Gameboy Micro

dufflover

Is the 2" (5cm) LCD screen on a Gameboy Micro TOO SMALL to use properly/comfortably/enjoyably?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is the 2" (5cm) LCD screen on a Gameboy Micro TOO SMALL to use properly/comfortably/enjoyably?

• Yes: don't own one but on paper/other device with small LCD
    • Yes: and own one or played one
    • Yes: alright for a kid...but you're not a small kid...
    • Other
    • No: you get used to it easily
    • No: in person/your own hand it's not too bad

Apparently I've won a Gameboy Micro from a 7-Eleven Slurpee competiton (the BrainFreeze thing if you live in Australia or have had similar things in your country). Now I say apparently because I don't actually have the thing in my hand, no confirmation messages or anything like - the only thing which says I am one of the winners is their website.

Point here is don't turn it into a "PSP/DS/whatever is better" like all those other GBM reviews/forums cos well, I'm not paying or buying anything.

To the point, I just looked up the specs of the Micro and yes, it is bloody small - probably too small for it's own good, especially the the 2" LCD screen (5cm). :ermm:

Here are some reviews which I found useful in terms of looking at LCD size:

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/652/652641p1.html

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000793043854

I know know, why don't you wait and try it and then decide? Well yes, but if it's garunteed to be a strain on the eyes and really, not fun then I'd rather try and maintain a higher resell value by not opening it at all.

Thanks for any opinions.

Edit: The screen resolution is the same 240x160 as the it's older brother, the GBA-SP (which I use pretty often in a game of Mario golf with my cousin), so the screen is sharper but yeh...is that irrelevant because of it's size.

Edited by dufflover

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

I dont see any reason for owning one since the DS does the job. The screen is actually very good though. It's well lit and very clear.

The Famicom Micro(version that looks like the old Famicom console) sold out in Japan over a weekend.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It's a little larger than the average mobile phone screen (which was the idea to start with) so anyone used to gaming on a phone shouldnt have a problem with it.

You wouldnt want to stare at it for 10 hours, but thats not the purpose of handheld anyway.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

2" is too darn small >_<

That is too small. I want to be able to see the game playing without using a magniflying glass.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

2" is too darn small :wacko:

That's what she said. :(

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Apparently I've won a Gameboy Micro from a 7-Eleven Slurpee competiton (the BrainFreeze thing if you live in Australia or have had similar things in your country). Now I say apparently because I don't actually have the thing in my hand, no confirmation messages or anything like - the only thing which says I am one of the winners is their website.

Point here is don't turn it into a "PSP/DS/whatever is better" like all those other GBM reviews/forums cos well, I'm not paying or buying anything.

To the point, I just looked up the specs of the Micro and yes, it is bloody small - probably too small for it's own good, especially the the 2" LCD screen (5cm).  :thumbsup:

Here are some reviews which I found useful in terms of looking at LCD size:

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/652/652641p1.html

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000793043854

I know know, why don't you wait and try it and then decide? Well yes, but if it's garunteed to be a strain on the eyes and really, not fun then I'd rather try and maintain a higher resell value by not opening it at all.

Thanks for any opinions.

Edit: The screen resolution is the same 240x160 as the it's older brother, the GBA-SP (which I use pretty often in a game of Mario golf with my cousin), so the screen is sharper but yeh...is that irrelevant because of it's size.

I'll take it if you don't want it.

Two inches is pretty small, but then again...How small is the DS screen?

Bigger than that (and there are two of them of course).

As I said the mircro is designed for people who game on mobiles and want a similiar sized handheld device. Both the DS and the PSP require a large pocket.

For anyone who has played a game on a phone, the screen size isnt really an issue.

478327[/snapback]

Two inches is pretty small, but then again...How small is the DS screen?

Bigger than that (and there are two of them of course).

As I said the mircro is designed for people who game on mobiles and want a similiar sized handheld device. Both the DS and the PSP require a large pocket.

For anyone who has played a game on a phone, the screen size isnt really an issue.

Sure, not for a game like Tetris, or Poker. But what about playing games like NBA Live, in 3D in an inch and a half phone screen?

Having tried a micro when I was testing out the differences between it and a DS for my brother as a gift I can say that the Micro's screen is about the smallest that I would want a handheld to be, although it was quite crisp and clear.

Kotorkyle: Take a look at the games available for the micro.

Edited by Deraldin

Well I reckon the Gameboy Advance SP is a very good size - I can see how it is a bit blocky when "in transport" but the screen size is probably as small as I'm wlling to go.

(ofcourse the whole point is that it could end up not being that bad)

Having tried a micro when I was testing out the differences between it and a DS for my brother as a gift I can say that the Micro's screen is about the smallest that I would want a handheld to be, although it was quite crisp and clear.

So was it too small in the end? Too much squinting :) ? What game(s) did you try on it?

Edited by dufflover

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Well I reckon the Gameboy Advance SP is a very good size - I can see how it is a bit blocky when "in transport" but the screen size is probably as small as I'm wlling to go.

So was it too small in the end? What game(s) did you try on it?

I played Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. I thought it was actually easier to read the text on that then on the SP because it seemed so much clearer. It wasn't too small, but as I said, it's as small as I would be comfortable with. Anything smaller would just seem too awkward.

Same games as the Nintendo SP. What does that have to do with anything? :)

I think the point is to look at the games you'd be playing (just Gameboy Advance games) and if you end playing something with a lot of small....stuff, then it might be hard to play on the Micro.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Same games as the Nintendo SP. What does that have to do with anything? :)

I think the point is to look at the games you'd be playing (just Gameboy Advance games) and if you end playing something with a lot of small....stuff, then it might be hard to play on the Micro.

I was actually thinking that you generally aren't going to find many games for which screen size is an issue as they have been designed to be played on the small screen. Even the small text in Fire Emblem was quite clear and very easy to read.

Don't underestimate just how effective the screen is. It might be small, but unless you suffer from vision problems it's on par with the SP screen because of the additional clarity.

Fire Emblem is very text heavy if you can play that with clarity, you can play anything.

478327[/snapback]

Fire Emblem is very text heavy if you can play that with clarity, you can play anything.

Nice to have some good experiences. I guess when/if it comes it will come, but I couldn't help but see how Mario Golf (I play that GBA game the most) would look;

this pic will be pretty much the exact size on a 17" 1280x1024 LCD. It will appear slightly sharper on the actual Micro but still, that yellow power bar is pretty thin so imagine trying to look for a moving power-up indicator dot/bar.

Micro:

post-10482-1132112773_thumb.jpg

Advance SP (2.9" screen, again exact size on a 17" 1280x LCD):

post-10482-1132113243_thumb.jpg

Edited by dufflover

sigpic0yb.jpg

I'm sat at about arms length here and I can see it fine(even before you click the picture). The thing with the screenshot is , it's not as crisp as the actual screen either your not really getting the lighting effect. If you find it uncomfortable though, then by all means feel free to sell it on.

478327[/snapback]