played/seen WoW being played at my friends house and thought it looks quite good, and im not sure if Guild Wars would be as good as that. :shifty:

I love Guild Wars, for several reasons. First, it is an "instanced" game, which means the only time you meet and greet with others online is in the towns. When you go on missions and quests, your group has the entire game to itself! This means those of us on slow dial-up can play and enjoy. Also, you can build your own party of henchies (who are surprisingly good!) so you aren't always stuck trying to find a party of griefer 12 year olds for missions and quests.

Yes, there is an arena PvP segment of the game, but I don't play it. I do only the PVE, which is the exploring, questing, and following the story missions. Yes, there IS a story. Not rocket science, but it held my interest. I've moved two characters to the end of the story missions, and into the difficult end-game stuff. Having a ball.

Again, there's no monthly fee to play and I have not done WoW (dial-up, don'tcha know... :shifty: ) but I really have enjoyed my time with Guild Wars. I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could compare it with Diablo, though. I mean, not even close.

From what I've heard, if you like ALOT of PvE focused stuff and a good community and social contact try COH. WoW's community is a little less in the way of friendly and the game's map that it's on is BIG. It's also based around loot. GW is entirly instanced so it's good for those with slow net connections, not sure about the social stuff, haven't played it myself. But the guys in the COH community that I talk to said it gets lonly running around in your instances.

Oh and if you only want to be a hero you get COH, only a villian COV if you want both you get both games and only play the same 15 dollers.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

WoW is a deeper game, but it should be, because you get what you pay for. GW has done a great job considering the fact they are not bringing in a huge amount of cash in monthly fees. They've done some updates and from what I hear, it's running smoothly. I would say GW is similiar to Diablo II in quite a few aspects. It's less of a hack n' slash, but it's got limited character types.

GW is definitely not a true MMORPG. Some love that, some don't. If you are looking for a free version of WoW, this won't do it. If you really want WoW and are worried about the $15 a month, I'd try to buy in 3 or 6 month subscriptions. You save money on the overall cost that way, and it's about the same cost as a regular priced game. Plus, I remember in College it was much easier making one big payment then coming up with money every month. Student loan time at Fry's :-

Seriously though, try the WoW trial subscription. If you can live without it after a week, then go buy GW.

Guild Wars - great for PvP, and somewhat fun for PvE. I like PvE, and I liked GW for about a month & a half of faily soild playing. It's very combat oriented, no non-combat skills, just run out and kill stuff. The quests were ok, but still your average RPG-lite fetch & carry stuff that's just meant to get you to a new area.

Since I don't like PvP, I got bored pretty fast. The PvE part of GW is fun enough, and well laid-out, but it doesn't have the obsessive quality that makes me stick with it. I also didn't like the 'items' that much...they weren't very interesting at the time I played. It has more similarities to DungeonSiege than to Diablo2, IMO, although of course, all 3 are hack-n-slash stuff.

WoW is a lot of fun, even solo...the world is neat, and huge, and fun to explore, but you'll hate all the running around to get from A to B. We're talking 15-20 minute runs or more sometimes. You will get lost and won't know 'what do to do' (quest-wise) many many times. WoW has more stuff to waste great chunks of your time with, like learning the blacksmithing trade etc., so if that's your bag, you'll have great fun with that.

It's hard to get a PUG going in WoW tho, at least early on where everyone likes to go solo most of the time (unless you have a guild to rush you, of course).

The general community of WoW...well, it's Blizzard, you can take a guess.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hmm, at the moment it seems like WoW is probably the better choice out of the two, although i might have to do what Hurlshot said, and try it out for a month, or pay for 3 to 6 months at a time :-

It's hard to say what the "Blizzard" community is now. If your looking to avoid Bnet kiddies, I recommend jumping on an RP server. That doesn't mean you need to Role Play all the time, typically that's only expected in the local chat. 95% of my conversations are in guild chat with my buddies anyways, and we choose not to RP there. RP servers just tend to have a more mature player base.

Sorry for the noob-ish question, but:

"If your looking to avoid Bnet kiddies, I recommend jumping on an RP server."

What do you mean by this? :- What are Bnet kiddies? :">

I actually really quite enjoyed the sense of community you get from the game when i was playing it at a friends house a while ago, so i have no real problems with that.

I understand that WoW is actually a massive game, having seen it in work, but isn't there easier ways to make traveling distances shorter. I think i remember seeing some kind of winged animal being used to fly over long distances in the game? :wub:

Bnet is one of the worst communities ever to exsist... more often than not you will run into a guy who's got more numbers in his name than letters and everyone is attempting to be an elitist even if you kick their groin so hard a pair of nuts pops out of their mouths they will say they are better than you (why? because they rock and the only way you could beat them was by cheating).

Bnet seems to be alot like that. they also have Character Marraiges which seem kinda screwy. COH seems to have a larger percentage of women (probably drawn by the costume creator...)

Well, truthfully, people don't actually talk much in WoW - not in open public chat anyway - except in the Barrens, which seems to be the accepted 'chatroom' of WoW. I'm sure lots of intelligent and fun Guild/party chats are going on that aren't visible. I'm just referring to the visible public yakking.

I'll put it this way - in WoW, my ignore list was often packed, and I'd often turn off general chat entirely, especially in the Barrens..

I tried the RP servers briefly...it didn't seem all that different to me (social-wise) than the 'normal' servers.

And, Petay, one more thing - WoW is definitely not the kind of game where you can log on for an hour and get very far at all, so if you're often very short on gaming-time, GW might be more rewarding because of that.

If you play WoW for the free month and like it enough to get to lvl 20 or more, I'd definitely go for the 3-6 month payment plan, because you'll probably be playing at least that long before you get totally bored.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

@Petay - re: traveling in WoW

yeah, there are 'flight paths' - but they are not in every town, and initially, you have to find them before you can use them. At level 40 (if you have the gold) you can buy a mount which speeds up land travel, but the distances are so long sometimes that even that takes a while. Mounts are very useful for outrunning monsters tho...

So the flight-paths/mounts are useful and definitely help, but you will still spend a hell of a lot of time travelling from place to place.

Even the mages can only teleport/make portals to certain main-hub towns. Useful, but it's no D2 town-portal spell hehe :wub:

I wasn't referring to that, I'm a COH geek so I'll be harping COH every chance I get.

Coh has Travel powers, Flight, Superspeed, Teleport, and Superjump. You get them at about lvl 14. this means we dont' have to sit around for half an hr trying to get from point a to point b.

I don't mind some travelling in a game...can make a nice atmosphere and seem more 'real' than being able to super-sonic your way everywere...but Blizz went a little extreme. Heheh

I think they do have plans for more eventual flight-paths tho.

Edit - The Hunters speed skills are NOT good for out-running monsters....but hunters rock.

Edited by LadyCrimson